Vanilla Ice buildup thread....

golfer

Reaction score
Yep.... and by the way the needle is bouncing, something doesn't look right..... The VGT duty cycle is locked once the EBP sensor maxes out so that needle chaos is something not combusting right.

oh, LOL...

no way was I reading 50+ pages...but when I saw a 'hazing' problem...had to assume it was at somewhere OTHER than WOT...

any videos are tough to hear...but in your opinion (Matt) is the damn thing hitting on 8 cylinders?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I was going to say do a contribution test, but I would think you would hear it missing.

That gauge flutter could be from using 1/8 line, mine will flutter a little bit when pushing 35+ psi.

Gearhead

Reaction score
I was going to say do a contribution test, but I would think you would hear it missing.

That gauge flutter could be from using 1/8 line, mine will flutter a little bit when pushing 35+ psi.

It's acting like an imbalance at wot.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I think it would be in Garret's best interest to take Jared up on his offer and have RCD bench those injectors. Something is not playing well

G Racing

Reaction score
b6cbf9da.jpg

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
Fwiw mine would always flutter above 30ish at wot with 155s, I don't seem to notice it as much now, but it's a completely different setup. I always thought it was just a 6 liter thing...
I hope you get it figured out soon!

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
How about throw a different turbo on and see what it does...I'll send you one to try for free, since it balance tests out, runs smooth and throttles up without a miss, and makes good bp, but not boost...ill bet the feather in my yankee doodle hat temps go away and boost comes up....

Last edited:

Gearhead

Reaction score
I am looking into something else this morning. To me the fluttering needle means one of two things:
1. Inefficient Combustion
2. Turbo out of compressor flow

I'm leaning toward 1 at this point. I want to make sure the FICM is allowing the timing I am commanding. If it is holding the timing back to say 11 degrees or so, this could be the issue if these nozzles are big enough to need more than that for a lead because of lack of atomization.

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
just got a picture from jason of some nice internal scarring on the thrust collar and bearing... someone might owe me a feather :toast:

Dave

Reaction score
I am looking into something else this morning. To me the fluttering needle means one of two things:
1. Inefficient Combustion
2. Turbo out of compressor flow

I'm leaning toward 1 at this point. I want to make sure the FICM is allowing the timing I am commanding. If it is holding the timing back to say 11 degrees or so, this could be the issue if these nozzles are big enough to need more than that for a lead because of lack of atomization.

Which flash is in the FICM?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
i had no flutter when i used a 1/4 inch line in my boost gauge, the second i switched gauges and used 1/8 line it flutters. My backpresure gauge doesnt even register unless it reaches 15 psi and flutters (using 1/8 line) I switched to 1/4 and its just fine.

Im curious to what calibration G has in his ficm. All I know is My truck runs a lot cleaner with my ARZ2AL11 than PHP's economy flash, in which it just hazes all the time.

Apples to Coconuts though

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
what ficm tunes are being used on this beast?

from my experience vgt boost being read from a mech gauge,is almost never smooth,due to the vgt.

all the truck in question,are anywhere from stock injector,hot tuned,to 225s custom tuned. any that still had vgt,the boost always flutters a bit.all the trucks i have done,have been tuned by matt.

he has been tuning customers trucks for me,for years!!!

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
always had the best luck with innovative tunes on the vgts. Eric knows his chit.

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
Is this a newer FICM or has it been repaired ever or just the stocker that came on the truck? I've seen them do some really funky things, even if they read a consistent 48+V. I have some on my bench that read perfect voltage, but the truck will barely carry an idle. Most likely not an issue here, but it never hurts to check especially if you can get another one to swap with just to rule it out.

Latest posts

Members online