Project Wheels Up

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
I did call pretty much every local shop though finding the ones that can do it and how much they'd charge for it. Right now I have figured up $1,350 for all the machine work, $1,250 for a ford OEM rebuild kit, and $500 for a new fire ring kit. So basically $3,100 to build a new engine. Not too bad I don't think. Machine work includes cylinder bore and hone, cutting fire rings, balancing the rotating assembly, porting the heads, line honing the mains, cutting the piston bowl lips, and ceramic coating the pistons. Then I'll just use my studs, billet rods, girdle, valve springs, and other bolt one. I'm debating on getting a cam though. I don't know what is in it so I may just get a new one. Depends on what I do. Either I'll go with swamps flow matched heads and cam and let them build it, let David Lott build it, or I'll go cheap and get a cam from matt and fill the block, weld the cam gear, and assemble the motor myself.

Last edited:

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Trying to remember... I think you'll pay more than that with the machine shop Swamps uses.

Money well spent though.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I did call pretty much every local shop though finding the ones that can do it and how much they'd charge for it. Right now I have figured up $1,350 for all the machine work, $1,250 for a ford OEM rebuild kit, and $500 for a new fire ring kit. So basically $3,100 to build a new engine. Not too bad I don't think. Machine work includes cylinder bore and hone, cutting fire rings, balancing the rotating assembly, porting the heads, line honing the mains, cutting the piston bowl lips, and ceramic coating the pistons. Then I'll just use my studs, billet rods, girdle, valve springs, and other bolt one. I'm debating on getting a cam though. I don't know what is in it so I may just get a new one. Depends on what I do. Either I'll go with swamps flow matched heads and cam and let them build it, let David Lott build it, or I'll go cheap and get a cam from matt and fill the block, weld the cam gear, and assemble the motor myself.

Holy hell.. thats a good price.. but are you just doing the lip or fly cutting and lip work on the pistons?

live life full throttle

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
It would be delipping the bowl and cutting .035 reliefs for a Gearhead Stage 2 pulling cam. I want the pulling cam because the 482 really snuffs on the shift and the pulling cam is supposed to help with that.

I also really want to find me a set of obs headers. The Superduty ones I have don't fit. It hits the steering linkage. I guess I can always put a second knuckle in the steering though. I don't know. We'll see what I can find.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It would be delipping the bowl and cutting .035 reliefs for a Gearhead Stage 2 pulling cam. I want the pulling cam because the 482 really snuffs on the shift and the pulling cam is supposed to help with that.

I also really want to find me a set of obs headers. The Superduty ones I have don't fit. It hits the steering linkage. I guess I can always put a second knuckle in the steering though. I don't know. We'll see what I can find.

Get that engine dialed in and ill bring you another to do it to. Or trade.. lol

live life full throttle

Strokersace

Reaction score
She will be back on the track this weekend. No comment on why or how. I'll update with how it does. ;)

Though you might have went over to the house and hogged out my motor, bit remembered the truck is sitting at the airport waiting for me to fly home! Hope you get it back together soon!

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
IMG_20140514_121151_171.jpg

IMG_20140514_121537_992.jpg

IMG_20140514_121621_502.jpg