PIP out

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
It definitely sucks. I had 2 guys get caught last year dragging lanyards on top of a storage tank instead of tying off....they're both gone and we paid a hefty fine for that little stunt. Phucking OSHA guys were standing in a unit watching them.

TyCorr

Reaction score
OSHA makes site visits around here regularly. I deal with them often.

That sucks. They never show up here unless you fire someone lol

It definitely sucks. I had 2 guys get caught last year dragging lanyards on top of a storage tank instead of tying off....they're both gone and we paid a hefty fine for that little stunt. Phucking OSHA guys were standing in a unit watching them.

Myself and 9 other ironworkers built the Fox River arched bridge in 2008 and 09 in plain view of the OSHA office. Not one single violation.

In the beginning phases a laborer was ran over while unloading trucks and no citations were issued. Im not sure how they didnt find fault in that case.

Only time ive had issues is when people are trying to be cowboys. There used to be an excuse that all that safety shti slowed the guys that like to run and gun down but im starting to notice a lot of those guys dont like that there are faster guys out there so they use any excuse they come across.

Believe me, there are times I hate tying off but its a hell of a lot better than falling and getting hurt. Which ive also done.

ImAti0n

Reaction score
Only time I've dealt with osha is when asbestos was found in our living quarters at the station and nothing was getting done by the city.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

PDT1081

Reaction score
Look up the RPM Act. If that doesn't pass then the EPA's position that it is illegal to convert a vehicle with a VIN for race use only stands.
Currently, any vehicle that's been licensed (plated) for on road use, cannot legally run off-road fuel. Doesn't matter if it's been off the road for 20 years. Once plated, it's considered on-road forever. See the similarities?
Emissions vs road tax are two different things.

Man this all sucks. I blame TS.Performance
I know there is a difference. Perhaps, instead of "off-road use," the argument should be for "competition use." It wouldn't be a stretch for the EPA to drag the off-road use argument into court, and completely obliterate it because of the off-road equipment held to their standards.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Off-road use pertains to nothing more than taxes. It's the same fuel it just wasn't taxed for the highway folks to get their share. Totally different ballgame than off-road emissions stuff.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
OSHA is a necessary evil.

I cannot even begin to type the amount of stupidity I've seen from State construction workers and on and on...

My favorite one, and it's on YouTube, is when the OSHA inspector walks up to a crew in about a 10 foot deep box hole in the middle of the road to expose pipe. OSHA inspector asks why a man is in the hole with no shoring box. Same moment the hole starts to cave in with a worker in the hole... all on video.

Now OSHA certainly can go overboard... but so can businesses with cheap labor and retarded supervisors with stupidity and huge lawsuits from wrongful deaths.

TyCorr

Reaction score

I cannot even begin to type the amount of stupidity I've seen from State construction workers and on and on...

My favorite one, and it's on YouTube, is when the OSHA inspector walks up to a crew in about a 10 foot deep box hole in the middle of the road to expose pipe. OSHA inspector asks why a man is in the hole with no shoring box. Same moment the hole starts to cave in with a worker in the hole... all on video.

Now OSHA certainly can go overboard... but so can businesses with cheap labor and retarded supervisors with stupidity and huge lawsuits from wrongful deaths.

I definitely agree. Ive worked for "big" companies that after you get injured you find out they dont have work comp and a bunch of other shiz. Then the owners lifestyle starts to make sense. Sadly, its way more common tgan not.

Anyone taking offense, please dont volley that tired old notion "if its so easy, start a company, take the risk" because I have owned and ran my own business. And its not as scary as y'all try to make it out to be to try to scare any potential new guys from starting off.

psduser1

Reaction score

This. In my business, osha can be the blue collar guys friend.
I definitely agree. Ive worked for "big" companies that after you get injured you find out they dont have work comp and a bunch of other shiz. Then the owners lifestyle starts to make sense. Sadly, its way more common tgan not.

Anyone taking offense, please dont volley that tired old notion "if its so easy, start a company, take the risk" because I have owned and ran my own business. And its not as scary as y'all try to make it out to be to try to scare any potential new guys from starting off.

It's not just the "big" companies. Size being relative.
Actual big companies don't really worry about osha but midsized and down really mind their p and q 's.

TyCorr

Reaction score
This. In my business, osha can be the blue collar guys friend.

It's not just the "big" companies. Size being relative.
Actual big companies don't really worry about osha but midsized and down really mind their p and q 's.

The big being in quotes alludes to what one usually denotes as "quote-unquote" in speaking. To not have this or not have that you cant be that big. Alot of companies, or the tiny dikks running them anyway, are hung up on how big they are.

Most big companies ive come ito contact with are more safety oriented with more on the line to lose. They often give you safety glasses, harnesses, and anything else. Some of the smaller guys let you use theirs.

Just my experience.

Latest posts

Members online