HUGE 6.4L build project complete

Reaction score
Ya Morgan I agree. Like I said before it's hard not to get stuck on the numbers but we are going to dyno in the next couple weeks so we'll see how that comes out. We still need to set up the wastegate a little better. It might be opening a little early and I could be alosing a little power from that. I also want to run the truck in Seattle at sea level and when it's cooler than 100 degrees at the track. I think we could shave off .03 seconds and get to that 11 second mark I wanted to hit. If we can do that then the calculator on this forum shows we'd be over 800 at the wheels. I think that's do able and I live at sea level so it would be a better test than running it at higher elevation and higher temps than I see where I live. Honestly I just want to be able to say I have an 11 second truck. The hell with the numbers. Hopefully we'll hit that mark later this year. If not maybe for Christmas I'll get a nitrous kit. One way or another I'm getting this truck into the 11s damn it. ;)

I like!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
for you, the 60ft is the key. ill be more than glad to walk you thru it.

dmkolb

Reaction score
I think I need to find a happy place for my boosted launches at the drag strip. First run was at 15 psi. 60ft was 1.819 and 12.53 in the 1/4. No tire slip at all. second run was 20 psi launch just a slight chirp of the tires. 60ft was 1.753 and 12.46 1/4. Last run was a 28 to 30 psi launch. Some tire slip. 60ft was as you can see 1.828 but fastest 1/4 time of 12.38.

I had my tires which are BF Goodrich all terrains at 30 psi. I'll try 25 psi next time for the tire pressure. I'm guessing 20 psi launches is probably where I need to be I'm guessing from my previous 60ft times.

My reaction times were OK as I was leaving on the 3rd yellow light.

Any advice is always welcome.

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
I just spent a few minutes looking back at your build and everything and all I can really see is you need to try to drop some weight and get to sea level. I'm not sure what is up with your 60' times since you have traction bars already and you say it didn't spin except for the crazy 30psi boosted launch. All I know is, if I launched mine that hard you would probably see air under all four tires... no way mine would ever be able to launch that hard.

I go by rpm and got all advice from Mike aka bigrpowr. 25psi front tires, 20psi rear, 1800 rpm, leave on the last yellow. My truck tune only at 7700lbs cuts consistent 1.7x's 60' with a best of 1.70 and ran 12.83 in the 1/4.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I think I need to find a happy place for my boosted launches at the drag strip. First run was at 15 psi. 60ft was 1.819 and 12.53 in the 1/4. No tire slip at all. second run was 20 psi launch just a slight chirp of the tires. 60ft was 1.753 and 12.46 1/4. Last run was a 28 to 30 psi launch. Some tire slip. 60ft was as you can see 1.828 but fastest 1/4 time of 12.38.

I had my tires which are BF Goodrich all terrains at 30 psi. I'll try 25 psi next time for the tire pressure. I'm guessing 20 psi launches is probably where I need to be I'm guessing from my previous 60ft times.

My reaction times were OK as I was leaving on the 3rd yellow light.

Any advice is always welcome.

more boost at launch is not the answer. try 30 front 25 rear , leave at 1750 rpm and start increasing from there until it hops. you should easily be in the 1.6's , but if the trans is slipping out of the hole that could be why you're seeing variance in your times. it certainly would not be the trans I would want behind my 700+ truck. and certainly not the converter.

dmkolb

Reaction score
Trans doesn't slip and neither does the TC. Yes I monitor TC slip with my dashdaq there is none. I'm extremely happy with the Stage 5 ATS trans they built for me. It's exactly what I wanted in my truck. The trans is a ATS Stage Five 5R110 transmission with billet input shaft, billet intermediate shaft, billet overdrive planet, modified pump, modified valve body and Raybestos clutch packs. The TC is an ATS 5 star 5 clutch. It's rated at 2200 torque and I'm no where near that. It doesn't slip. Shifts perfectly at wide open.

Weight wise it's as light as it's going to get. Spare tire is gone and skid plates are removed. It has a A.R.E. cap that I have no plans to remove. Plus I want to know how fast it is in street every day driving form so 8600 is what it weighs with me in it.

