tuning and Trans issue

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Yes, long story short everyone wants the tune with the most power. But doesn't want anything to break ever.

The race tune makes a lot of power. We spent a lot of time on the dyno to get it there. And the trans pressures are turned up to hold the power as best possible.

The only way is to make the engine defuel during shifts. Which it does from the factory. But we need to have it defuel to the point that it oust the shift load down to where the trans is safer I guess. Maybe call it a "stock trans race" tune. But at that point people won't like the tune because it's slow and shifts "mushy".

No matter what you cannot please everybody. And when you take a trans designed for 380 rwhp and put 600 to it things just don't last. That's why there are lower tunes. If you want drive with the most hp and the fastest shifting truck you will have to upgrade hard parts. It's not like this should be new to people. But I think some have a feeling that the 6r140 is bulletproof. Which it is not. Good trans but not bullet proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moral of the story people

Just because you saw it live for 3 hours on "breaking points" on the dyno, doesn't mean you couldnt kill it in 40 minutes on the street.

Reaction score
Ive got nothing to add other than the transmission in my 15 is toast and it's never seen a tune from Midwest/KEM. The stock units are most certainly are far from bulletproof.

You wanna go fast? Well stuff is gonna break. I think a lot of people forget that. Just because the stock fuel system will make 500+hp doesn't mean that the transmission was built to deal with that. That's why we have companies that make shiny billet parts and badass clutches to deal with it.

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
Im aware. Im just saying.

Its the same principle as guys seeing a truck make 800 on a dyno and think they can do it nonstop and never have an issue just because ONE vehicle lived they all must.

Feel me?

Yep. Parts can always break under any condition. I blew a drive apart in my boat 66 miles away from the dock. It was rated well above the HP I was making...I even cracked the lower case...It happens. Spank has had some pretty ****ty luck though IMO.

swinky

Reaction score
Morgan what tuners/tunes do you accept for warranty work?

A couple of locals want to tune their 6.7s and I have no idea what to recommend to them.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
What are you going to do for a tranny

I really have wanted to build my own but I'm short on time lately. Morgan already offered to take care of it for me so I don't have too, that's probably what will end up happening.

You wanna go fast? Well stuff is gonna break. I think a lot of people forget that. Just because the stock fuel system will make 500+hp doesn't mean that the transmission was built to deal with that. That's why we have companies that make shiny billet parts and badass clutches to deal with it.

Yeah, for sure. Would be awesome if they were bulletproof though wouldn't it

Reaction score
I really have wanted to build my own but I'm short on time lately. Morgan already offered to take care of it for me so I don't have too, that's probably what will end up happening.

Yeah, for sure. Would be awesome if they were bulletproof though wouldn't it

6 speed allison are pretty close once you do a Transgo Jr shift kit. One of the shop trucks has been holding together at 530hp for the last 10,000 miles on nothing but that. Stock converter is getting angry though. lol Hell, it's even out lived the motor...cracked pistons FTW!

gfulton

Reaction score
Well look how long Kaleb's stock trans. stayed together and iirc it still was fine when they replaced it.....Mine has no problems either (knock on wood).....

dsmracing1

Reaction score

Exactly! Hell we all bought a 50+K truck and then added a few thousand in extra parts and that's just the basics to delete the truck. What's a few thousand more to get a built tranny to have fun. You stepped into playing with the big boys when you threw a delete kit at it with some custom tuning to make more than the pre loaded tunes. And wait lets just slap on a bigger turbo and turn the boost up some more and make some more power. But when the transmission goes then all hell breaks loose and then all of a sudden the best rated transmission to date in my opinion starts having problems. Well you just threw 500+ to the rear wheels doing it so its got to be expected. My transmission is squalling between 3-4 and 5-6 shifts and I sure as hell wont be pointing fingers on this forum saying its this or that. No, I'll be talking to my local guy and I will most likely be getting a built transmission for me! For now, its going to stay on tow tune and keep on making miles. I've been following this thread and it sure has been entertaining to say the least.

