tuning and Trans issue

Cheap6.7

Reaction score
again, are we supposed to do a trans relearn and hows it done?

live life full throttle

H&S said to do it with there tunes so everyone took that as a rule of thumb.

Basically you load tune the drive 1/4 throttle threw the gears then stop.
Then 1/2 throttle threw the gears and stop.
Then full throttle threw the gears and stop.
Done

Reaction score
Interesting stance considering you tried to vilify Gearhead tuning over in this thread after a similar situation, but engine related. http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56705&page=2

And I don't bet money on coincidences.

You evidently don't read worth a sh*t.

I use Gearhead all the time! They do all our mcc tuning. So quit being a moron and talking about something you don't know about.

In the thread you referenced, do you know the shop that put the truck together? Did you talk to them personally? Do you know who's turbo they were running?.... I did, I also know what tuning was on the truck.... They even had one of our turbo kits.. And it wasn't right for what they guy had. Period. I never once said that Gearhead doesn't know how to tune. That truck did not have the correct tune for a 2015 turbo. Period. That and a heavy dual fueler tune it why the truck blew up. It was not Gearhead fault, but it was the tunes fault.... It had the incorrect tune. BIG difference.

Not looking to start a battle here but it seems that Morgan is all about self promoting . I inquired about the built Trans that he offers asking about warranty and hp levels. I was told in order for it it be warranties I have to use his/kem tunes and that there is no hp rating if I put more to it then it can handle it would be fixed. why would anyone want to limit themselves on their tuning options and also not know what the capabilites are of it holding up. I for one would be looking for an upgrade that I know will handle what I putting to it not just throw it on hope it holds and it if it doesnt it will get repaire.the whole point is for peace of mind. Does this seem a little odd to anyone else. There are other trans out there that tell you what their limit is and you can use wharevert tuning you want. Why would anyone want to limited in their options

Really?

Let me make this really clear. It has NOTHING to do about self promotion. That is stupid.

I told you there is no hp rating. I told you it's warrantied for whatever you can throw at it. What is not clear about that? I told you I don't rate stuff in "hp" because that is an ignorant and inconsistent way of rating things. Throw a 1000hp at it, I don't care. It's warrantied.

But it will not be warrantied if I don't know who's tuning your running. If you don't run tuning from a tuner that is approved we will not cover it. We have been doing that with 5r110's for years. Otherwise you could tune it yourself and completely ruin it and expect warranty. There are plenty of companies this way with tuning and trans warranty. That's the only way we can guarantee and actually warranty a trans that it will function correctly. And unlike a lot of companies we actually warranty it, not tell you to go pound sand.

Get a trans from somewhere else, it doesn't matter. Call elite.... You evidently don't understand how things work with products. See what warranty and "hp rating" you get from any other company. Please post other companies with built 6r140's references and peoples testaments about them. Tell me anyone who is going to dyno your truck and say "your warrantied for this" or that your warranty is void because you make too much power. I would like to see someone else's 6r140 and their specs?

We've been around a long time and have a very good track record of taking care of customers. But to call me out about standard practice same as a lot of companies and warranty is bullsh*t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I don't understand what's hard to comprehend. Can someone clear up where I'm wrong? A built trans that's warrantied from front to back. It has no power rating, telling you to throw whatever you want at it. And then in turn we require you run approved tuning because we actually want the trans to work and last for you since we know what it takes?

Cheap6.7

Reaction score
I don't understand what's hard to comprehend. Can someone clear up where I'm wrong? A built trans that's warrantied from front to back. It has no power rating, telling you to throw whatever you want at it. And then in turn we require you run approved tuning because we actually want the trans to work and last for you since we know what it takes?

One thing is people need to know you can provide more than just one set of tunes for them to warranty your tranns.

You are happy with a cupple of tunes/tuners out there right?

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
Just as an example of a "warrantied" transmission and your peace of mind. A Performance Automatic C-4 with all the bells and whistles "rated" for 1000hp failed behind our 572 ci BBF. Engine made just shy of 1000hp at 968. And we didn't bitch, we got it fixed, sold it, and upgraded to a Super Glide rated for 2500hp. Seems like a lot of $h!t throwing and name smearing, especially someone who's trying to inform you and you don't want to hear or believe it. Things break, it sucks and it happens get it fixed and move on. This is getting old already.

