Tow rig setup

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I'm running a t500 and 175/80's and unless the tuning is calling for 2700-2800 icp at wot then the pump can't keep up. I just got an oil leak fixed and will try to post some numbers next time I drive it

TyCorr

Reaction score
I'm running a t500 and 175/80's and unless the tuning is calling for 2700-2800 icp at wot then the pump can't keep up. I just got an oil leak fixed and will try to post some numbers next time I drive it

I put a 17deg Bosch (new) in mine in 2012, iirc, and i had the EXACT SAME FINDINGS. I even tried three dufferent sets of tunes. I told Bill about it and he said he could limit pw and icp a bit but then told me if i just went back a notch on my tunes, it'd do the same thing.

Somewhere, someone told me that a codes use less oil. I never set icp codes on my stock truck even with long, drawn-out pw tuning. A codes single shot with custom tunes, all day long. Especially with a race, hot, all-out, etc tune. But then again, I also found that those injectors werent suited to much over 400hp which flies in the face of the internet knowledge. I bought tunes. They were good. The "stock" tune was awesome and it is how the superduty ahould have been off the lots. The next two tunes were better in terms of fun. But after that it was obvious you are hanfing the injectors open to trrrrry to make power. The only time my truck has been dynoed was to figure out tuning on 175 a codes. They had 80% nozzles. I found 410hp to be where they were clean everywhere. No indications the truck is modded other than absolute power numbers. After that (i know every truck is different) it smoked or was hot in certain spots.

I was told i needed more oil. So I upgraded to a srp. It helped oil ramp quicker and obviously no more icp codes. Then i was told my trans was the culprit for low power numbers. That was after my compression #s were blamed. My compression was 400 all day. I put a twisted stg2 in and after all that my truck was making 425hp. So hardly worth the 7k to upgrade turbo, oil, and trans for those injectors.

Im sorry to ramble, but people need to know that they can do much better with other pieces. A 200cc hybrid and just pick a nozzle from 30-200% is a better deal. Very small oil needs and it'll do from 400-5xx depending on your nozzle choice and needs. Hell a 250/200 in a "stock" tune is somewhere around 350-400 if i had to guess. And clean clean clean.

Nycowboy picked the right injector in my opinion. For what its worth.

Swaan

Reaction score
Like I said before.
Sometimes I wish I went with 238/80 hybrids

Thses 175/80 are oil hungry but do run perty good otherwise.......
Mmmmmmmmmm.

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
I have 160/30s and a t500 with Tony Wildman tunes and I have set the check engine light twice while pulling hard. I have not logged any numbers but it seems the hotter the engine gets the harder it is for the pump to keep up.

I'm happy I found this thread. I was thinking about getting an adrenaline and selling the t500 but it sounds like I may have the same issues.

Cold motor I can make 3,800 psi all day long.

Once at operating temps 2,800 psi puts me in the 75% duty cycle range at 3.0 MS.

But your 160/30's should not have any issues with a t500. Check your tuning, What is your ICP, Duty cycle and Pule Width. These 3 things can help us determine if you need tuning adjustment. or need to look into other issues.

Plzstrokeme

Reaction score
Cold motor I can make 3,800 psi all day long.

Once at operating temps 2,800 psi puts me in the 75% duty cycle range at 3.0 MS.

But your 160/30's should not have any issues with a t500. Check your tuning, What is your ICP, Duty cycle and Pule Width. These 3 things can help us determine if you need tuning adjustment. or need to look into other issues.

It may be a while but I will get the info. It has only happened twice and I drive it hard towing but both times I was demanding alot. I may be difficult to find the right circumstances to get it to happen again.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
That's what frustrates me. I wanted a good tow injector and was told to stay away from hybrids by a certain someone and now it sounds like i made a mistake p

TyCorr

Reaction score
That's what frustrates me. I wanted a good tow injector and was told to stay away from hybrids by a certain someone and now it sounds like i made a mistake p

Dont feel bad. I did it too and even bought a bunch of support mods after the fact and it still was about as exhilirating as a stock lml.

