Vanilla Ice buildup thread....

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I was just trying to clarify. because from that post it sounded like your blaming the tuning.... just like everyone else apparently I took that as saying matts tunes are the problem

Ok, I wasn't clear enough. I meant that there is something built into the ECM not allowing it to make higher boost numbers. My truck (along with several other truck) are running into the same issue with other turbo's. I even started a thread about it a while back. This build isn't the only one running into this problem and I don't believe the turbo is at fault. Maybe the injectors are fueling heavy, if so then the tuning can be adjusted to lower EGT's, but I doubt that will affect max boost psi. Sorry if I wasn't clear that I don't think it's the Gearhead tuning, I think it's something written in from Ford that effects several of us.

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The nozzles are marked 75% from the manufacturer. I would be looking further into te turbo. If the truck had excess fuel it should have more boost...like the 205+ cc injector trucks claiming 660+ numbers with that turbo. Sounds like an internal issue to me, not a too much fuel issue.. You've got a stock 03 turbine (standard powermax issue) matched for a 58/82 compressor, struggling to push a 68/94 monster compressor. Injectors also
Balance tested fine...

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Im starting to wonder if the nozzles were somehow mislabeled and are actually 150's. Garrett's temps seem similar to mine with 205/150s and a 66 non vgt with chris b's, tony's and eric's tuning, they all run just as hot due to the big nozzle. Did you happen to check the engraving on the nozzles before they went in? Could be mis-engraved too, never know. Only way to truely tell is to get them flowed. Jess' Injectors fuel hard as hell.

For ****s in giggles, have someone write a tune for a 150% nozzle and the 68 vgt and see what happens

I sure hope you get this figured out, its got me puzzled, back to the think tank!

I doubt its turbo related

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The truck runs fine and makes plenty back pressure... But not boost. Why would it not be turbo related.

Last edited:

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Now that is stand up - I'd like to see it happen also.

Kind of what I was thinking, not even our injectors, but our bench never lies..

The nozzles are marked 75% from the manufacturer. I would be looking further into te turbo. If the truck had excess fuel it should have more boost...like the 205+ cc injector trucks claiming 660+ numbers with that turbo. Sounds like an internal issue to me, not a too much fuel issue.. You've got a stock 03 turbine (standard powermax issue) matched for a 58/82 compressor, struggling to push a 68/94 monster compressor. Injectors also
Balance tested fine...

I'm not taking shots homie, but what exactly did they flow at what pulsewidth? Manufacturer could have mislabled.

Im not taking shots, I'm trying to help a friend figure out why his truck isnt right.

68's make good power, they've done it multiple times with multiple injector combinations. The turbo has been off and been inspected, the injectors havent. On to the next piece of the puzzle. I dont give a **** who'se product is at fault, I just want Garrett happy..

smokinstroker

Reaction score
not screwing with your thread, but greg brought up temps.

my 05 with 3 different large vgts and 205/100% always ran between 950-1100 on the highway, loaded or unloaded.

i know ive talked to you about it before but psi on a mechanical gauge always showed 38-45 on a good run.

really hope you get this figure out soon, let me know if theres anything i can do buddy.

Last edited:

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I'm not taking shots either J, I know the turbo performs on several other satisfied customers trucks, with even larger injectors-- I'm also just trying to help also resolve an issue, it seems like something is keeping the shaft from reaching rpm.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
Im starting to wonder if the nozzles were somehow mislabeled and are actually 150's.

Just so I'm on the record.....I said that about a month ago haha :joy:

Jared...I've chimed in several times. I think Garrett/Matt are using my truck for baseline comparison for boost/temps/duty cycle.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Garrett,

Send me your injectors and we'll fully FLOW BENCH them and tell you exactly what the injectors flow, and what the nozzles are.. That'd be how I'd take it from here.

I think having them benched and compared would at least rule them out since changing turbo wheels did not improve the situation. If they match the benchmark for a 75% tipped injector then they can be ruled out - but I would tend to think with the shorter PW that Matt posted up that they fuel quite a bit harder than expected.

Normally I would just say drop the ICP some and extend out the PW to fit the required injection window a bit better than the really short PW - but I'm still fuzzy as to how the whole 6.0 ECM/FICM thing works and interprets what needs to happen so I'll leave that to the guys that understand that system better - even if that means it needs a "lower flowing" injector.

Wish I could help or had an answer.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
I think having them benched and compared would at least rule them out since changing turbo wheels did not improve the situation. If they match the benchmark for a 75% tipped injector then they can be ruled out - but I would tend to think with the shorter PW that Matt posted up that they fuel quite a bit harder than expected.

Normally I would just say drop the ICP some and extend out the PW to fit the required injection window a bit better than the really short PW - but I'm still fuzzy as to how the whole 6.0 ECM/FICM thing works and interprets what needs to happen so I'll leave that to the guys that understand that system better - even if that means it needs a "lower flowing" injector.

Wish I could help or had an answer.

Yeah.. you cant beat FREE either!

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
I gotta talk to my mechanic.

I **** u not guys. Ol gare bear would be happy with a stock turbo, stock injectors and a hot tune right now. LOL

golfer

Reaction score
just messing Gare~ that's a beautiful truck...and it'll get sorted.

Matt~ how short have you gone with the PW? I'm daily driving 400s in my (7.3) and while I let Jon handle all the high power tuning...I've been tuning my trucks for a year to clean up driveability...

not that this is apples to apples...but geeze...daily driving would probably be in the less than 5-10psi boost range...so pulling PW and adding some timing should clean those up...assuming the nozzles aren't mislabeled...(unlikely since they are shot in large batches), and even if they are...

assuming the spool valves aren't mechanically sticking causing a mechanical 'retard' of timing...not sure if the injector builder built from Ford injs with new spools?

the turbo would be the last thing that would cause hazing at light load situations...in my opinion.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Dave,
The hazing at part throttle is gone, truck is clean as a whistle. It's just wierd that the truck isn't cleaning up at nearly 4000 psi of ICP and sub 2ms of pulsewidth at WOT.

Latest posts

Members online