Tow rig setup

TyCorr

Reaction score
30 won't hurt it a bit. With 30% nozzles that ought to be a good spot. Maybe 35...i wouldn't go much farther because towing who runs out to 4k rpms and 45 pounds?

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I guess I'm not sure why you wouldn't want it to clean up as much fuel as it safely can. He did say a few posts ago that it gets hot and smokey on hotter tunes. So obviously he's not just towing. And once your gate opens up, so does your heat. Either way your right foot controls egts, but I'd rather have it ready to work. Than letting the fuel go by.

Everybody plays a little. But that's my opinion.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
I was thinking of setting it at 30 in the tow tunes, should end up around 40 in the hot tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
I guess I'm not sure why you wouldn't want it to clean up as much fuel as it safely can. He did say a few posts ago that it gets hot and smokey on hotter tunes. So obviously he's not just towing. And once your gate opens up, so does your heat. Either way your right foot controls egts, but I'd rather have it ready to work. Than letting the fuel go by.

Everybody plays a little. But that's my opinion.

Tuning controls fuel. We setting this up to tow or to work best when running around empty? Take a peak at the compressor map and tell me what there is to gain beyond 35? Or 40 if you want me to give a little for arguments sake.

Mine does very well with 250/200s under 35psi. Past that point even with the wastegate all but welded shut it has no positive effect on egts. Billet wheel designed for top end performance the whole9.

But thats just my opinion.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Id say 48+14.4....52lbs....it only moves 70 some...i think 80 with a billet wheel. Those wheels are a whole 'nother conversation.

At 35 Id say its approaching the edge of the meat.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
https://vimeo.com/178406307
Not too shabby for a tow tune. That's on a decent uphill grade with ambient temp at 88* and 70% humidity. I adjusted the gate tighter by 2 turns and gained about 3-4psi. Think I could still go 3-4 turns tighter.

ja_cain

Reaction score
https://vimeo.com/178406307
Not too shabby for a tow tune. That's on a decent uphill grade with ambient temp at 88* and 70% humidity. I adjusted the gate tighter by 2 turns and gained about 3-4psi. Think I could still go 3-4 turns tighter.

Not too shabby for a 6 speed in a tow tune. How is the smoke while doing a pull like that? Can't wait to see how well it does towing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Not too shabby for a 6 speed in a tow tune. How is the smoke while doing a pull like that? Can't wait to see how well it does towing.

Smoke is pretty much non existent, just a slight puff when you first stomp on it in the tow tunes. The hot tunes are a different story, quite smoky until your above 15ish psi, but I kind of expected that.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Smoke is pretty much non existent, just a slight puff when you first stomp on it in the tow tunes. The hot tunes are a different story, quite smoky until your above 15ish psi, but I kind of expected that.

Good info. What tunes are you running again?

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Adjusted the gate some more this morning and drove it into work. Peak boost, in the same tune as the video was taken, is now 29psi and egts dropped about 75*.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Forgot to give an update. Went to the show this past Saturday, had our small trailer so about 8k lbs loaded with horses. Temps were 90-95* outside, high humidity and I was very very disappointed with how it ran. I was happy with the power it had, just exhaust temps were out of control and if I let the truck start to lug down and really work hard below 1800rpm it would send this 38r well past its surge line.
I've already had some different tunes sent to me to try so maybe tonight I'll load the horses on and just go for a drive to see how this set of tunes run.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.