Keith

Reaction score
One thing is people need to know you can provide more than just one set of tunes for them to warranty your tranns.

You are happy with a cupple of tunes/tuners out there right?

Yes. There are a couple tuners we use and set up the tunes the way they need to be for us to be happy and warranty that they aren't going to mis-tune it. Doesn't mean you need to get tuning directly through us (even though it makes the process easier).

And yes there is the ability to tune it for whatever you could possibly want/need.

jcain

Reaction score
You evidently don't read worth a sh*t.

I use Gearhead all the time! They do all our mcc tuning. So quit being a moron and talking about something you don't know about.

In the thread you referenced, do you know the shop that put the truck together? Did you talk to them personally? Do you know who's turbo they were running?.... I did, I also know what tuning was on the truck.... They even had one of our turbo kits.. And it wasn't right for what they guy had. Period. I never once said that Gearhead doesn't know how to tune. That truck did not have the correct tune for a 2015 turbo. Period. That and a heavy dual fueler tune it why the truck blew up. It was not Gearhead fault, but it was the tunes fault.... It had the incorrect tune. BIG difference.

Well, name calling and cursing like a middle schooler definitely doesn't help get your point across but I guess I'm the moron.
So let me get this straight;

Well, that is no surprise. Hp is not the problem, hell they blew rods out with 11 chargers at 450hp..... It all comes down to tuning......

I'm sure tuning, a small vgt turbo and low end fueling have a lot to do with it..... Pull fuel out of the bottom, tuned accordingly and a gate, no worries.

That is you NOT blaming tuning, which was in fact, done by Gearhead?
Matt also said the tune had a dual pump progressive fueling curve.
If you knew the truck SO well why did you not consider it's previous "life" ie: Spartan tuned, beat to **** and just eating a turbo before directly relating the failure to current tuning?
You were quick to point out the OP here ran other tuning and had some issues/codes so "how" could we possibly say it was the current tuning ran for just so little time/distance.

Last edited:

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
And on the subject of tuners, these Gearhead tunes are awesome on the trans, can't imagine they can get much better. Shifting is greatly improved over the dedicated race tune trans file I had prior.

Keith

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of $h!t throwing and name smearing, especially someone who's trying to inform you and you don't want to hear or believe it. Things break, it sucks and it happens get it fixed and move on. This is getting old already.

Keith

This is the problem I have. When everything good it's all great. When it's not seems pretty quick to point fingers

Like when the tuning from other wasn't correct then it was to blame it on the turbo. Even though once he got the standard tunes from use which came right off the shelf same as the 20 others sitting next to it. Then all the sudden....

i got some more seat time and all i can say is WOWOWOWOW driveablitly is fabulous and shifting is spot on. way to go morgan

i just wish these other guys wouldnt put it out there that there stuff has been tested and tried and claim no issues on "their" trucks or "several others" they have done. if its still in testing:fustrate: be forthcoming and say so dont claim ignorance

You won't be disappointed

Few days later now everything is our fault again and our trans having a full no hp limit warranty is "self promoting".

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, name calling and cursing like a middle schooler definitely doesn't help get your point across but I guess I'm the moron.

If you knew the truck SO well why did you not consider it's previous "life" ie: Spartan tuned, beat to **** and just eating a turbo?
You were quick to point out the OP here ran other tuning and had some issues/codes.

If you would READ....

I never once said that Gearhead doesn't know how to tune. That truck did not have the correct tune for a 2015 turbo. Period. That and a heavy dual fueler tune it why the truck blew up. It was not Gearhead fault, but it was the tunes fault.... It had the incorrect tune. BIG difference.

It had the incorrect tune for his turbo. How many times do I have to say that. I never said that it was gearheads fault. At that time they did not have a good 2015 turbo file. It was still the light switch spooling stock style turbo file. It was tunings fault. I never said it wasn't... Once again where are you getting anything different? Did you talk to the shop? I did.... Please quit making assumptions...

Last edited:
Reaction score

If you knew the truck SO well why did you not consider it's previous "life" ie: Spartan tuned, beat to **** and just eating a turbo before directly relating the failure to current tuning?
You were quick to point out the OP here ran other tuning and had some issues/codes so "how" could we possibly say it was the current tuning ran for just so little time/distance.