I will try the RPM launches the next time we go. I'll also try the 25 psi front and 20 psi rear the next time as well. Thanks for that advice.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Mike, how much did your truck weigh when you were cutting 1.6X's? 8600 is a heavy mo fo... that could be one of the factors here too. Takes alot to get 8600 up and going.

dmkolb

Reaction score
We went to Dynomite Diesel's dyno event. Truck made 719 on first run with water/ meth off. It made 782 on second run with water/ meth on. It's loved the meth. Not sure why people think 6.4s don't respond to water/ meth but I have a dyno sheet that says other wise. I still want more so I think it's gonna get sprayed before we go to the even next year. Took 3rd in the twins class. Tons of Dodges, a few Chevys and only 3 Fords there. Every one was shocked when the truck laid down respectable numbers. I guess no one around here thinks a Ford can get it done. ;)

007d2a9e-118f-4329-b6db-fdd7f74992e7_zps1e626c8c.jpg

B585Ford

Reaction score
We went to Dynomite Diesel's dyno event. Truck made 719 on first run with water/ meth off. It made 782 on second run with water/ meth on. It's loved the meth. Not sure why people think 6.4s don't respond to water/ meth but I have a dyno sheet that says other wise. I still want more so I think it's gonna get sprayed before we go to the even next year. Took 3rd in the twins class. Tons of Dodges, a few Chevys and only 3 Fords there. Every one was shocked when the truck laid down respectable numbers. I guess no one around here thinks a Ford can get it done. ;)

007d2a9e-118f-4329-b6db-fdd7f74992e7_zps1e626c8c.jpg

Congrats on the showing at that event. IMO with only run with water/meth and one run without, I don't think you can conclude that water/meth made that much more power...there are many factors that go into dyno numbers that aren't completely related to the actual power.

dmkolb

Reaction score
Not sure how else to look at it. Truck was completely warmed up. Made the first run. After the run we turned on the water meth system and made a second run within a minute of the first. I run a 50/50 mix. Two 375 nozzles and one 625 nozzle are what I run. The results are posted above. I don't want to turn this into a debate on the water meth thing. I'm just showing what it did for me and I like it. Glad I have.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I have no interest in debating water/meth on this thread. I won't claim to be an expert but I have observed dyno numbers and graphs for several years and I have seen how much numbers can vary on back to back pulls so my post was primarily for guys who haven't had much experience with dynos....based on your post, I am sure they would think they got to run out and buy a water/meth kit for their 6.4 cause it will give them 60+ HP. IMO, doing only ONE pull on each is not sufficient to draw any conclusions. As proof to that statement, to me, your first pull seems low in HP for your setup. I would expect duals with 30s, ported heads, and the 59/75 to make more power than 719. Unless that is stingy dyno, I suspect there was some operator error on the first run.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
B585Ford - I do understand what your saying, he is also running 3 nozzles and a 50/50 mix. I would expect to see some change.

Dmkolb - Nice runs man. Puts you in the wheel house of where the hp calcs were off your strip run. I think with alil effort your be into the 800s and 11s..and by effort I mean SPRAY :thumbsup:

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
I wonder what the deal is with your numbers being a little lower than some of the other guys with those chargers and 30% nozzles. I know I read Jared had two different trucks dyno 811 with that setup but you have A LOT of extra work done and are making less power....? That's strange. Maybe bump up to 60%?

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
I wonder what the deal is with your numbers being a little lower than some of the other guys with those chargers and 30% nozzles. I know I read Jared had two different trucks dyno 811 with that setup but you have A LOT of extra work done and are making less power....? That's strange. Maybe bump up to 60%?

Jason Bigelow did it with twin pumps and 30% on Duramax Tuner's Dyno @ 813.

Coady Bell did it with a dragonfire and 30% on Scheids Dyno @ 811.

Never know, every truck is different

capt dong

Reaction score
seems a lot different. i would be disappointed in those numbers with a fully built engine. thats like a 100 hp difference before the meth comparing the op's truck to jason and coadys truck. something has to be off.

dmkolb

Reaction score
The dyno we ran on is a 248 HW (heavy wide) dyno jet with 7500 lbs rollers. It is not a loaded dyno. As for dyno operator error I doubt it as the guy sits in the truck with you with a box and all he does is hit the start button right before you give it hell. Started at the same MPH of around 70 each time.

I still have to go back in a few weeks and dial in my waste gate. We will make a bunch of pulls when we do that so I'll be able to post what those numbers looked like.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Those are some heavy rollers. I think the 248C has 4800 lb rollers and has been deemed a pretty accurate dyno over the years when comparing dyno numbers to track times.

As far as methanol goes, I've heard that it causes valve stem wear.

Latest posts

Members online