Vanilla Ice buildup thread....

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Matt had the truck in his hands for acouple days...the tuner is plenty capable.

I'm not saying Matt isn't capable so just calm down. Not gonna start a pisding match here. I know Gearhead has great tunes. I'm simply saying that from my experience with several trucks running larger than stock VGT's, there is something, somewhere in the tuning that isn't allowing boost to build under certain conditions. My truck was doing the same thing. We're on the way to getting it figured out though, thanks to Tony.

Before you start assuming that I'm saying Anything negative about Matt and his work, read back and you'll see that I've posted several times about the same issues with my truck and even have spoke with Matt about tuning my truck when I get my new turbo on in a week or two.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
He also has tuning from Josh.. and we've been tuning our 68's for over 2 years.

Refer to my previous thread.

WTF. Matt will be writing tunes for me too, when I get my new turbo shortly. Would I have someone tune my truck that I deemed incapable of tuning right? I'm here to learn from Gare's experience and to share my experiece's with him in the hope that it helps him out a little.

Gearhead

Reaction score
I went up and down with the VGT dc basically in open loop and couldn't get the temps to get any cooler at cruise, I can write a tune to hold 0 to 90% duty cycle all the time. I was quick to blame the batmowheel, but if nothing changed with the wheel swap, then we need to look elsewhere. The truck runs great, but I just don't know why it won't clean up 75% nozzles at only 1.8ms of PW. Something isn't right.

Last edited:

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
I went up and down with the VGT dc basically in open loop and couldn't get the temps to get any cooler at cruise, I can write a tune to hold 0 to 90% duty cycle all the time. I was quick to blame the batmowheel, but if nothing changed with the wheel swap, then we need to look elsewhere. The truck runs great, but I just don't know why it won't clean up 75% nozzles at only 1.8ms of PW. Something isn't right.

Maybe they are larger than 75s?

MINK

Reaction score
I'm not saying Matt isn't capable so just calm down. Not gonna start a pisding match here. I know Gearhead has great tunes. I'm simply saying that from my experience with several trucks running larger than stock VGT's, there is something, somewhere in the tuning that isn't allowing boost to build under certain conditions. My truck was doing the same thing. We're on the way to getting it figured out though, thanks to Tony.

Before you start assuming that I'm saying Anything negative about Matt and his work, read back and you'll see that I've posted several times about the same issues with my truck and even have spoke with Matt about tuning my truck when I get my new turbo on in a week or two.

Your words chase themselves in circles - you tell Gare to switch tuners because his current tunes are the problem yet you agree Matt is a talented tuner and your getting ready to drop your current tunes to go with Matts...weird.

Back to the topic...

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Your words chase themselves in circles - you tell Gare to switch tuners because his current tunes are the problem yet you agree Matt is a talented tuner and your getting ready to drop your current tunes to go with Matts...weird.

Back to the topic...

I never told him to drop his current tuner, try reading a little. I told him to give Tony a call. I have tunes from several different tuners. Apparently you believe you should only run one guys tunes? That's not how I do it, sorry. I'm also not dropping any of my current tuners, just tried something new that worked.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score

OR.. just maybe.. when a 75% nozzle fuels like a 150% nozzle.. and its reading off map instead of a mechanical gauge, it runs nice n toasty, and the boost looks like its not up there.

Lance.. chime in, same turbo, and 190's.. whos truck runs well, thats right, yours..

Not trying to start ****. but there are PLENTY of variables on this table not being acknowledged.

EDIT, Joshs tunes run hot on Garrett's truck too.. and we've done so many 190/180 & 68mm set ups its not funny..

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
For f*cks sake, I meant in the ECM tuning from Ford, something placed there to safeguard against an over boost scenerio. WTF did I do to piss everybody off.

I was just trying to clarify. because from that post it sounded like your blaming the tuning.... just like everyone else apparently I took that as saying matts tunes are the problem

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Guys relax. Dont need tuning wars here. Im not upset with anyone.

I will say I prefer the tune Matt made over the others...but thats probably because he live tuned it for a week. Truly is a pleasure to drive...just think this setup should be making way more power without approaching meltdown.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Garrett,

Send me your injectors and we'll fully FLOW BENCH them and tell you exactly what the injectors flow, and what the nozzles are.. That'd be how I'd take it from here.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.