tuning and Trans issue

Reaction score
I don't agree with your opinion of this being the best rated transmission to date. Look at how the 5r did in the '08-'10 trucks. I had a stock tranny running over 550hp daily in my 6.4 and it felt a lot stronger than the transmission in my '15. Now maybe I was lucky I never had to do any work on the tranny but I was hoping for a transmission just as strong.

In stock form at stock hp nothing touches a 6r140. They have held good power, but plenty of people have killed them. Transmissions as we all know can be killed at any hp, it has a lot to do with driving style.

I guess I don't understand your comment

He's making a funny

This is funny and sad... Honestly, would more 'openness' (as if there was a lack of it) have made you stop modding or suddenly put $5K into a built trans? Seriously, how would this have really affected your behavior? The guys working the 6.7 the hardest have been very open about what's been happening.

I'm pretty sure everyone knew when I killed my 2015's trans. It wasn't news to me that they aren't bullet proof. Anyone who's read the thread on my regular cab knew that I killed the trans on it with a stock 2011 engine with canned h&s tunes. 4th gear clutches in a 6r are pathetic. For the most part shafts are huge and the other clutch packs are good size. The converter is also a weak point. And that going to be the major down fall right now at big 800+ hp levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Agreed my 6.4 didn't skip a beat being flogged again and again

and what was done to your 6.4 again???

You know I think the biggest frustration in all of this is Noone said from the beginin you should think about doing something with your Trans. When the questiom comes up for mods it's tunes deletes and turbos. Noone ever says trannny . Yes I am aware of mechanical limitation but there should be a little more openness on what these trucks CAN and can not handle.

so YOU modded your truck and YOU roached the trans but you're trying to blame it on others because no one TOLD you that you may hurt your stock trans that was designed for 380HP?? laughable at best LOL

...and then to scoff about someone offering to build you a trans AND warranty it regardless of what you do with it? simply because they wont give you a "HP" number that it is good for??

smh

oh and about the "openess" comment...if you dont like what others are saying or doing in the industry-commit yourself to all the cost and effort and dedication to being a leader in 6.7 performance and benefit all the rest of us. Before you keep blathering uncontrollably, put the shoe on the other foot...

Last edited:

higherlife

Reaction score
Could someone please post where they are getting this "380 hp rating" for the 2015 transmission.
I am just curious because stating it as if you run 381 hp, the transmission can't handle +1 hp.

higherlife

Reaction score
And how can they put a transmission in a truck truck rated for 380 hp when the engine, on the ford website, is producing 440hp stock?

Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I know my shifting has pretty much always been very good. my truck lifted made 595 , which was prolly closer to 630 for a stock height truck , I know because my truck lost 36 rwhp lifting it, with no changes and 3:31 gearing. back to back on the dyno . mine got lazy , and when they get lazy shifting into reverse you know they are hurt . its never missed a beat making shifts, nor has converter slip ever been out of whack . the answer is very simple for most ( not including spanky as it seems him and morgan just got crappy transmissions or poor shift strategies) , something caused these failures. mine has been 600 horse for well over a year and I ( with lots of video proof) kick the dog$hit out of mine.

my 5R110 in my 6.4 , lived at 575 horse for less time, I would say it was 6 months , and it started getting hot ,often. I had it built much sooner in it's life. but yes I did spray it a few times over 700 at the track .. both are strong , but my opinion is that the 6R is stronger knowing how hard I beat on things.

spanky24365

Reaction score
I know my shifting has pretty much always been very good. my truck lifted made 595 , which was prolly closer to 630 for a stock height truck , I know because my truck lost 36 rwhp lifting it, with no changes and 3:31 gearing. back to back on the dyno . mine got lazy , and when they get lazy shifting into reverse you know they are hurt . its never missed a beat making shifts, nor has converter slip ever been out of whack . the answer is very simple for most ( not including spanky as it seems him and morgan just got crappy transmissions or poor shift strategies) , something caused these failures. mine has been 600 horse for well over a year and I ( with lots of video proof) kick the dog$hit out of mine.

my 5R110 in my 6.4 , lived at 575 horse for less time, I would say it was 6 months , and it started getting hot ,often. I had it built much sooner in it's life. but yes I did spray it a few times over 700 at the track .. both are strong , but my opinion is that the 6R is stronger knowing how hard I beat on things.

What tunes are you running

Reaction score
Could someone please post where they are getting this "380 hp rating" for the 2015 transmission.
I am just curious because stating it as if you run 381 hp, the transmission can't handle +1 hp.

The engine is 440hp at the flywheel. Which translates to 370-380 rear wheel hp depending in the dyno and tire size in a bone stock truck. The Trans is designed to take what ford tunes to engine to put out. Sure they over build them to some degree. Usually 10% by rule is what I've heard from other ford engineers. Still doesn't equate to holding at 550-600 rwhp. Which would translate to roughly 632-690 flywheel hp using the known drivetrain loss percentage we've seen from stock.

Rwhp not bhp

Yep

I understand that but this is how is this not how the hp is measured in this thread? By rwhp?

No, in this thread and pretty much everywhere on this whole forum we are talking RWHP numbers unless stated otherwise.

Yep, I've had others last really good like my 2011 crew cab with the s366 on it that I beat the crap out of at 520 hp for nearly 10k miles till I traded it in. But my regular cab 2wd didn't last 1k miles at less hp and weight. Both ran h&s files basically the whole time I owned them.

It is what it is. The 6r is an awesome transmission. But nothing is unbreakable. I get calls all the time inquiring about transmissions from all types of 6.7 owners with all types of tuning. Be surprised really. Especially growing since these trucks are getting miles and years on them now.

Reaction score

Can you please explains your lazy going into reverse comment? My truck hesitates to go into reverse but only if I jump in it and try to go right away.

Reaction score
Mine got really slow to go into drive. I had to count to 4 before I could accelerate. Otherwise it would slip and then bang into gear. But the Trans was shot by then anyway.

redwhitenblue

Reaction score
This is just too close to home and I feel your pain. Someone asks for power, you deliver and send them down the road. They are so happy with your work, but then their clutch slips or their maxxed out fuel pumps take a crap and all of a sudden its your fault. My favorite is,

"how much do you want me to turn it up?"
"max safe limit"
"you can't have both max and safe. You can have max with proper fueling, boost, and timing, but that isn't safe"
"ok, max it out".

And it couldn't be more true just because it lives on the dyno doesn't mean its going to live in the real world. It is remarkable that you can offer any warranty at all let alone an unlimited horsepower warranty! I'll be buying my trans from you! I have an sct tune from truckwurx (don't know who writes it, they wouldn't tell me) and the engine tune is good but the trans tune is hilariously off. The torque request reduction is so mistimed that it pulls power, puts it back in, then slams the shift in that order. I find it comical but my wallet cringes on every shift.

spanky24365

Reaction score
Just wanted to post a quick update . The truck has been at the dealership.since last Saturday and they still haven't figured out what's wrong with it. What I been told is the truck is.throwing numerous codes and they have been trouble shooting electrical and mechanical issues. Said they been back and forth on the phone with ford tech.

Latest posts

Members online