PIP out

stevens6.7

Reaction score
So right now the EPA is going after the tuning companies it seems? The aftermarket world isn't catching any issues like No Limit, H&S parts, etc?

CATDiezel

Reaction score
H&S, quadzilla, edge, sct, banks, bullydog. All have either come under fire from the epa, eliminated the use of off road because of the epa, or are working with the epa. You would have to live under a rock not to see this was eventually going to happen.

It's unfortunate. And down right wrong. But there are two sides to this.

For starters. Events like TS reeked havoc on kids with diesel and doing stupid things. Tearing up the city. Ect ect.... coal rolling didn't help things. It just started to compile. The tuners themselves were selling "Smokey lope" tunes. The lack of responsibility on the street and in public did not help matters either. I cannot say I wasn't guilty of billowing huge amounts of black smoke when this whole thing started around Y2Kish.... it was rather fun and cool!!! Haha. But it's certainly not anymore.

But truthfully that's not what ended it. Yours truly the manufacturers working with the EPA ended it. They were fully aware of the trucks being deIeted and tuners being installed.

Anyone savy enough with Google and a small amount of intelligence can figure out someone to target. Hs had a big target on their back because they were the most popular.... then from there on.

And then you get the EPA with paid informants now.... they are everywhere. Inside outside and in between. Whistle blowers.

Last edited:

maxxedout

Reaction score
This is such a shame to read about. I never ran P!P tunes, but it's disappointing to hear that another tuner got nailed. I fear that we're getting VERY close to the point where it's not even going to be worth it for companies to offer tunes. There's always going to be someone out there that CAN tune and de-lete trucks, but will they WANT to? I'm sure a tuner has to sell a lot of tunes to recoup their R&D money, but how are they going to sell a lot if everything has to be done in secrecy? SCT was the way to go for a number of years, then the EPA got on them. H&S filled the void in the market, and we all know what went down after a couple years of that. Without H&S, there was a HUGE void in the market for late model Fords, and guys like Spart, P!P, etc. obviously put a lot of time and money into developing their tunes. How long did it last though? Did Spart even make it a full year with their new stuff before getting flagged? The EPA will never be able to make it impossible to tune and de-lete trucks, but they can make it so hard for companies to make money at it, that it will become a business that's not worth being in. I'll leave out my feelings on the EPA and our current government situation, but it really is a shame to see where this industry is headed.

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
I guess you guys aren't reading Mike's comments?!? Busy keep going on and on and he said twice is false?lol sheesh

1800bigk

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe epa burns so many calories on diesel stuff. There are way more people removing cats on cars and nobody is going after car tuners. Look up Cobb ap and ecutek. You can tune your own car with a cheap laptop. No cats no nothing.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe epa burns so many calories on diesel stuff. There are way more people removing cats on cars and nobody is going after car tuners. Look up Cobb ap and ecutek. You can tune your own car with a cheap laptop. No cats no nothing.

NOX emissions are by FAR higher than a gas engine any day.... where a 8000hp natural gas engine might produce 50ppm a diesel will start at around 750ppm. And the hydrocarbons are much higher on diesel as well.

Now tune one and they are so far off the charts it will ruin a $15,000 analyzer in about 60 seconds.

Just sayin.

Kind

Reaction score
NOX emissions are by FAR higher than a gas engine any day.... where a 8000hp natural gas engine might produce 50ppm a diesel will start at around 750ppm. And the hydrocarbons are much higher on diesel as well.

Now tune one and they are so far off the charts it will ruin a $15,000 analyzer in about 60 seconds.

Just sayin.

Numbers like those are based of using our current fuel sources. Other sources of diesel and gas have shown much less pollutants.

No way am I saying other sources of diesel are perfect either. But we can't just say a gas motor vs a diesel motor. There are so many variables from engine architecture to programming to fuel to the environment it's operating in.

Reality is our engines could be producing more power more efficiently if more money wasn't on more people agenda more days then not.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I don't think emissions equipment are bad, they are getting better and realistic emissions regulations are fine. They have driven great technological advancements in hardware and software, so for the most part I'm okay with them.

A handful of hobbyists modifying their pickup trucks are not some huge problem that a government entity needs to police..

Attacking small businesses and creating impossible regulations that end up just being an additional tax on large corporations under the guise of "saving the environment" is bull****.

Last edited:

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Numbers like those are based of using our current fuel sources. Other sources of diesel and gas have shown much less pollutants.

No way am I saying other sources of diesel are perfect either. But we can't just say a gas motor vs a diesel motor. There are so many variables from engine architecture to programming to fuel to the environment it's operating in.

Reality is our engines could be producing more power more efficiently if more money wasn't on more people agenda more days then not.

Agree. Point was gas engine is cleaner than diesel. Opacity plays a big role as well.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score

One thing to point out in this, is it is not illegal to tune your own stuff from what i have heard. Removing emissions equipment, yes. It is illegal to have someone tune your vehicle, email tunes, etc. However, tuning yourself is 100% legal, and buying tuning software is legal, as long as no tunes are provided. It is also illegal to have shift on the fly tunes, technically.

SFWD1934

Reaction score

Actually with COBB they pulled all their ATR software from their site earlier this year due to increased scrutiny. They just recently placed it back on the site, but it is no longer "free" when you purchase one of their "tuners" (Accessport). You now have to pay $150 and take a class.

Please look into the RPM act and do what you can.

Jason

Latest posts

Members online