Tuning 101 - Thread Merged with Injector Posts

Charles

Reaction score
I ran timing (in the map) from 0 to 5 to 10 to 15 to 20 across the board with no change to smoke on a cold engine. I also ran ICP from 500 to 650 to 750 to over 1200 at idle with no change. I also ran pulsewidth from 1.5 to 1.3 to 1.2 to 1.1 with no change.

I don't know what the secret is, but if I pull the chip the stock file on the PCM does not smoke that I recall, so whatever it is, it's my fault.

When I get more time I will look hard at Dave's stuff and see what I can learn.

ja_cain

Reaction score
It just sounds like a truck idling, lol.

If I hadn't crashed my Gopro when my quad lost a motor I would get some video blasting down the road with no smoke.

On Edit:

Here, I found this from 6 years ago. I think this was 300/300's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZxE7XMxR7Q

A video response to talks that I had blown my engine. Again, probably 300/300's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUVhGtIvido

Charles, you sound a lot younger than I imagined. Lol! Truck sounded nice, btw. Broken rod. Lol!

ja_cain

Reaction score
I ran timing (in the map) from 0 to 5 to 10 to 15 to 20 across the board with no change to smoke on a cold engine. I also ran ICP from 500 to 650 to 750 to over 1200 at idle with no change. I also ran pulsewidth from 1.5 to 1.3 to 1.2 to 1.1 with no change.

I don't know what the secret is, but if I pull the chip the stock file on the PCM does not smoke that I recall, so whatever it is, it's my fault.

Need to get a monitor on there to see what is going on. Hell, Torque Pro is 10 bucks plus 20 bucks for the adapter. No excuse. Lol! :poke: Please forgive me if I assumed incorrectly that you didn't have a way to monitor parameters on this current truck. For some reason I thought you originally said that. This has all of the makings of a potentially great thread. Thanks again for all of your insight.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Need to get a monitor on there to see what is going on. Hell, Torque Pro is 10 bucks plus 20 bucks for the adapter. No excuse. Lol! oke: Please forgive me if I assumed incorrectly that you didn't have a way to monitor parameters on this current truck. For some reason I thought you originally said that. This has all of the makings of a potentially great thread. Thanks again for all of your insight.
torque pro is 5 bucks and im positive he has AE. if he cared to monitor it at all.. lol

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

ja_cain

Reaction score
torque pro is 5 bucks and im positive he has AE. if he cared to monitor it at all.. lol

live life full throttle

I pretty much figured a guy like him had AE, but was just poking a little fun. Lol!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
Orrr....the tuning software :doh:

What hardware do you need to flash the PCM? The Moats Quarterhorse is used for live tuning as far as I know. You can look at all parameters and modify them real time while the engine is running.

cbf9703

Reaction score

Haul the laptop with you and pull up Dave's files for bathroom perusal so you'll find the time. LOL
Charles, you sound a lot younger than I imagined. Lol! Truck sounded nice, btw. Broken rod. Lol!
He's our age. I loved how that truck ran.

live life full throttle

Yep
Orrr....the tuning software :doh:
And yep.

Entertaining read tonight.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
I would love to have a look at Dave's files. He was running 200/200's with a ZF-6, if I remember correctly. It would be nice to compare his and Charles files once I get a good handle on all of this stuff.

TyCorr

Reaction score

Wouldnt adding timing make it haze/smoke cold?

Could compression be the true cause?

Edit:chit. Nevermind. Saw the comment about pulling the chip. Can you just watch values there and then mimic them when the truck is in P?

TyCorr

Reaction score
I would love to have a look at Dave's files. He was running 200/200's with a ZF-6, if I remember correctly. It would be nice to compare his and Charles files once I get a good handle on all of this stuff.

Which Dave?

If you are referring to the guy that Charles hit up for tuning ideas, he had 4/4s and an auto. But he said he stepped back to a 200% nozzle.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Which Dave?

If you are referring to the guy that Charles hit up for tuning ideas, he had 4/4s and an auto. But he said he stepped back to a 200% nozzle.
Dave at Swamps. I forgot about Dave that Charles was looking for on cold temp tuning ideas. I realize now that's who Frank was referring too. Doh!

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
Haul the laptop with you and pull up Dave's files for bathroom perusal so you'll find the time. LOL

He's our age. I loved how that truck ran.

Yep

And yep.

Entertaining read tonight.

Everyone at my house knows that daddy does all of the real learning on the "pot". Lol! My in-laws and girls wrapped it up in Christmas wrapping paper while I was in WVa last weekend. I should have taken a picture of it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Hmmmm, im confused. I only knew of 907Dave aka alaskan dave being involved. He was willing to woodshed over cold weather tuning adjustments to keep Chuck from smoking out the daycare brats and their Han Solo dressed mommies LOL

cbf9703

Reaction score
Hmmmm, im confused. I only knew of 907Dave aka alaskan dave being involved. He was willing to woodshed over cold weather tuning adjustments to keep Chuck from smoking out the daycare brats and their Han Solo dressed mommies LOL

I was referring to 907Dave, not Golfer. While last I knew Charlie was running Swamps injectors and I saw a reference apologizing in advance to Shawn, so I'm assuming this is still the case... I was not implying he should be studying Dave or Jonathan's tuning on the chitter. LOL he's had plenty of years to find what he can in their tunes at this point.

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
I'm the confused one. Lol! You guys are much more familiar with Alaskan Dave than I am. His testimony is also much more relevant to the current issues at hand (cold temp starting). Hopefully Charles will break it down Barney style for us rookies if he ends up having any revelations while studying Daves tunes.

Last edited: