Stock turbo vs Batmowheel vs Billet 71mm

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Oh ok...still trying to figure it all out. Im coming from a duramax background so I know what they need but still learning about these powerstrokes

Both are living on the edge with race tunes. Even worse with a heavy foot. I got away with it for a long time.

I think as far as this turbo debate goes there isn't much more to say. The results are there as well as the cost of the modifications. I think now its up to the end user to decide what their goals and budget are and decide which turbo option is for them. I will be adding this info ti the turbo thread that's a sticky in the next couple days

semperfidooordie

Reaction score
Thanks! I didn't realize these motors pushed heads like that. I'll definitely be looking into studs here eventually. I don't run the truck super hard...part of the reason I bought a dually (less ambition to race it). I agree that your right foot is what decides the trans fate so I think that can wait. I told the Mrs. after selling the Dmax that I was done with built tranny's and go fast stuff lol...I need to find a regular cab

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I think a lot of people are forgetting about labor in there price. Prices I got were between 700-900 to remove and install the new turbo. Call it 800. That means 1200 for batmowheel and 2100 for the 71 tow power. Unless obviously you can do it yourself. With the 71, you get a whole turbo with more potential. Just like what was said before. It comes down to a personal choice. If your truck is coming apart anyways. You just want a little extra power. Sure, batmowheel is cheap. Put it in. But if you are paying to have the truck pulled apart for just the turbo. I would rather the most power for a reasonable price.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I think a lot of people are forgetting about labor in there price. Prices I got were between 700-900 to remove and install the new turbo. Call it 800. That means 1200 for batmowheel and 2100 for the 71 tow power. Unless obviously you can do it yourself. With the 71, you get a whole turbo with more potential. Just like what was said before. It comes down to a personal choice. If your truck is coming apart anyways. You just want a little extra power. Sure, batmowheel is cheap. Put it in. But if you are paying to have the truck pulled apart for just the turbo. I would rather the most power for a reasonable price.

What about labor on the batmo install?

It's gonna be personal choice on the end user for sure. If it were me, I wouldn't limit myself.

Jhaddox

Reaction score
What about labor on the batmo install?

It's gonna be personal choice on the end user for sure. If it were me, I wouldn't limit myself.

Thatd be included in the 1200 I assume since either way their either separating a housing or separating and installing new turbos in the case of the 71

Either way ~900 diff.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
That $900 difference includes a new turbo with a lot more potential down the road.

Exactly.

$400 plus labor to install seems like a lost cause. With enough patience and help you could easily swap the atmosphere out yourself and keep costs down if money is your concern. Again, I just don't see the hype behind the drop in wheel other then a name tag associated with the part. Let's be honest, if this wheel was a standard product off the shelf from Cobb's Diesel or some other no name shop, the tables would be turned and people would look at the end dollar vs. gains a little closer then maybe now.

40hp is a great gain BUT the room to grow and support a multitidue of setups is for the most part, none existent

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I never priced out putting in the batmowheel as that was not in my plan. I am assuming its very close to the same as the quotes I got for the turbo swap.

All I was trying to say is I feel people are getting stuck on price per horsepower vs price for what you get. My head studs, push rods, intercooler, intercooler boots, ect didn't give me anymore power. As a whole, They make the truck much better.

Beans71086

Reaction score
Exactly.

$400 plus labor to install seems like a lost cause. With enough patience and help you could easily swap the atmosphere out yourself and keep costs down if money is your concern. Again, I just don't see the hype behind the drop in wheel other then a name tag associated with the part. Let's be honest, if this wheel was a standard product off the shelf from Cobb's Diesel or some other no name shop, the tables would be turned and people would look at the end dollar vs. gains a little closer then maybe now.

40hp is a great gain BUT the room to grow and support a multitidue of setups is for the most part, none existent

Really? IMHO I really don't care if it's a batmo, elite, Cobbs, or even banks. If its going to give me 40-50 extra HP with just the swap of a wheel, when Im already going to have the cab up for studs or egr delete..... Its worth $400. Plus, if it was any reputable brand in the diesel market and it was making these kinds of gains for the money it would have been treated the same.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Really? IMHO I really don't care if it's a batmo, elite, Cobbs, or even banks. If its going to give me 40-50 extra HP with just the swap of a wheel, when Im already going to have the cab up for studs or egr delete..... Its worth $400. Plus, if it was any reputable brand in the diesel market and it was making these kinds of gains for the money it would have been treated the same.

You said Cobbs. Sorry Had to laugh.

jdgleason

Reaction score
I would like to see a compressor map of a batmo stocker and the 71mm ............................................................

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I never priced out putting in the batmowheel as that was not in my plan. I am assuming its very close to the same as the quotes I got for the turbo swap.

All I was trying to say is I feel people are getting stuck on price per horsepower vs price for what you get. My head studs, push rods, intercooler, intercooler boots, ect didn't give me anymore power. As a whole, They make the truck much better.

That's a good way to put it

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
That $900 difference includes a new turbo with a lot more potential down the road.

i think differently considering we just had a 6.0 that ran track times good for 600hp with a batmowheel in a 03 turbo
Truck had 285cc injectors with a custom tune stock trans and was on 35" mud grapplers
2007 cclb 8300 pounds ran a [email protected] 1.7 60ft

I would like to see someone put fuel to both and see how they both would respond

MINK

Reaction score
i think differently considering we just had a 6.0 that ran track times good for 600hp with a batmowheel in a 03 turbo
Truck had 285cc injectors with a custom tune stock trans and was on 35" mud grapplers

I would like to see someone put fuel to both and see how they both would respond

Mine traps 103 with similar weight, that 6.0 is much closer to 500-still impressive but not 600hp.

Dustball8504

Reaction score
I would consider putting fuel to mine with the Batmo, as it sits it cleans up the xrace pretty well so it would do well with a little bump in fuel I believe.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
Mine traps 103 with similar weight, that 6.0 is much closer to 500-still impressive but not 600hp.

i was going by the time and not mph but you get my point very impressive for stock turbo and just a batmowheel

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score

Even if those numbers were relevant to the 6.4, the 71mm still gives you the keys to open doors up down the road that the batmo will not.

I guess I've done the same thing in my past turbo selections. Started small and bought bigger, and bigger as I progressed. So I get it, but hindsight is always 20/20 and I would not do it any other way now then buying something I can grow into down the road that won't sacrifice anything necessary for DD. And since people seem so driven by price with this stuff, it only makes sense to spend money once instead of over and over and iver

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.