Project Wheels Up

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
So then No Limits was more original? :poke:
Tell ya what. You buy me a new motor for the truck and I'll let you rename my shop whatever you want. LOL

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah ok. Anyway how old was that motor ? Musta made a lot of power to self destruct like that.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
It was quite a bit older than you think. It was originally built by Carson Stauffer for a pulling truck. It was then pulled and rebuilt by Long engines in Chicago. I bought it from a guy on here and have been running it in my white crew cab for a couple years. This was my 4th pass in the new truck. No I wasn't putting down very big numbers on that pass. There was no spray and it wasn't a super hard launch. I just kinda rolled into it. S482 and 400/400's I would guess I might have been putting down around 700 or so. The truck is only around 4700-4800 lbs. It weighed 4680 with me in it before I finished the roll cage. That's why it ran as fast as it did.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
The silver lining in this is at least now I'll know exactly what has been done to the engine and I'll be able to trust it. I only paid $7,000 for the engine. Nobody knew what cam was in it, if the pistons were cut, if it really had the piston work done at all, or even if it really had fire rings. I just took it home, cleaned it up, and tossed it in.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
So , after reviewing that vid , it actually appears to be right at 10 flat , maybe a bit less maybe a bit more. That's crazy man.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
I'd probably go a hair more. High 10 to an 11 flat is what everyone who was there was thinking. Still not bad though for an old 7.3 on its 4th run ever soft launched and using mostly stock parts from 4 different years of truck. It really sucks the timing system was put up. I didn't care though. All I wanted to do was chassis setup to be ready for Denver on the 30th. Unfortunately it cut my season short. It's cool. I'll rebuild it better than before.

Last edited:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
i dont know how you can say everything worked perfectly when the truck bounced that bad on the launch.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
The question was did it run straight. Yes it did. It didn't pull hard at launch or when I hit the brakes. Yes it was very bouncy on the launch. I had my coil overs way too tight. I need to run em down a bit and soften the suspension to absorb the squat. I wasn't expecting it to try and squat that hard so it just bounced the tires. That's an easy fix though.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Keep in mind this is my first ever experience with a 2wd on slicks. I've never been in or around one before. I've only ever raced 4x4's. It's quite a learning curve. What I felt to be a success may not be the same for you guys who have been around it forever. Joe has been helping me a whole lot during this whole thing, but there's only so much phone calls and texts can do.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Well I emailed Dave at Swamps today. I figure if I'm going to build a motor, might as well get the best to do my machining. I'm gonna holler at David Lott as well and see what his price would be on an engine. I just don't have faith in machine shops around here. They have no experience with 7.3's.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well I emailed Dave at Swamps today. I figure if I'm going to build a motor, might as well get the best to do my machining. I'm gonna holler at David Lott as well and see what his price would be on an engine. I just don't have faith in machine shops around here. They have no experience with 7.3's.

Smart move on all accounts.. wish I had someone super close.. id start building my next motor...

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online