Now I've done it twice more. ..hopefully the last time.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Soooo could someone please tell me why I was told an a code is better for towing then a hybrid?

mikeeg02

Reaction score
If you have supporting oil, or have them detuned enough they should have better injection pressure. I ALMOST went that way from what I was lead to believe also, then when I requested ICP values and DC from some members I noticed running a similar setup to what I wanted to run, nobody data logged, but said they had no issues , worked great, etc. I'm glad I went with my hybrids.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
So what would the performance difference be then between to an a code vs. hybrids of close to the same size cc?

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Jacob, I run 200/30% with a 38R in my '96. Overall I really like the set-up, but they could be a lot better with better tuning.

I say make it a priority to get the truck live tuned if you will mostly be towing. I can't really tow much without lots of smoke and high egt's, but I have other trucks I can tow with so I never pursued a tuning change.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Jacob, I run 200/30% with a 38R in my '96. Overall I really like the set-up, but they could be a lot better with better tuning.

I say make it a priority to get the truck live tuned if you will mostly be towing. I can't really tow much without lots of smoke and high egt's, but I have other trucks I can tow with so I never pursued a tuning change.

Really? An obs or a sd? A lot of people can drive that setup pretty ok without tuning if they have to wait for tunes.

Who's tuning if you are at liberty to say?

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I understand that for sure. If running a 17 degree pump or say a t500 what would be the best towing injector in a stage 2 a code or small hybrid?

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Ultimately in my opinion, that answer needs to come from your injector builder or similar. In my opinion (and I don't have a flow bench to test so these are my observations and understandings, and most of it is in injector theory)

Hybrids
Less HPO per cc fuel
If you can maintain 3,000 psi HPO (at a 5:1 hydraulic ratio) you achieve ~15,000 psi injection pressure. (There are several other factors that go into that, but let's baseline)

A codes
Requires additional HPO per cc fuel
If you can maintain 3,000 psi HPO (at a 7:1 hydraulic ratio) you achieve ~21,000 psi injection pressure. (There are several other factors that go into that, but again let's baseline)
That being said, you should only need about 2150 psi HPO to achieve ~15,000 psi injection pressure (There are several other factors that go into that, but let's baseline)

When I was interested in a similar injector (175/80s), I thought I was planning ahead and doing the T500 and I would be able to support 175/80s, but like I said before, people with similar setups didnt seem to be able to provide hard data showing me a T500 (or adrenaline for that matter) would fully support (and to me that means 2800 psi or better HPO with an A code)

In my opinion, if you dont have enough oil to run 175/80 A codes, you should be able to get a 200/80, 238/80, 250/80 hybrid (lets retain the nozzle size) and detune them to a approximately 175cc, and definitely be able to maintain 3,000 psi + HPO. At which point making the hybrid overall cleaner and more efficient at the same power level. And I cannot understand for the life of me anyone would suggest a 200/80 over a 238/80 or 250/80. Because they are basically the same price, and a 238 or 250 can be tuned to only use ~200 CC or fuel, or even less. One gives you a future if you get the HP bug later, and one gives you a max of ~200cc's of fuel. Maybe thats enough, and maybe that isnt. But I certainly wouldnt suggest such a small hybrid, dollar for dollar. But again, thats MY opinion, and I am certain there is alot about injectors I do NOT know or understand.

There also used to be a lot of talk on injector oil refill time, and maybe we are passed that now. But the A codes require more oil per cc of fuel, so every shot they require a certain amount of time to refill the oil side. If you cannot refill it to its capacity, your 7:1 hydraulic action of that next shot goes to sh!t. This problem would get increasingly noticeable in higher RPMs (less time to refill) and generally this is when HPO is the most demanding on the HPOP (less volume available because all the other injectors want oil too.)

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Theres obviously more to it than that, but hopefully this gets discussion started.

And also, if you have the oil system and injectors are capable of refilling fast enough a similar sized A code should be a better injector than a hybrid as far as HP and efficiency. I do remember Tim from PIS telling me that a 175/80 a code and 200/80 hybrid dyno extremely close to one another. I can only assume that A code driven truck had supporting HPO.

mandkole

Reaction score
Im very satisfied with my stock 17, 250s and bills tunes. Have never had an issue with excess smoke, or ICP. For towing, the turbo is another story...old news

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
This is all news to me, I have been on the 160/30 train for a couple years (saving) but now maybe 238/80s...

What about fuel comparisons or is that even a question? Like will an Frx handle both A codes and 200 hybrids? Or a quad feed line, or is it going to take a regulated return?

Latest posts

Members online