New turbo suggestions

jban126_f350

Reaction score
IMO... you should be looking at gears first if you plan to stay on big tires. Especially if you are worried about turbo lag.

VGT turbos will typically spool faster/sooner than a similar sized non-vgt turbo... but they are not miracle workers. Dont expect to throw on a big vgt turbo and have it spool like stock (especially on stock gears with a big lift and tires). The simple science/idea of a vgt turbo is that you can influence the turbine a/r to act like having multiple a/r turbine housings without having to actually change the turbine housing. Kind of like having the spool up of a .70 housing with the flow of a .90 housing. It helps to broaden the turbine map while taking better advantage of the compressor map.

Also... it is too hard to just say "non-vgt turbos are cheaper"... it all depends on what turbos you are going with. For example to get the complete non-vgt kit and an s362 fmw will cost you more than a brand 64mm stage 2 turbo (especially if you add in labor to install). On the other hand a box s366 with a non-vgt kit will be a lot cheaper than a brand new stage 3 turbo. But if you get an s366 with a billet wheel upgrade, 360 thrust, fully balanced and a non-vgt kit, then it will be about the same price as a reman stage 3 turbo. There are just too many options to set anything in stone. One thing is for sure... once you switch to a non-vgt turbo setup... then it makes buying the next turbo cheaper because you already have the non-vgt kit and the next turbo will be "bolt on".

Well I will be installing the turbo set up which ever set up I go with what gearing would I need to swap to for my 37" tire? Also cutting edge told me for a 64 fmw full kit set up everything for 1995. I believe your stage 3 is 2100 I think I don't remember

swinky

Reaction score
Should I run a Vgt so it will build boost better as a daily? So many option don't know what to do non Vgt price is right vgt=higher Vgt...so I've heard

Honestly man just call Matt and call Charlie and James barder. Tell them what you want and make a decision.

Tuning plays a huge roll in the spool of a non vgt. Mine didn't spool good at first but now with gearhead tunes it spools great.

You can't make a wrong decision here. Both are good ways to go.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Well I will be installing the turbo set up which ever set up I go with what gearing would I need to swap to for my 37" tire? Also cutting edge told me for a 64 fmw full kit set up everything for 1995. I believe your stage 3 is 2100 I think I don't remember

IMO... I would get with Matt with cutting edge and have him help you out. There are just so many options and opinions out there that it is too hard to break them all down... you can get a little lost in the forums/opinions if you are not careful. Everything has an upside and a downside.

To answer your pricing question... we have a stage 3 reman option for 1890 and brand new option for 2190... but our prices are going to be changing soon and I am not sure that is the best fit for your application.

jban126_f350

Reaction score
IMO... I would get with Matt with cutting edge and have him help you out. There are just so many options and opinions out there that it is too hard to break them all down... you can get a little lost in the forums/opinions if you are not careful. Everything has an upside and a downside.

To answer your pricing question... we have a stage 3 reman option for 1890 and brand new option for 2190... but our prices are going to be changing soon and I am not sure that is the best fit for your application.

I think I talked to you before on Facebook or something.
The new one has like different shaft and exhaust side or something I don't remember but the reman has the same exhaust side and fines or something. I forgot now we talked awhile ago now

jban126_f350

Reaction score
My first thought on turbo upgrades was a kc or barder 68mm Vgt and I was set on it then I was talked into s366 or s467 then I was talked into a s364. So many options so much money. What do I need to do to my gearing how much would that be?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I think I talked to you before on Facebook or something.
The new one has like different shaft and exhaust side or something I don't remember but the reman has the same exhaust side and fines or something. I forgot now we talked awhile ago now

reman will re-use your existing vanes and unison ring. Brand new turbo gets new billet vanes and stainless steel unison ring.

swinky

Reaction score
My first thought on turbo upgrades was a kc or barder 68mm Vgt and I was set on it then I was talked into s366 or s467 then I was talked into a s364. So many options so much money. What do I need to do to my gearing how much would that be?
Are you staying on 37s for good?

