Need a PCM

DocBar

Reaction score
A buddy of mine had a brain fart today while trying one of my chips in his truck. The truck didn't start with the chip in it, so he decided to try and install it with the truck running.:doh:
Now the PCM is fried and he needs a new one. Anyone have any suggestions about where to get one?

BLK01

Reaction score
i hate to admit it, but i did the same thing. i ended up going to oreileys, they send yours off and have it re manufactured. one from the factory was like $900

DocBar

Reaction score
i hate to admit it, but i did the same thing. i ended up going to oreileys, they send yours off and have it re manufactured. one from the factory was like $900
I'll let my buddy know about that option. Thanks! At least he's laughing about it. I'd be so pissed I couldn't see straight if I did that.

jaybuller

Reaction score
I'm wanting one as well if you have one let me know what you want for it. My truck is a 6 speed 2000 with

co04cobra

Reaction score
PM sent.

If he "fried" it. Ford will only sell you a reman unit at like $900 bucks.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
that is IF it is fried.. I have seen this kind of thing happen and it just needed re flashed.

DocBar. Did the pickup shut off when he tried to hook it up?? When you turn the key to run position does anything turn on? Or does it stay dead? Can he crank the engine as it sits??

DocBar

Reaction score
that is IF it is fried.. I have seen this kind of thing happen and it just needed re flashed.

DocBar. Did the pickup shut off when he tried to hook it up?? When you turn the key to run position does anything turn on? Or does it stay dead? Can he crank the engine as it sits??
He says the truck is dead. He has an SCT programmer and when he tried to read codes, it said unreadable. The truck died when he tried to install the chip with it running. It does nothing now.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
we could not read codes on a pickup that happened to either. the scanner could not hook up to the computer. when you say it does nothing, do you mean that the light on the dash dont even come on?? Or just that it will not start?

The pickup i saw this happen could crank but not start. and the wait to start light would not come on.

DocBar

Reaction score
we could not read codes on a pickup that happened to either. the scanner could not hook up to the computer. when you say it does nothing, do you mean that the light on the dash dont even come on?? Or just that it will not start?

The pickup i saw this happen could crank but not start. and the wait to start light would not come on.
He says everything comes on but it just cranks with no fire.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
OK sounds like it just need to be re flashed. The guy we had do it charged about 60.00 or 80.00 to do it. The only problem is they need the complete vehicle to do it.

DocBar

Reaction score

Wouldn't it be fine to just take the PCM to Ford?

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be fine to just take the PCM to Ford?

We tried that at our local dealer. They said they could not do it. We tried another local shop that can do it and he said he cant do it without the pickup. So we took the pickup to them and it took about 30 min to do..

DocBar

Reaction score
We tried that at our local dealer. They said they could not do it. We tried another local shop that can do it and he said he cant do it without the pickup. So we took the pickup to them and it took about 30 min to do..
That blows. Is there any way to tell if it's fried or needs reflashed before spending the $$ on a tow? I could throw my PCM in there but I don't think it has the same code.

co04cobra

Reaction score
02-03 7.3 auto PCM only.

What power-struck is talking about would be impossible to get done in my area.

Latest posts

Members online