Tow rig setup

ja_cain

Reaction score
Yup got them in last night, drove it to work empty today and so far so good. I have to play around with the wastegate though boost is a little low and in the hotter tunes it smokes pretty good. Lower tunes seem ok as far as smoke and temps go. It definitely woke the truck up, seems like the charger lights and ah shi t time to shift lol. Definitely not as fun as a truck with a built auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get some pw and icp numbers when you're getting on her. Interested to see where they're at. This is a tow related thread so I hope you deliver the goods when you have the opportunity. :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Get some pw and icp numbers when you're getting on her. Interested to see where they're at. This is a tow related thread so I hope you deliver the goods when you have the opportunity. :)

Next show we're going to will be next weekend and there are a few good hills to pull, so I should be able to get some good numbers. Has yet to set a cel running high rpm wfo or lugging 2-2500rpm so I'm thinking my adrenaline is going to be just fine.

Reaction score
Sounds promising, smoke is a little tougher to get rid of on a manual truck. This might be a good route for our 02, can't wait to see the numbers while towing either.

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

ja_cain

Reaction score
Next show we're going to will be next weekend and there are a few good hills to pull, so I should be able to get some good numbers. Has yet to set a cel running high rpm wfo or lugging 2-2500rpm so I'm thinking my adrenaline is going to be just fine.

In theory with that size nozzle and an adrenaline there is no possible way you can run out of oil. Assuming your lpop is ok and you don't have any leaks on the high pressure side.

psduser1

Reaction score

"Lugging" at 2500 rpm?
Sounds like you could use a bit more fuel down low?
Or am I misinterpeting?

ja_cain

Reaction score
"Lugging" at 2500 rpm?
Sounds like you could use a bit more fuel down low?
Or am I misinterpeting?
Yeah, I totally missed that one. My definition of lugging is between 12 to 15 hundo. Lol! Now Charles supposedly lugs his around that rpm (12 to 15) and might even be driving his 38r into the surge area. Lol! I wish I had the money to systematically test different nozzle sizes while keeping the average hp the same. I suspect the larger nozzles would be able to keep the turbo lit at lower power levels relative to the smaller nozzle'd configurations as long as you are keeping it in the efficient area of its map. I think this added airflow could be part of what is lowering egt's.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I suspect the larger nozzles would be able to keep the turbo lit at lower power levels relative to the smaller nozzle'd configurations as long as you are keeping it in the efficient area of its map. I think this added airflow could be part of what is lowering egt's.

Oh hell yes! Thats the whole point. Jam that fuel in there, atomized, in a quick event, turn it into expanding gases and spin the shti out of your exhaust turbing. No long, hot pw vakues needed.

I never understood a 238 or 250-100. Goofy idea all together.

Im taking my 38r apart tomorrow and putting the stock cast wheel back in. This 11 boade wheel is the whole culprit in my 50mph egt issue. Its literally moving no air at sub 5 lbs. Cast wheel and if everything is great I may get a 6x6 billet wheel.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Yeah, I totally missed that one. My definition of lugging is between 12 to 15 hundo. Lol! Now Charles supposedly lugs his around that rpm (12 to 15) and might even be driving his 38r into the surge area. Lol! I wish I had the money to systematically test different nozzle sizes while keeping the average hp the same. I suspect the larger nozzles would be able to keep the turbo lit at lower power levels relative to the smaller nozzle'd configurations as long as you are keeping it in the efficient area of its map. I think this added airflow could be part of what is lowering egt's.

Yea bad wording on my part too, before with stock injectors and whatever tuning came in the truck I couldn't let it fall below 1600rpm or it would surge the heck out of this 38r.

TMCCOY

Reaction score
Oh hell yes! Thats the whole point. Jam that fuel in there, atomized, in a quick event, turn it into expanding gases and spin the shti out of your exhaust turbing. No long, hot pw vakues needed.

I never understood a 238 or 250-100. Goofy idea all together.

Im taking my 38r apart tomorrow and putting the stock cast wheel back in. This 11 boade wheel is the whole culprit in my 50mph egt issue. Its literally moving no air at sub 5 lbs. Cast wheel and if everything is great I may get a 6x6 billet wheel.

Post up on the results of swapping wheels if you don't mind in this thread:

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73270

While I've written off the idea of swapping out the cast wheel for now, it sounds like you will have a good comparison coming with the cast v. 11 blad and maybe the 6x6.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Post up on the results of swapping wheels if you don't mind in this thread:

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73270

While I've written off the idea of swapping out the cast wheel for now, it sounds like you will have a good comparison coming with the cast v. 11 blad and maybe the 6x6.

I can already advise you on that. I paid real close attention to what happened around the time my wheel was swapped out. To this day if I accelerate like my driving style entails it'll shift into od at a low speed and its slower than the speed Id travel on a highway. The egts will hit 1k with stock injectors and with 250/200s itll get up over 800. This unacceptable for the level of acceleration im referring to. Im talking 0-45 in ten seconds and it shifts into od at 50 and boooooooog. Towing it was bad enough i had to have Bill@php stretch my od shift out to 62 mph to keep the air moving.

If I get up to 40 now and blip the throttle open for three seconds the truck will come right up to 70 and then if I cruise the egts are stone cold at around 600-650 degrees.

TMCCOY

Reaction score
Just did a quick datalog to show some numbers. Not WOT, but what I could fit in with the traffic on the way home. Royal blue is ICP pressure and grey dotted is MPH.

20160806_zpskpd62iph.jpg

TyCorr

Reaction score
Is that graph nosediving from you letting off the throttle or is it falling on its face?

TMCCOY

Reaction score
Throttle. The dark green shows me lifting. As mentioned, it is not a good run to datalog, I need more space to get a nice WOT pull but will do so and post that chart and in there we can see the PW and ICP correlation with TPS being 100% and mph of the run. I can chart torque pro logs and AE logs easily if sent a .csv file.

TMCCOY

Reaction score
Heres another graph showing a more productive run. It was a good roll into third and shifting into 4th hitting nearly 90mph. The ICP is holding ~2900psi while commanding 3.8 pulse width. Boost is 37psi. I thought I was floored but the PID shows 90% throttle...hmmph.

201608%2088mph_zpsavqwzbok.jpg

Last edited:

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Quick question regarding this 38r, where should I set the gate at? Don't really want to overspeed it and trash it. Right now it's set at 25psi.

Reaction score
Heres another graph showing a more productive run. It was a good roll into third and shifting into 4th hitting nearly 90mph. The ICP is holding ~2900psi while commanding 3.8 pulse width. Boost is 37psi. I thought I was floored but the PID shows 90% throttle...hmmph.

201608%2088mph_zpsavqwzbok.jpg
If it's like the obs, you can adjust the tps

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

Dirtclod

Reaction score
If it's like the obs, you can adjust the tps

Do you have to do all that to make the power of of a 7three? :fustrate:

dsberman94

Reaction score
Quick question regarding this 38r, where should I set the gate at? Don't really want to overspeed it and trash it. Right now it's set at 25psi.

Are you sure it's set at 25 or your stock map sensor only reads to 25 psi?

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Are you sure it's set at 25 or your stock map sensor only reads to 25 psi?

I've got a full set of gauges with a mechanical boost gauge. It comes up to about 26-27psi and you can see pressure settle back to 24-25 when the gate opens. Hot tune will overrun the gate and still make 30psi.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Mines making around 36 psi, and sounds healthy, and I am going to tighten it up to make 40-42. Ive read over the years to try keep them under 45 psi, max around 40 if possible. Im not sure what people trashed them at. Going off of memory though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.