High Power turbos vs Tow Powers

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
has anybody here ever owned a 6.0 with a dirty turbo? i remember pulling a boat home from Havasu once and making 40+psi on a hill. got on and off the throttle a few times and vanes unstuck and kept pulling the same hill at 20psi. would i have been better off pulling it at 40psi, since more boost equals more power?

Garrett

Smokin_Joe

Reaction score
Very true. Large cfm #s won't do a Damn thing without the pressure to get that air into the motor. I deal a great amount with pressure and volume in water, in order to utilize the volume you need the pressure to achieve it. That's why i believe 50 PSI is not enough pressure to make big HP #s with our poor flowing heads and the limited time the intake vavles are open.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Your saying you need higher boost pressure to make good power? I dont think that's necessarily true. If you take stock turbos and make 50psi then take large compounds and make 50 psi, which one is going to make more power? The less restriction you have in your intake tract to the motor the less boost you need to make the same power because youre flowing more air freely.

On the other hand, think of a garden hose. If you turn it on and let it flow freely it puts out x amount at say y psi because its flowing pretty freely. If you put your thumb over the end of it the volume (x) goes down and the pressure (y) goes up. That's why like a lift pump pumps less the higher you crank up the psi. Inversely proportionate. Air in the intake tract is the same concept. You can cause the truck to have less boost and make more power.

Smokin_Joe

Reaction score
The diameter of the tubing, heads, and valve size are a constant variable. If we had large intake ports like say dmax heads then yes, the cfm requires less pressure. Also velocity is another variable that would help push air through the intake trac n x amount of time.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind is the the higher your boost is the more CFM the Turbo can produce and make to.. With compounds to make big power you will need to have higher boost numbers.. I guess it all depends on the turbos being used to. As long a you are in the compressure map range...

Not shure if this was mentioned yet... If I am all wet "kick" me out of here.. but before you do explain you reason please..

lubeowner

Reaction score
On the other hand, think of a garden hose. If you turn it on and let it flow freely it puts out x amount at say y psi because its flowing pretty freely. If you put your thumb over the end of it the volume (x) goes down and the pressure (y) goes up.

That is the similar example that I use, the hose, but I use it to fill a bucket. You have to understand your example when fully thought out in the proper way only goes to support Joe even more.

Once you get this point then it will all make sense. In your example the heads are your thumb. The turbos are not the restriction they are the pump. Until you do something to change the heads and cylinder flow, the restriction does not change. Maybe a ported intake takes away some of the restrictions but the heads are still your thumb. It is exciting to see what those heads will do on Rudy's truck.

Back to your hose example, so you have this hose filling this bucket with your thumb on it. How can you get more water to pass this restriction? Increase the pressure and shove it threw faster. If you don't increase pressure there will be no increase in flow past your thumb. It doesn't matter if you have a 500 gal/min pump or a 2 gal/min pump, if they both build the same pressure the same amount of water is flowing.

808stroker

Reaction score
i see what youre saying. But im picturing a garden hose to a fire hose. You can fill the bucket with the same amount of water pressure and block both with your thumb, but the fire hose will win everytime. Then again i probably have no idea what im taling about

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Constant variable? :)

I have twin 1000mm turbos on my truck. Takes a while to get 'em spooled and I had to mount them in the box but at 15psi it will blow the rods right out through the oil pan. I have the biggest wiener out of everybody!

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
I found a pic of my new turbo on the delivery truck.

TurboLag.jpg

pog

Reaction score
derail. brace yourself hillbilly. gonna be custom mounted in my bed
bigassturbos.jpg

Latest posts

Members online