HUGE 6.4L build project complete

dmkolb

Reaction score
Those are some heavy rollers. I think the 248C has 4800 lb rollers and has been deemed a pretty accurate dyno over the years when comparing dyno numbers to track times.

As far as methanol goes, I've heard that it causes valve stem wear.

I asked the owner about the dyno while there and he said 7500 lbs rollers. I'm guessing he's right. Lots of guys at the event said his is probably as close to legit numbers as you can get. Several other places are all over the place with numbers but most who dyno often for testing and what not prefer this one.

There is no loading on this dyno. They of course can bring the rollers to a stop with a brake but it's not used for loading the dyno.

As for the valve stem wear I guess time will tell. I also don't spray all the time as Snow suggested for better MPG. I don't have it even start spraying until 30 psi and it's at full spray at 40 psi. I see boost max around 57 psi. So in a day it may spray once for just a few seconds but I'm not beating on it every day either so some days it doesn't spray at all. I just use it to help keep the EGTs down when there is heavy throttle and on wide open pulls as a power adder.

Reaction score
57 psi is all the factory sensor reads. And more than likely your past that. And more than likely your making 80+ psi of BP. Get that gate dialed in and cut those numbers down some. That will net you more power.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
hopefully you got some of the koozies I made for the event. good group of guys up there.

dmkolb

Reaction score
I have been monitoring drive pressure on my dashdaq. It never gets over 41 psi.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I have been monitoring drive pressure on my dashdaq. It never gets over 41 psi.

something is wrong. its WAY over 41 or that thing wouldn't spool, ever. those turbos will not function right in positive crossover (when the bp is less than the boost).

the reason it gained so much from the meth , is because there is so much fuel there. meth also helps with unburnt fuel , lower the combustion event temp.

just an FYI , with high powers and 110's I made 678 , but trap showed 800 ... ill bet comparing lenny's dyno to another will be very close. it accurate with diesels, and he sure as hell knows exactly what he's doing. don't you have big tires too ? those hurt more than most think. ive seen 30hp difference from 32's to 37's , same dyno same tune .

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Stock hpfp running my first set of custom files with a shorter pw. It came up about 3psi on both sides with the revised file with some more pw added. I would like to get Matt up here to do some custom tuning one of these days to see what else we can do but right now I'm just low on fuel to really make these turbos shine.

Last edited:

B585Ford

Reaction score
Stock hpfp running my first set of custom files with a shorter pw. It came up about 3psi on both sides with the revised file with some more pw added. I would like to get Matt up here to do some custom tuning one of these days to see what else we can do but right now I'm just low on fuel to really make these turbos shine.

What PW and RP are you running? I gotta get with Matt to trim my PW for the 15% nozzles. I am thinking I should be able maintain RP with around 2.1. Like you said, I would love to be able to live tune, but I doubt I will be in Texas any time in the near future.

dmkolb

Reaction score
I was off on back pressure. Monitoring the wrong thing. Ya Morgan was right it closer to 80 and I can monitor actual boost through my Snow Performance controller and It's seeing boost closer to low 60s.

As for PW I think Matt has is around 2.3 to 2.35 or 2300 to 2350 depending how you look at it. He's got it maxed as much as he is comfortable giving me. I haven't watched RP much when I have been wide open so guessing it 25K or more but again I monitor it on my dashdaq but haven't been looking at it when I'm running it hard.

dmkolb

Reaction score
I checked on the way home. Boost is hitting 62 psi. Back pressure is hitting 86 psi and my rail pressure is right around 25000K on wide open long pulls. I'm done beating on the truck until we get the waste gate set. I think that's way to far apart for the boost numbers and drive pressure. Hopefully early next month we'll be able to get it back on the dyno for tuning purposes. It'll be the same one we dynoed on last weekend so it'll be interesting to see how much we pick up from just getting the gate set right.

madman1234509

Reaction score
What are you using to monitor this stuff? If its a spartan or minimaxx im pretty sure our stock sensors max out at those numbers. May be time to get mechanical gauges before you get all crazy with trying to tune in a gate.

dmkolb

Reaction score
I'm usingmy Dashdaq to monitor drive pressure and rail pressure. I have seen rail pressure higher as it spiked to over 25K and then came down to around 24950 somewhere. Not sure what the max is for the sensor monitoring drive pressure. I can monitor boost pressure from my water/ meth controller as it has it's own sensor which reads higher than the stock sensor the dashdaq reads from.

Latest posts

Members online