Tuning 101 - Thread Merged with Injector Posts

PABowhunter

Reaction score
That's not really fair. How many injector builders actually tune what they sell? Swamps are about the only vendor that I can think of.
I would be interested in hearing what those guys have to say. From what I remember, they don't necessarily push larger nozzles to their towing customers.

Swamps has always pushed either 30% or 200% nozzles. I remember Dave saying he had files for 200% nozzles that you couldn't make smoke if you wanted to.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
What I find humorous is Charles is on here preaching that everyone needs 200% nozzles for everything under the sun, but at the same time on here looking for a way to keep his own from hazing at idle.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Swamps has always pushed either 30% or 200% nozzles. I remember Dave saying he had files for 200% nozzles that you couldn't make smoke if you wanted to.
This is what I was talking about above. I remember him saying that in another post. I would love to get those files, especially since I think he was running them with a zf6.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

psduser1

Reaction score
No. Once a file works with a given nozzle it's done. Truck to truck I have not seen ANY difference. Nor do they "change". People that act like you need to custom tune every truck just don't have a good file and the trucks it "works" on just have owners that don't care or don't know better.

A good file will always work on a truck that isn't broken.
"Broken is pretty black and white, while "wear" is not...
I think that's a lot of the idea that that different trucks respond differently to a single part/tune change.
There's millions of these out there, from 45k, to 350k miles, of course they are going to be different with "standard" tunes. Once again, from a vendors standpoint, 100%s are easier to tune.
Sad that reality could be seen so negatively. In your case just tell people you don't know what you're doing and hang up if they ask about anything stronger than an AD.

I think plenty of people have taken tuning home with them being fed up with the idiots they have to try and pull tuning out of. I can't get a 200% file not to pull like a freight train without smoking. Not after tedious tuning..... (just right out of the gate. )

It does NOT take custom tuning. You simply can't call for 4 ***ing milliseconds of fuel with 2000 psi at part throttle or other dumb sh*t like that.

Get on board or just sell AD's and AB's and hang up if they ask about anything else.

First try, huh? You should sold tunes ten yrs ago, you'd be a millionaire, then.
Seriously, I know you are well-versed, but that's a bit harsh. There is a market for smaller nozzles. Its simple, and it works.
I do agree that 200% nozzles are better, ironically, but most people that haven't spent time playing with this platform, and it's heyday in general population has come and gone. So, the aftermarket caters to the easy money.
And, nope, I don't tune. I just use them.

Nice to see you post again, Charles, because I do still use this platform.:D

JD3020

Reaction score
For the general group I was referring to... In our 30s, which actually makes us part of the older group compared to all the youngins on here.... What's scary is the number of members that were just starting to legally drive when Charlie made that video that Justin commented on him sounding so young in. LOL

Derail complete.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hell i'm 21, got my 250/200%'s and started tuning when i was 19. I missed out on the "good ole days" of the 7.3 drama.

Charles

Reaction score
What I find humorous is Charles is on here preaching that everyone needs 200% nozzles for everything under the sun, but at the same time on here looking for a way to keep his own from hazing at idle.

I would love to see the look on your face 30 seconds after we took off in my crew cab with 20,000lbs in tow and you had plenty of time to see the complete lack of anything coming out the taipipe while we were passing cars and surging the hell out of a 38r with a 1.15 housing at 1550 rpm!

Then I could ask, what now smart ass?

And the reason I ask about the smoke and post videos is because I'm honest and upfront. Secondly, my same program will also smoke like that on a 100 or a 30. I know because I've run them all just about! As I think I mentioned before I may have made the 30% exist! You're welcome!

And I said clearly, the problem is my lack of experience tuning for efficiency at idle. The stock file on the AEB pcm does not smoke with the 200's. This thread had moved beyond the I can'ts like you and Jim and the rest of us were discussing the solutions.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
this is a very informative thread for the guys that are or are going to try their hand at tuning.. if possible, can the pissing matches go elsewhere?

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
You apparently can't understand what I have been saying for years. But then again you were the one preaching not that long ago why no one in there right mind should run more than a 30% EH nozzle because you made xxx hp and your truck was just amazing. im sure what ever you run next is the only thing worth using soon.

I have yet to see much useful info past the first few pages of this thread anyways just more of the same bs.

