High Power turbos vs Tow Powers

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I agree this shouldnt be a topic of discussion but *** it were here.

Stock turbod trucks make 50psi @ 550 HP

High power turbod trucks make 750 HP @ 55 psi

Max power trucks make 850 @ 55 psi...

Guess we need to see intake temps but intercooling kinda levels that out.

Dense air is what makes power

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
At the power levels that Joe is referring to the Tow-powers would be working pretty hard. The change to the high-powers would require less of them. Meaning turbo speed would be need to be less. So the compressor would be operating in a more efficient area and so volumetric efficiency would increase (cooler IAT's). Increase the VE and the cfm demand of the motor increases. Also EGT's would would drop as they have a direct correllation to IAT's. CFM=Engine Size x Engine Rpm x VE.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
I feel like I've about reached the limits of my "work stock" "tow powers". Whatever you wanna call em. Hence, my consideration for larger chargers!

I'd rather have durability + efficiency = long term than efficiency + stressing durabilty = short term.

Just my .02

Wayne

Reaction score

Smokin_Joe

Reaction score
At the power levels that Joe is referring to the Tow-powers would be working pretty hard. The change to the high-powers would require less of them. Meaning turbo speed would be need to be less. So the compressor would be operating in a more efficient area and so volumetric efficiency would increase (cooler IAT's). Increase the VE and the cfm demand of the motor increases. Also EGT's would would drop as they have a direct correllation to IAT's. CFM=Engine Size x Engine Rpm x VE.

What does it take to get more out of high powers? You would think those turbos on a 6.4 should produce more boost.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
What does it take to get more out of high powers? You would think those turbos on a 6.4 should produce more boost.

I have to be honest here, the more i read what you write, the more i cant help but feel like you don't know chit about turbochargers. If that's the case, say so, please, because this is just getting to be redundant.

Boost doesn't show sizing or ability, it's a measurement. Lbs/min and compressor maps are a gret starting point when trying to figure out a turbo's ability. Why do you think it is that Garrett doesn't list their turbo's by how much boost they make rather then lbs/min and maps? Do some research

Smokin_Joe

Reaction score
But tadd just said they are well within the range. Sounds like they are capable of much more? Why not crank it up a little? Unless you prefer to stare at a certain 6.0 tailgate..LOL

jdgleason

Reaction score

Joe more boost is great but if the pressure ratio is out of the efficiency range of the compressor map then there's no point cranking the boost up more.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/sites/default/files/PDF/Turbo Tech 103.pdf

Read that and you might understand what we're trying to explain.

:whs: Whats your deal with boost? Its not about boost pressure....

Smokin_Joe

Reaction score
Jesus! I'm talking about boost #S compared to other hp turbo builds. They are all >60psi and all make around 800hp or less. I'm not talking boost # s in generalities.

White_monster

Reaction score
Ya well within the range is a good thing. Means air temps exiting the turbos is useable. More boost doesn't mean more power. At a certain point more boost is going to drop power due to really high intake temps. I'm sure the high powers could be cranked up more for the track but said user wants his truck to be useable as a truck, meaning tow trailers, and not have to mess with settings. If all it took to get power was turn boost up we wouldn't have bigger turbo options now would we and we have bigger turbo options so I guess more boost isn't the answer.

White_monster

Reaction score
Jesus! I'm talking about boost #S compared to other hp turbo builds. They are all >60psi and all make around 800hp or less. I'm not talking boost # s in generalities.

Ever think that maybe the 800hp number on fuel is where they are most efficient and useable for the street? Oh wait you are stuck on boost pressure still like when a teenager gets their first turbo car or truck.

Smokin_Joe

Reaction score
How much air can we push into a 6.4? It's seems a common orifice or restriction is that "wall" that keeps my lill tp turbos very close to the hp# s of the big bad boys. It's ***ing close...

Latest posts

Members online