Wastegate setup and up-pipes

JDub

Reaction score
Looks like we did put a couple of zip ties around my fuel lines, but you can see there is quite a bit of clearance around that dump pipe. Have over 5,000 miles on the truck with that gate on it, no problems so far...

6_4gate_0031.jpg

6_4gate_0041.jpg

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Any reason you couldn't extend the pipe a little more?

I could extend the pipe. But I'm not that concerned on covering the frame in soot. It had a leaking up pipe and crossover tube for a month now. It's pretty dirty. LOL

And Jacob after I ziptied mine it looks more like your pic. It is closer but it's not bad anymore. You guys plan on making any kind of instructions with that kit? I'm way past that point but it would help others since there were a few things I was unaware of.

JDub

Reaction score
You guys plan on making any kind of instructions with that kit? I'm way past that point but it would help others since there were a few things I was unaware of.

Yes we are, right in the process actually. Going to be doing full picture instructions for the complete EGR Removal/Gate Installation

91turbogsx

Reaction score
All installed. And going good. Just having some issues with wastegate tuning. I'm only hitting about 35 psi of boost with the gate opening around 60 psi BP. Should I keep cranking up the regulator? And is a 2:1 ratio normal with a gate?

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
You should be able to get pretty close to 1:1 with a gate. I forget which tuner the truck has, but if it is a Spartan tuner (DashDAQ) the back pressure number is actual pressure + barometric pressure. So 60 psi would actually be in the mid 40's.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
That's what I thought. Was curious on the number whether it was absolute or not. That actually helps immensely. Thanks.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Ideal would be 45-48 on boost, and low to mid 50's of drive pressure. Not quite 1:1, but it's good ratio to make power. 1:1 would be ideal for daily driving and towing I would guess.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
48-50 psi was about what I was seeing before I installed the gate and had up pipe issues. Unsure on the BP... :doh:

I'll get this gate tuned and see if I can pull off a 12.9 (best of 13.09) in this heavy CCLB... :D

:edit Thanks Jeff for the quick response.

Last edited:

JDub

Reaction score
On my truck, the sweet spot seems to be right around 38-psi boost pressure. Thats where the EGT's seem to be the best on a long pull. Obviously different tuning, elevation, etc... will all have an effect on each specific application.

Latest posts

Members online