Good luck all.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
this is a very informative thread for the guys that are or are going to try their hand at tuning.. if possible, can the pissing matches go elsewhere?

live life full throttle

^this

I know it's an old platform, but it's still progressing. Let's keep the tuning discussion going.

TyCorr

Reaction score
They do idle good. When you brought the throttle up at idle to 2500 or so in the idle vid, whats that light chop when returning to idle.. Im not trying to control nearly as much nozzle, but mine has always done the same thing. Kinda drops below target idle and returns to it.

Thats a 7.3! They all do that from what I've seen. Especially with larger injectors.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ty was just saying a while back, how important the intake heater is in colder climates. Lol! You just took the words out of my mouth on the 200% exacerbating variances in different motors. Now I can ****** my post. Lol! The real key, in my opinion, is the ability to tune your own truck or have someone readily available to live tune it at any given time.

heater does help eliminate a lil cold start smoke but not much. also blocks 20% of the air flow..

live life full throttle

:shrug: i havent had an air intake heater for ten years at least...i dont see the importance. Musta been someone else.

And oil doesnt matter to me. My truck went 235k miles on pennzoil 15w40 and motorcraft filters. I switched to mobil 5w40 for one year and it starts better cold and doesnt romp but ive been on delo 400 15w40 for about five years now. No reason to changed for me.

Charles

Reaction score
You apparently can't understand what I have been saying for years. But then again you were the one preaching not that long ago why no one in there right mind should run more than a 30% EH nozzle because you made xxx hp and your truck was just amazing. im sure what ever you run next is the only thing worth using soon.

I have yet to see much useful info past the first few pages of this thread anyways just more of the same bs.

Good luck all.

You may know better, but I'd say close to 10 years ago I felt that way about EH. Edm stuff was about as likely to crack as anything else plus I hadn't yet learned that a smooth nozzle hole was the enemy. If anything my extensive experience with the 30% EH should make it obvious that I above all else know what I'm talking about when I compare its capability to other options. I may have more dyno pulls on a 30 EH in the same truck than anybody on planet earth.

You suck at big nozzles. We get it. Don't sell them, unplug your phone, see a psychiatrist, whatever you need to do. Just stfu about it publicly. When you or Jim get a call about anything other than a stock 7 holer just slam the phone down. People don't need to talk to you to get a nice injector. I don't give one damn if you ever sell a 200 nozzle. You and Jim have nothing to do with people kicking ass daily running a 200edm.

Lead, follow or get out of the way...

ja_cain

Reaction score
:shrug: i havent had an air intake heater for ten years at least...i dont see the importance. Musta been someone else.

And oil doesnt matter to me. My truck went 235k miles on pennzoil 15w40 and motorcraft filters. I switched to mobil 5w40 for one year and it starts better cold and doesnt romp but ive been on delo 400 15w40 for about five years now. No reason to changed for me.
I could have sworn you said something about intake heaters recently. I apologize for suggesting it was you. I guess my memory could be tanking in my older age. My wife is always making comments about how bad my memory is. Maybe she is on to something. :)

TyCorr

Reaction score

I have your injectors. 250/200s. They have been great. And im sorryi agree with charles. Bill tuned my junk and its been great.

And I have a combo that "doesnt work" according to forums. 38r/250-200...the charger isnt a limitation on the street.

My all out tune smokes but its supposed to. I have a daily tune that is peppy and will burn the tires off constantly and it doesnt smoke at all until higher rpms in 4th gear.

To each his own, but there are guys who can just write tunes that work right off the bat. I had icp issues but that was my pump producing huge amounts of icp and needing to be pulled in.

Gearhead

Reaction score
I have actually found that the 80% nozzle seems to be cleaner at idle than the 30% or 100% nozzle. Maybe something has changed but I assume that the 80% still has the least amount of extrude hone work over the starting EDM'ed hole size.

Edit:
I have seen 200% nozzles run cleaner at idle compared to 100% as well.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
I have actually found that the 80% nozzle seems to be cleaner at idle than the 30% or 100% nozzle. Maybe something has changed but I assume that the 80% still has the least amount of extrude hone work over the starting EDM'ed hole size.

And I agree with you. I ran 80&100 on the same 175s and the 80 anyday. Whether its the manufacture or the size they did nothing for me. And i cant see the 100 being worth trying on a small hybrid just to see. An 80 or 200...is fine thus far

Edit:my 200s are cleaner than my 80 and 100 were.

Latest posts

Members online