Tow rig setup

Reaction score
I might have a few data logs with my last setup, 175/100s and T500, off memory it would hold 3200 psi on a hard pull with our 31ft TT @ around 40% DC, I don't remember what the PW was off hand though. I do know I also never had to look at my pyro once I swapped in the BASB and 175/100 nozzles, but I hated 160/0s and the D66 towing

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
I might have a few data logs with my last setup, 175/100s and T500, off memory it would hold 3200 psi on a hard pull with our 31ft TT @ around 40% DC, I don't remember what the PW was off hand though. I do know I also never had to look at my pyro once I swapped in the BASB and 175/100 nozzles, but I hated 160/0s and the D66 towing

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

Curious who your injector provider is?

psduser1

Reaction score
Is there a single pump that can keep up with these 175/80's?

Im thinking the Adrenaline and HB Jr. are pretty close flow wise.

Maybe the Honey Badger Sr?

Otherwise whats the options? Twin pumps or a Gen 3?

My stealth is doing just fine:p.
Course we've all heard the stories, but the two I've got are holding up well, knock on wood.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I run a BASB with FF 180/80's and an adrenaline, I tow with GH's all out tune and my ICP holds rock solid about 2900 psi at about 42-45% IPR. Oil supply has never been an issue with my set up. And that's towing 10-12k lbs.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
38r with Unlimited 160/80's is what is going into my Excursion. Should be 400 hp and that is all I need for driving around and towing my enclosed 20' trailer.

I will also have a HbJr going in as well.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
38r with Unlimited 160/80's is what is going into my Excursion. Should be 400 hp and....

I sometimes wish I went hybrids too. 238/80 .

What Swaan said is why I hesitate to suggest 180cc and down A codes. Nobody wants to buy injectors twice. I think the consensus is 80% nozzles will suffice to do what you want, and a 238/80 hybrid can be used to make a clean 400hp, and use less oil. But if you decide one day to make it faster you have the fuel there to use.

ibestroken

Reaction score
I have a very similar truck that is my tow pig/work horse. 2001 6sp. I run 38r,regulate return,stealth billet pump,and 165/80s with power hungry tunes. I love it!! Stays in tow tune daily as that's what I do for a living. Grosses between 22-26k everyday and have put 45k on truck since early feb and still running like a top with 325k on engine. Is very peppy if you want to turn it up and play. I recommend a good clutch (sb3250 dd is what I use) of you tow with it on a normal basis. Good luck with the truck.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I think it's almost a no brainer to go with a 200/80 or 238/80 initially. Run stock hpop with piece of mind. I like the fact that Matt @ g3rh3ad likes these. Then when you are ready to go to the 200% nozzles and experience the ultimate in low egt's while towing you are a nozzle swap and tune away. Lol! This is what I'm thinking long term especially if want to get into tuning. Does anyone know which injector builder Matt likes?

Last edited:

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I hauled some telephone poles for my neighbor tonight, and hit the scale on the way out and it was 15,300. While I know that's not heavy, its just all I've had to tow since I put my injectors and clutch in finally. With 238/100s, 38R, T500, and g3arh3ads #4 file, the truck is absolutely perfect. Its hard to reach 1200-1300 degrees unless your lugging hard and 1500 or less rpm. Absolutely effortless acceleration, great manors, very very low smoke unless you go to pass someone and hit it hard, but it cleans up quickly. You dont have to watch the pyrometer, or drive by it, and the truck makes great power. My wastegate is currently set so the EBP never gets above ~50-52 psi which is a little light but the truck works so good. I must say I am very happy with my choice on fuel.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Funny you guys mention oil hungry 175/80s.
I can set my CEL on a hot tune towing heavy.
For low icp.
I'm even running an adrenaline and it will do that...

I sometimes wish I went hybrids too. 238/80 .

Srp never dropped it but thats obviously not a solution unless you can locatea rejected one and have dynoproven give it the honeybadger treatment. Im running one I had new in a box from a customer who had two fail and was pissed so i had to eat it. I gave my good 17° to a stranded motorist last winter so i dont have a spare to send my srp in to dynoproven.

I dont see a 238 or 250 being a good idea compared to a 200. The hp oil requirements are different. A 250 is as oil hungry as an ad. If you arent tuning this yourself dont give yourself an unnecessary headache. A 200 with a 30 or 80% nozzle is good. If you go with an a code get the 30% nozzle or you ARE going to have hpo issues in any decent tune.

If you decide to run aftermarket oil then you can support a larger injector.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I would think that there would be no difference between a 200/200 and 238/200 at a given pw and icp. Assuming fuel and oil side mods are the same the 238 will just have a longer maximum stroke allowing it to run higher pw before emptying. My understanding of these things could be completely wrong though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
I wouldn't run either of those combos for what he's trying to do. Our tuning thread talks aside, he isnt going to be happy with any 200% nozzle setup ordering tunes through the mail.

