Wastegate setup and up-pipes

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Scratch the install today. I had an exhaust leak 2 days after installing the new up pipe but I just figured a gasket blew out or something was loose. Turns out I blew the new up pipe as well. :doh: The wastegate would just be more stuff in my way so I'm just gonna hold off.

My local dealer is gonna give me a replacement under a parts warranty so at least that's a plus.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Thats a bummer did the uppipe feel bound up or anything when you started the bolts? Kinda weird that two of them did the same thing, but maybe ford has a problem?

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
The big issue is these trucks have very high drive pressure, it's almost a perfect 2:1 ratio. So if your getting on it hard and then let off all the sudden the drive pressure spikes, then with the high temps of the exhaust gasses softening the bellows and hot spots (90* bends) it balloons them and the burst or crack. There just not sturdy enough for the hot tunes and high drive pressures.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Thats a bummer did the uppipe feel bound up or anything when you started the bolts? Kinda weird that two of them did the same thing, but maybe ford has a problem?

Didn't feel bound up at all. Went right in. Funny thing is the new one blew out way worse than the original. If it happens again I'll just do the 6.0 manifolds and up pipes if that's supposed to be a fix.

Hopefully the wastegate alleviates the problem. Even though I wasn't seeing ridiculous drive pressures to begin with.

Off topic question...is there a way to just datalog peak numbers or something that gives me actual numerical values on the DashDAQ? I'd like to datalog my 1/4 mile runs but in the amount of time ive played with it I just get a graph.

Danbonzo

Reaction score
I had an up pipe bellow blow out also. Went with oem again as the replacement. I see 65 psi EP (absolute) average and 70psi peak with my gate. I'm hoping this is enough to relieve the drive pressure as not to tax the stock bellows so much. Some oem stuff just really sucks, and some stuff is great. Has anyone done the 6.0 swap successfully? I heard Arron had gone that route but ran into some problems, exactly what I don't know, but on the same token, he's pushing maddddd hp now. I would also go the 6.0 route if I knew first hand it works well.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
There are quite a few trucks running 6.0 manifolds with modded uppipes, but if the bellows are the part that is failing then i think what i would do is just take the stock uppipe out, and buy a good high quality bellow and weld it in place of the stocker.

I think rudy was having problems with the 6.0 stuff right where the uppipe meets the manifold on the ball and cup. So if i heard right they put vbands down there, and then the pipes were actually expanding and breaking up farther, so his set up is a little extreme as far as back pressure goes.

I have had good luck but my back pressure has never been high with the set up

hallers has good luck on a customers truck with the manifolds, and high back pressure, no nitrous tho

Danbonzo

Reaction score
There are quite a few trucks running 6.0 manifolds with modded uppipes, but if the bellows are the part that is failing then i think what i would do is just take the stock uppipe out, and buy a good high quality bellow and weld it in place of the stocker.

I think rudy was having problems with the 6.0 stuff right where the uppipe meets the manifold on the ball and cup. So if i heard right they put vbands down there, and then the pipes were actually expanding and breaking up farther, so his set up is a little extreme as far as back pressure goes.

I have had good luck but my back pressure has never been high with the set up

hallers has good luck on a customers truck with the manifolds, and high back pressure, no nitrous tho

Do the 6.0 manifolds and up pipes have more [or better i should say] flow? I think I remember reading that once. I never owned a 6.0 so I have no clue:shrug:

jdgleason

Reaction score
Do the 6.0 manifolds and up pipes have more [or better i should say] flow? I think I remember reading that once. I never owned a 6.0 so I have no clue:shrug:

If you look at them side by side... the 6.0 manifolds are quite a bit larger. Makes sense that they would flow more.

BFT

Reaction score
probably not noticeable at the seat of the pants but they help. the turn up on the exhaust manifold is cast which helps the guys that are running the throttle on a bottle. its a good upgrade for future mods.

Danbonzo

Reaction score
probably not noticeable at the seat of the pants but they help. the turn up on the exhaust manifold is cast which helps the guys that are running the throttle on a bottle. its a good upgrade for future mods.

I hear you. My whole build has always been about the total package. It seems to me like its always the next modification that I make that makes the previous one come alive. I love the 6.4 platform because there's so much room to grow if you want.

Dzchey21

Reaction score

they are bigger, i dont know if its worth the upgrade or not simply because the flow might not benifit any more power, but like stated they seam to hold up better. A good set of thick uppipes would solve alot of problems i think but they seam to be the simplest and most benifit for the time/money spent because you install them and then dont worry, and they have plenty of room to grow

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Here's an update. Turns out the new up pipe is still good. Just so happened the EGR pipe cracked at the bracket. The up pipe replacement is a cakewalk cab on compared to getting that pipe out. Had to remove the exhaust manifold and lift half the cab a few inches.

e7aa109c.jpg

Danbonzo

Reaction score
Here's an update. Turns out the new up pipe is still good. Just so happened the EGR pipe cracked at the bracket. The up pipe replacement is a cakewalk cab on compared to getting that pipe out. Had to remove the exhaust manifold and lift half the cab a few inches.

e7aa109c.jpg

Anything EGR on these trucks just plain SUK. I was beyond pleased when I finally lost mine. Can you weld yours up?

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I got a new one. Not cheap. Was unaware they had a cat in it. :doh: If I could afford the down time I'd do away with it.

:edit If I welded it up it would most likely crack again. Hard to see in the pic but it was almost broken in 2.

Danbonzo

Reaction score
I got a new one. Not cheap. Was unaware they had a cat in it. :doh: If I could afford the down time I'd do away with it.

:edit If I welded it up it would most likely crack again. Hard to see in the pic but it was almost broken in 2.

That's why I asked you don't want to go thru that bs removal again. good call.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.