Just got my Gearhead tunes! Questions/suggestions on settings, etc.

Jmoore1225

Reaction score
Mine shifts better than stock, & I haven't put but 50 miles on it!! Hoping to see these 14mpg's around town everyone is talking... Was only getting 12-12.5 on RCD. EGT's took a substantial drop as hell I'm all Smiles

gman1

Reaction score
Mine shifts 1-2 fairly quick and holds on to 3rd for a little while longer before going to 5th and OD. Do yall's downshift to 5th when you let off kind of like Tow/Haul mode does? Then when you get below 5th the TC unlocks

How is the fuel rail pressure at 55 MPH? Is it bouncing around like the IDP tunes?

6.4psd916

Reaction score
I didn't have the surging issues with IDP tunes, but my gearhead tunes are silky smooth, and just plain rip when your foot is all the way down.

Ronin

Reaction score
I didn't have the surging issues with IDP tunes, but my gearhead tunes are silky smooth, and just plain rip when your foot is all the way down.

I thought I was the only one that was having the surging issue, but that's obviously not the case. To be honest, even if I wasn't having that particular issue the feedback on Gearhead's tuning was sounding good enough for me to give them a shot, and the pricing for the (4) tunes was awesome!

Ronin

Reaction score
Ronin what's your typical EGT's around 60-70 cruising?

They're LOW(-er) IIRC, although I never panicked when I saw my EGTs when running IDP Xtreme Street, and when I did go WOT I wouldn't stay there too long anyway...

I have a little bit of a road trip today and I'll be able to give you an accurate number...

6.4psd916

Reaction score
My egts run about 620-640 at 70, if I use od lockout and am out of od at 70, they are around 580, and have instant crazy throttle response.

Jmoore1225

Reaction score
That's about what I'm seeing, was curious what Ronin's because he has the upgraded down pipe that I've been thinking about... Thank you

3brorce

Reaction score
That's about what I'm seeing, was curious what Ronin's because he has the upgraded down pipe that I've been thinking about... Thank you[/QUOTE
Are you running the race or hot street? How does the power compare to 585 and drivability?

Jmoore1225

Reaction score
Hot street.... Drivability there is no comparison, hot street is FAR superior!!! Much lower EGT's across the board, no surging.... I think hot street may be more powerful now that I've drove it a bit. They are just really different set-ups, RCD is really torquey & kinda seems to lose steam once you get into 4th & 5th. Hot street seems to just roll into the power & just keeps pulling!

Ronin

Reaction score
Ambient temperature today was high 40s to low 50s. I have 3.55 gears (and stock tires on factory 20s), so right at 70 MPH I'm on the RPM tick mark for 1750 RPMs.

On dead level ground at that speed I was 5-7 PSI of boost and my EGTs were 475-550 degrees. (Not that it matters but tranny temp was right around 160 degrees).

That's on the Street tune (not Hot Street), pretty "cool" if you ask me...

Ronin

Reaction score
That's about what I'm seeing, was curious what Ronin's because he has the upgraded down pipe that I've been thinking about... Thank you

Sorry, I missed the comment about the upgraded down pipe...

IMHO powerstoker67's (Sean @ SDP) downpipe (mine's ceramic coated) and the Spartan cold side charge pipe make a HUGE difference in EGTs. (I think Sean may make Spartan's cold side charge pipe for them, so I want to make sure I give credit where it's due...?)

They may not be a big deal power wise, but faster spooling and lower EGTs is always bitchin'! If you've ever seen the crimp in the factory downpipe you'd throw up a little in your mouth...and the crimp in the CAC pipe is likewise quite constrictive.

I'm not a physicist, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night...and any time you compress air it gets hotter, so getting some more ID back in those pipes makes a big difference, especially when you're adding fuel and boost to the equation!

Both those pipes are in my truck and my buddy's '08 F350 (Spartan tuned) and we both experienced a drop in EGTs of between 100-150 degrees depending on a variety of conditions. That's pretty significant.

Neither pipe is terribly expensive for what they are and what they do either, nor are they particularly difficult to install yourself (the downpipe is a little more challenging, but nothing a Sawz-All can't handle!) so now there's something else you need to budget for and must have!

Jmoore1225

Reaction score
What's the spartan Cold side pipe? Same as a no limit & the pipe on Rudy's? The exhaust was installed on my truck when I bought it, my downside pipe is damn near or is the same size as my 4 inch exhaust, can't really tell if it's factory or not!!! Your temps are certainly much lower than mine & I want low as possible as I'll be towing my boat in the summer. It & the trailer weigh in between 11-12k lbs...

My temps now mimic woodboys & that's on hot street....

Ronin

Reaction score
What's the spartan Cold side pipe? Same as a no limit & the pipe on Rudy's? The exhaust was installed on my truck when I bought it, my downside pipe is damn near or is the same size as my 4 inch exhaust, can't really tell if it's factory or not!!! Your temps are certainly much lower than mine & I want low as possible as I'll be towing my boat in the summer. It & the trailer weigh in between 11-12k lbs...

My temps now mimic woodboys & that's on hot street....

This is Spartan's cold-side CAC pipe HERE. Not sure if that's the same as No Limit or Rudy's...? The factory downpipe is very misleading because it LOOKS like a 4-inch one, but it's a dual-walled pipe which reduces the ID of it even more, particularly near the frame-rail notch (or where ever that nasty bend on the stocker is). Powerstroker67's downpipe is a two-piece too which makes it a lot easier to install than a one-piece...

I don't tow a lot, but when I do (around 8K pounds max), I like my EGTs as low as possible!

Stay cool my friends!

Latest posts

Members online