As far as the the performance goes, the data seems to point that a 200/200 has anywhere from 510-540 something in it for fuel. A 238/200 520-560 and 250/200 540-600. So its pretty much the same ballgame. Tuning may vary just because the tuner knows "at this pw the 200cc fuel side is empty" but other than wot its similar. I could probably put someone with a light right foot in my truck with stock pcm (no chip) and my setup (250/2 38r bla bla bla) and they wouldnt know any better. It may buck in od at lower speeds where the pw is cutting the injector in and out, like a light switch.

But as for the op's goals a 238/80 is overkill other than it'll use less oil than an a code with the same restriction.

I dont know, im staying out of discussions for the most part. I figure out what works for me and let the web do what it wants. But this type of thread is harmless and gives nycowboy pretty good feedback on what is working.

For example: you'd think swaan would be golden in any tune with an adrenaline. But he openly stated that isnt the case. Good feedback.

Reaction score
Are the t500 and adrenaline fairly close? Like I said, pressure held rock steady at 31-3200 psi at 40 something DC when I had t500 with 175/100s. I don't remember what PW Jody was calling for, but it was clean and super cool egt wise. I tried to dig up those data logs and don't remember what drive I used to save them to

dsberman94

Reaction score
I've been running around on my hot tune for the last 2 weeks. Strictly my GH all out tune and that's it. Running on some oil with over 7000 miles on it (yea I know that's dumb), with PIS 175/80s and a t500. I've always known my truck to run hotter than most. My oil temps ran 220 all the way to and home from Tennessee last weekend in 90* ambient temps holding 75-80 mph. EGTs never got out of hand. Today I got a stroke of stupidity to pass a truck and a couple cars. Truck downshifted and took off. EGTs shot up over 1400 after 4-5 seconds with icp holding over 3000 and ipr never hit 60% I don't get how you guys are maxing out the ipr% and having icp drop to set codes before temps get out of hand.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I've been running around on my hot tune for the last 2 weeks. Strictly my GH all out tune and that's it. Running on some oil with over 7000 miles on it (yea I know that's dumb), with PIS 175/80s and a t500. I've always known my truck to run hotter than most. My oil temps ran 220 all the way to and home from Tennessee last weekend in 90* ambient temps holding 75-80 mph. EGTs never got out of hand. Today I got a stroke of stupidity to pass a truck and a couple cars. Truck downshifted and took off. EGTs shot up over 1400 after 4-5 seconds with icp holding over 3000 and ipr never hit 60% I don't get how you guys are maxing out the ipr% and having icp drop to set codes before temps get out of hand.

Nobody cares...people smarter than you are maxing out modded pumps with the same injectors.

Rebuild your oil cooler and replace your fan clutch and radiator and your oil temps would be inder 200 degrees. If you ever hooked onto something that was 10k lbs you'd overheat that rattletrap.

Your truck is pmr and not studded. Matt is smarter than you think. He has fuel pulled back so that truck doesnt spit a rod out. And if it downshifted and still hit 1400 degrees empty you have a massive boostleak.

Ok. Back to the discussion.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on a set of 200/30's. Figured that would be safe 450ish hp max, so I shouldn't have to worry about the clutch or kicking a rod. Kinda eager to see how they run. I have to admit, setting up a truck like this is a first for me. My other trucks, and a few that I have helped build for friends have all been big injectors with 200+ nozzles with a big charger or multiple chargers.
Also noticed the truck has slowly been dropping boost as it used to run 27psi and I'm down to about 23psi now. Found an up pipe leaking so I installed bellowed up pipes last night and boost is still low but egts are a bit better. For the life of me I can't figure out what's going on, all the charge air piping and boots look good, charger itself seems to be fine too. I'm kind of thinking maybe the intercooler is leaking a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dsberman94

Reaction score
Nobody cares...people smarter than you are maxing out modded pumps with the same injectors.

Rebuild your oil cooler and replace your fan clutch and radiator and your oil temps would be inder 200 degrees. If you ever hooked onto something that was 10k lbs you'd overheat that rattletrap.

Your truck is pmr and not studded. Matt is smarter than you think. He has fuel pulled back so that truck doesnt spit a rod out. And if it downshifted and still hit 1400 degrees empty you have a massive boostleak.

Ok. Back to the discussion.

He has fuel pulled back until 2000 rpm where it really starts to pull. And there's no boost leak. It maxes the stock map sensor.

Plzstrokeme

Reaction score
I have 160/30s and a t500 with Tony Wildman tunes and I have set the check engine light twice while pulling hard. I have not logged any numbers but it seems the hotter the engine gets the harder it is for the pump to keep up.

I'm happy I found this thread. I was thinking about getting an adrenaline and selling the t500 but it sounds like I may have the same issues.

Latest posts

Members online