Stock turbo vs Batmowheel vs Billet 71mm

Boostfed

Reaction score
12.82@10X today on the test mule using the 71. Its a 350 SRW, EC, LB lariat, probably a solid 8000 i would guess. Trans was not a happy camper at 100K+ miles all stock.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Don't forget guys. The batmowheel maybe cheaper. But with the Tow power you also get a completely new turbo with new seals, clean housing, new bearings, no rust, ect. If I bought the batmowheel, I would have been looking for another turbo to put it in. My truck only has 36k on it. Truck does not have a spot of rust on it. Yet the turbos had a lot of rust on/in them. And my truck sits in a dry garage anytime its not in use.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
12.82@10X today on the test mule using the 71. Its a 350 SRW, EC, LB lariat, probably a solid 8000 i would guess. Trans was not a happy camper at 100K+ miles all stock.

its definitely not making power if the trans was happy. i guess i depends on 60ft and trap speed.

Matt

Reaction score
Beings the precision 71mm is 6mms bigger and only made 20hp more than the batmowheel, I really would like to see what a 71mm batmo could do. Me personally, I think I would buy a batmo for 400 and put the extra towards some fuel modifications.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Beings the precision 71mm is 6mms bigger and only made 20hp more than the batmowheel, I really would like to see what a 71mm batmo could do. Me personally, I think I would buy a batmo for 400 and put the extra towards some fuel modifications.

Why? The fact that 71mm made the same as Tow Power X's and High Powers on the same dyno with the same tuning is the best thing about this whole test. Look at the 71mm curve. The potential is much greater with that turbo with added fuel. I believe the batmowheel option is great for a tuner only truck. Add fuel and I bet you have a smokey b!tch. If you're looking at the potential side of things, you can't say that the batmowheel is the better option.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Why? The fact that 71mm made the same as Tow Power X's and High Powers on the same dyno with the same tuning is the best thing about this whole test. Look at the 71mm curve. The potential is much greater with that turbo with added fuel. I believe the batmowheel option is great for a tuner only truck. Add fuel and I bet you have a smokey b!tch. If you're looking at the potential side of things, you can't say that the batmowheel is the better option.

best post from you in a while jeff. the graph tells the tale. crazy , the difference in curves.

Nos_GTSR

Reaction score
I wonder if a 71 batmo would hold the power as long or if it would fall off like the stock size one did. Now Id like to see a k31 wheel vs the billet wheel in the 71, I think thats been a very heated debate for at least a year now. Of course any of these setups would improve with more fuel but after driving a very smokey truck for the last few months Id love to go back to a very minimum smokey truck.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I think Settlemire's truck made 670-680 on Rudy's dyno with the same tune. The Tow Power X setup did 680 on that dyno with H&S's 300 tune and almost identical numbers to the Tow Power atmosphere with Eric's X-race.

I bet the Tow Power atmosphere would love some 60 horse nozzles.

Yeah, I hit 680 on H&S, but it was a hot running mo fo. But on Xrace, it ran a 667 a few times, and the curve was perfect. The stock fuel was a limiting factor, as rail pressure is getting bumped down noticeably. I also defueled a few times, on H&S HOT DAMN, and on Xrace. Never defueled on Xstreet. I think just a fuel pump and lift pump upgrade would have been a good idea... damn hindsight! lol! We will see what setup we go with this time around!

And the 450 will likely see a LP turbo upgrade, and no much more than that. Lower EGTs, and pulling power!!!!

Matt

Reaction score

I don't really think a little added fuel to either set up will make it a smokey bitch. All I'm saying is, dollar for dollar, its hard in my opinion for average joe blow to spend 1300 vs 400 for only a 20 hp difference. Just trying to show people what they could do on the cheap. Personally if I were going to do it, I'm still not sure which I would go with.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Why is "cheap" synonymous with turbochargers these days?? Completely stumped.

I can tell you that if I was gonna do turbo work, it would be dropping a bigger unit that could support a multide of setups in place. Why go though the hassle of stripping everything to put a wheel on that stops you dead in your tracks after a 40hp gain? I guess I think differently maybe, I dunno.

Matt

Reaction score
Excellent point as to why cheaper isn't always better, the tow power 71mm is no doubt a better building block, but I think similar results up to a certain point, can be had with the batmo. I am not siding with either set up, I am just trying to give some pros/cons to each.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I don't really think a little added fuel to either set up will make it a smokey bitch. All I'm saying is, dollar for dollar, its hard in my opinion for average joe blow to spend 1300 vs 400 for only a 20 hp difference. Just trying to show people what they could do on the cheap. Personally if I were going to do it, I'm still not sure which I would go with.

I think you missed the point jeff was making about the curve. What makes a truck fast is a truck with a flat curve. So any mods you can do to keep the power under the curve higher. The better it will run. To me I see a worthwhile gain in the tow power over the bat for a small additional cost. ( I wouldn't want to pull the turbos more than once)

Since both wheels are billet I doubt you would see any difference between the bat71 and the towpower71. I think the housing at some.point will be the restriction since itndoesnt have a mwe grove in it.

Jon I think that there is a reason that tadd had a billet wheel made for the 71. I do however thing that the k31 wheel will make more power at higher rpm then the batmowheel did.

Which also brings an interesting point about putting a wheel from a wideopen performance turbo in a k31 atmosphere.

This test basically confirms what im going to do when my truck goes to a more conservative set up. Top rpm power is what made me want to go to a single to begin with.

Matt

Reaction score
I understand the point Jeff is trying to make. The point I am trying to make for potential buyers is for 2gs in parts you could do a batmowheel, an airdog, and a set of small nozzles and have more power for less money. But if you start with a 71mm and save a few more pennies for some fuel, you will probably be quite a bit better off with the 71mm. Like Jeff said, tuner only the batmowheel is probably the way to go, but if you want to start adding fuel to the mix, spend a bit more and get the 71mm. I still think by upping the 65mm batmowheel to a 71mm you will see a power increase, 6mms is quite a bit of difference when dealing with turbos. However if bullseye did ever come out with a 71mm batmo, I am sure the price would be pretty similar to the 71mm elite offers, and who knows if it would make any more power, the housing may be about maxxed out with elites set up.

Matt

Reaction score
Yeah, my trans went south with just a tuner, so far I've been fortunate enough not to blow my head gaskets, but they do go on just tuned trucks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.