YOU GOTTA PAY TO PLAY....

jbair14

Reaction score
Exactly! Hell we all bought a 50+K truck and then added a few thousand in extra parts and that's just the basics to delete the truck. What's a few thousand more to get a built tranny to have fun. You stepped into playing with the big boys when you threw a delete kit at it with some custom tuning to make more than the pre loaded tunes. And wait lets just slap on a bigger turbo and turn the boost up some more and make some more power. But when the transmission goes then all hell breaks loose and then all of a sudden the best rated transmission to date in my opinion starts having problems. Well you just threw 500+ to the rear wheels doing it so its got to be expected. My transmission is squalling between 3-4 and 5-6 shifts and I sure as hell wont be pointing fingers on this forum saying its this or that. No, I'll be talking to my local guy and I will most likely be getting a built transmission for me! For now, its going to stay on tow tune and keep on making miles. I've been following this thread and it sure has been entertaining to say the least.

YOU GOTTA PAY TO PLAY....

I don't agree with your opinion of this being the best rated transmission to date. Look at how the 5r did in the '08-'10 trucks. I had a stock tranny running over 550hp daily in my 6.4 and it felt a lot stronger than the transmission in my '15. Now maybe I was lucky I never had to do any work on the tranny but I was hoping for a transmission just as strong.

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
I don't agree with your opinion of this being the best rated transmission to date. Look at how the 5r did in the '08-'10 trucks. I had a stock tranny running over 550hp daily in my 6.4 and it felt a lot stronger than the transmission in my '15. Now maybe I was lucky I never had to do any work on the tranny but I was hoping for a transmission just as strong.

If you don't know Morgan there is still a chance.

spanky24365

Reaction score
Agreed my 6.4 didn't skip a beat being flogged again and again

spanky24365

Reaction score
You know I think the biggest frustration in all of this is Noone said from the beginin you should think about doing something with your Trans. When the questiom comes up for mods it's tunes deletes and turbos. Noone ever says trannny . Yes I am aware of mechanical limitation but there should be a little more openness on what these trucks CAN and can not handle.

jbair14

Reaction score
If you don't know Morgan there is still a chance.

I guess I don't understand your comment, I'm running KEM tunes and I've talked to Morgan about the way it shifts. He noted it is what it is, it's not bullet proof which I understand. Like I said just hoping to hold comparable power to a deleted 6.4. I really like my 6.7 but I sure miss the power in a 6.4 and the way it pulled so hard when the TC locked. I was going to do a 64mm but wasn't planning to do a tranny. Now I'm going to just hold out until the '17's come out with a new body style and do a real build then.

Reaction score
Not to add to this. But I've seen a bad company, cough cough confederate cough cough offers a shift kit for these transmissions. I wouldnt recommend that company to anyone. I just wondered if our trans would benefit from a shift kit?

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
I guess I don't understand your comment, I'm running KEM tunes and I've talked to Morgan about the way it shifts. He noted it is what it is, it's not bullet proof which I understand. Like I said just hoping to hold comparable power to a deleted 6.4. I really like my 6.7 but I sure miss the power in a 6.4 and the way it pulled so hard when the TC locked. I was going to do a 64mm but wasn't planning to do a tranny. Now I'm going to just hold out until the '17's come out with a new body style and do a real build then.

I am just joking, notice I didn't say anyone that has purchased product from Morgan...

mandkole

Reaction score
You know I think the biggest frustration in all of this is Noone said from the beginin you should think about doing something with your Trans. When the questiom comes up for mods it's tunes deletes and turbos. Noone ever says trannny . Yes I am aware of mechanical limitation but there should be a little more openness on what these trucks CAN and can not handle.

This is funny and sad... Honestly, would more 'openness' (as if there was a lack of it) have made you stop modding or suddenly put $5K into a built trans? Seriously, how would this have really affected your behavior? The guys working the 6.7 the hardest have been very open about what's been happening.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.