So you are disagreeing that a stock turbo file while running a 2015 turbo with fueling for dual pumps didn't have anything to do with it?

I never once said the truck could not have had issues. But it wasn't blown up before. Then you double the ipw with running a 61mm vgt without the more evolved 2015 vane control.. Recipie for disaster.

Matt has got the vgt portion nailed down now. So it's no longer an issue.

Evidently this thread was started in order to blame someone?

Last edited:

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
Im still taking it easy letting it learn but I have stabbed it a few times and I don't know if the engines making more power for sure but it sure feels quicker. Spools up much nicer than before. Traction control said hi a couple times yesterday without trying. Loving the tuning.

Keith

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
I guess to explain it better it's like now it spools up quicker so the lag is gone. Before, you could "feel" the turbo hit its sweet spot but now, it's just smooth, constant power. Transmission shifts how and when it needs to but I'll also attribute that to the fact they did something to compensate for the larger tires otherwise they wouldn't have wanted to know what size they were?

Keith

Reaction score
I guess to explain it better it's like now it spools up quicker so the lag is gone. Before, you could "feel" the turbo hit its sweet spot but now, it's just smooth, constant power. Transmission shifts how and when it needs to but I'll also attribute that to the fact they did something to compensate for the larger tires otherwise they wouldn't have wanted to know what size they were?

Keith

There are a lot of variables. But we like no know all the different parameters of possible. Mcc allows for a lot more individualizing of tunes.

Glad it's working good!

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Ive got nothing to add other than the transmission in my 15 is toast and it's never seen a tune from Midwest/KEM. The stock units are most certainly are far from bulletproof.

jbair14

Reaction score
I have KEM tuning in my '15 and ran it in race for only a few weeks, the shifts were way too violent for daily driving, and the 4th to 5th shift always missed under 75% + throttle. I went back to the performance tune and it shifts great for daily driving. I think the race should be used for track use only, it's not for a daily driver. I'm sure they could build a file that had full race power but not the race shifts. It would probably be slower overall, but still faster than the performance tune.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
The 2015 KEM Race tune was built in my regular cab. It has over 7500 miles of HELL, and I mean HELL from myself, Mike, and Morgan.

4wd Boosted Launches, Powerslides, Hell. Transmission is fine, right now.

We hurt Joshs in 4,000 miles. It flared BAD with the EDGE tuning.

The transmission isnt bulletproof, I only wish people understood how hard the torque these things make is on parts too.

Anyone who says they have more experience with the KEM tuning when it comes to this application is wrong. Morgan and myself giving our trucks and nights up for a couple months is the only reason things were able to be tested back and forth between such completely different engine calibrations.

Nothing pisses me off more than when someone kisses your ass when they get thier way and instantly flame when something isnt perfect. Easily swayed personalities motivate me to stay away..

Morgan is building the transmission in my 2011 one of these days when I have time to go visit. His 15 is an animal and shifts absolutely perfect. I spent last Sunday afternoon visiting with him and Nate in springfield.

Reaction score
I have KEM tuning in my '15 and ran it in race for only a few weeks, the shifts were way too violent for daily driving, and the 4th to 5th shift always missed under 75% + throttle. I went back to the performance tune and it shifts great for daily driving. I think the race should be used for track use only, it's not for a daily driver. I'm sure they could build a file that had full race power but not the race shifts. It would probably be slower overall, but still faster than the performance tune.

Yes, long story short everyone wants the tune with the most power. But doesn't want anything to break ever.

The race tune makes a lot of power. We spent a lot of time on the dyno to get it there. And the trans pressures are turned up to hold the power as best possible.

The only way is to make the engine defuel during shifts. Which it does from the factory. But we need to have it defuel to the point that it oust the shift load down to where the trans is safer I guess. Maybe call it a "stock trans race" tune. But at that point people won't like the tune because it's slow and shifts "mushy".

No matter what you cannot please everybody. And when you take a trans designed for 380 rwhp and put 600 to it things just don't last. That's why there are lower tunes. If you want drive with the most hp and the fastest shifting truck you will have to upgrade hard parts. It's not like this should be new to people. But I think some have a feeling that the 6r140 is bulletproof. Which it is not. Good trans but not bullet proof.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.