04 f350

Reaction score
I for one ain't much of a lifted truck guy but I run 305 nitto 420s on mine and love it. Stock front end without any blocks in the rear

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Yeah I'm set on 37's I just got them a month or two ago. Plus wouldn't any smaller look weird?

IMO... if you want to keep the truck drive able then I would go with a smaller turbo and gears.

Non-vgt - probable s362fmw or maybe even 364.5

vgt - 64mm stage 2 turbo

You can go bigger... but the truck will start to run pretty hot and laggy

jban126_f350

Reaction score
I for one ain't much of a lifted truck guy but I run 305 nitto 420s on mine and love it. Stock front end without any blocks in the rear

Oh I love the look of a leveled out stock height truck. Like what you got. I would do that !!!
I like how my truck sits though I think it looks pretty good that's just me ha

Mall crawler!

jban126_f350

Reaction score
IMO... if you want to keep the truck drive able then I would go with a smaller turbo and gears.

Non-vgt - probable s362fmw or maybe even 364.5

vgt - 64mm stage 2 turbo

You can go bigger... but the truck will start to run pretty hot and laggy

Cutting edge told me 64 fmw that's probably what I'll do hopefully I'll make good power with that combo what gears?
Any opinions on that? I do highway driving...i don't know if I could say daily but a good bit but I want it to be like stock I guess

swinky

Reaction score
Cutting edge told me 64 fmw that's probably what I'll do hopefully I'll make good power with that combo what gears?
Any opinions on that? I do highway driving...i don't know if I could say daily but a good bit but I want it to be like stock I guess
4.10 or 4.30

Just depends on if you'll ever go to a smaller tire. I think a 4.30 would be great with 37s and would work well with 35s as well.

Josh collester is running 35s with stock gears and a 366 and loves it. He came from a 475 so take that for what it's worth.

jban126_f350

Reaction score
4.10 or 4.30

Just depends on if you'll ever go to a smaller tire. I think a 4.30 would be great with 37s and would work well with 35s as well.

Josh collester is running 35s with stock gears and a 366 and loves it. He came from a 475 so take that for what it's worth.

I currently have a 3.73 gearing do I need to get new rears? To fit the 4.30? He much do you think it would be to re gear

04cr450

Reaction score
Jban.. go to white marsh muffler and brake on route 40 in white marsh. Talk to john, he is the shiz nit when it comes to differentials and setting up rears etc, and will take care of ya price wise.

slvr bullet

Reaction score
4:30's fit, I called randy ' s ring and pinion, complete axle rebuild kits, install kits, and Yukon gears was right at $1200.00

jban126_f350

Reaction score
Coming down to decision making time I think I'm just gonna go with a vgt turbo. Probably from barder. Now they have a stage 2.5 and a stage 3 obviously stage 3 is a 68mm probably make my truck run hot and laggy to start out. The 2.5 is a little smaller don't remember the exact numbers right now but James told me it would be best if I'm staying on stock gears with 37's and 190's what do you guys think. Should I just say f*%k it and go stage 3 or just do stage 2.5 to be safe. 2.5 specs say from like 155-190 injectors or something like that

04 f350

Reaction score
Coming down to decision making time I think I'm just gonna go with a vgt turbo. Probably from barder. Now they have a stage 2.5 and a stage 3 obviously stage 3 is a 68mm probably make my truck run hot and laggy to start out. The 2.5 is a little smaller don't remember the exact numbers right now but James told me it would be best if I'm staying on stock gears with 37's and 190's what do you guys think. Should I just say f*%k it and go stage 3 or just do stage 2.5 to be safe. 2.5 specs say from like 155-190 injectors or something like that

If James said the 2.5 would suit you better I would have to agree with him. From what I heard the 2.5 is a great turbo, same compressor wheel as the 2 but he puts a different style turbine wheel in the 2.5 that is suppose to help with the top end.

Latest posts

Members online