Elite 71mm Review (log information)

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Its funny your doing this. I have been thinking about it for a while now. Along with some more fuel. Are you staying stock fuel?

Yeah, stock fuel until I can afford to add the 62mm VGT, dual fuelers, and big nozzles. That will be the final step.

this is what i have been waiting for.

its been a choice for me, between the 71 and the 76.

the 71 being cheaper, and drop in.

the 76 being larger, and potentially much improved results, though not a drop in.

looking forward to your results jeff.

im goin to assume your goin to have several various datalogs, comparing stock to 71 to 76.

The big things will be comparing track times, dyno numbers, EGT's, and driving characteristics. Because the new setup will be gated and my current setup is not, it will probably be hard to compare boost and back pressure.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
This is going to be a killer set up! How come you're not running the ported rails anymore?

They caused drivability issues. Surging at light throttle input. The truck wouldn't buck, but it would shake as if you were going over small bumps anytime you barely had your foot on the peddle between 40 and 70 MPH. It got old and they didn't really do anything other than make rail pressure way too high at times.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Because he's a vagina LOL

:poke:

I wasn't the only one dealing with the issues and I'm not the only one to pull them. You would understand if you had driven my truck. Stock pump and ported rails don't work together.

Last edited:

BFT

Reaction score
Just messing with youLOL

I had stock pump and ported rails on mine too, just different on the air... Curious to see what you will do since we have (had) the same set up, minus the ported elite manifold and HP turbos. What is your weight?

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Just messing with youLOL

I had stock pump and ported rails on mine too, just different on the air... Curious to see what you will do since we have (had) the same set up, minus the ported elite manifold and HP turbos. What is your weight?

Should be around 7800 lbs. I'm going to weigh it after all the PMF stuff is on.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Jeff. Does the vibration with the rails feel like a tire out of balance when on the throttle lightly. Like getting up to speed on the eway?

gman1

Reaction score
Jeff what are you going to do for the turbo cross over pipe if you are keeping your stock high pressure turbo when you install the 76?

Dustball8504

Reaction score
Personally, I would like to see how far you could go on stock fuel. I'd like to see what adding the 62mm VGT does to this setup as well on stock fuel.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Jeff. Does the vibration with the rails feel like a tire out of balance when on the throttle lightly. Like getting up to speed on the eway?

It wasn't a vibration. It was more of a very slight jerk. If your truck has ever bucked with a big tune because of touchy throttle, I would compare it to that on a very small scale. It was constant at light throttle. With the rails off, it stopped.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Jeff what are you going to do for the turbo cross over pipe if you are keeping your stock high pressure turbo when you install the 76?

I assume that since this is a kit from Elite, it will come with everything needed to make it work properly.

Personally, I would like to see how far you could go on stock fuel. I'd like to see what adding the 62mm VGT does to this setup as well on stock fuel.

Doing the VGT swap is a little more extensive, so I'll be doing it with added fuel. I don't want to pull the cab just to swap a VGT turbo. Mike Dillehay and Mike Settlemire have both ran that setup on stock fuel. Both said it was awesome. I don't see the need for a third person to verify. Lol

Dustball8504

Reaction score
Doing the VGT swap is a little more extensive, so I'll be doing it with added fuel. I don't want to pull the cab just to swap a VGT turbo. Mike Dillehay and Mike Settlemire have both ran that setup on stock fuel. Both said it was awesome. I don't see the need for a third person to verify. Lol

Doing it back to back with the 71mm, 76mm and then adding the VGT on the same truck would give great ideas for track times and such. I remember them liking it a lot and I wasn't aware that you had to pull the cab for that VGT but I understand your point lol.

What nozzles are you going to go with?

gman1

Reaction score
I assume that since this is a kit from Elite, it will come with everything needed to make it work properly.

I didnt know you were doing the kit. I thought you were only doing the turbo. It will be a fun truck when your done.

Dustball8504

Reaction score
I have a question on EGT with the 71mm, yours and JDs trucks are completely different on the WOT EGT. Is it the difference of removing the EGR system and adding No Limit stuff and you also having a downpipe? Just also trying to gauge why yours runs so much cooler than mine also because mine is comparable to his and him and I have the same setup just different brands of turbo lol

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Doing it back to back with the 71mm, 76mm and then adding the VGT on the same truck would give great ideas for track times and such. I remember them liking it a lot and I wasn't aware that you had to pull the cab for that VGT but I understand your point lol.

What nozzles are you going to go with?

Pretty sure they both have track times with their setups. I think both trucks went 12.2-12.3.

I'll do either 85's or 110's for nozzles. Leaning toward 85's. I don't want to go too crazy with it. I'd like 750 on fuel. Whatever it takes for that.

Dustball8504

Reaction score
Pretty sure they both have track times with their setups. I think both trucks went 12.2-12.3.

I'll do either 85's or 110's for nozzles. Leaning toward 85's. I don't want to go too crazy with it. I'd like 750 on fuel. Whatever it takes for that.

You and I have the same end goal in mind. 750 would please me just fine but I still need to tow with it, that's the only drawback of nozzle decision.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I didnt know you were doing the kit. I thought you were only doing the turbo. It will be a fun truck when your done.

Yes sir! Not quite as fun as your truck though!

I have a question on EGT with the 71mm, yours and JDs trucks are completely different on the WOT EGT. Is it the difference of removing the EGR system and adding No Limit stuff and you also having a downpipe? Just also trying to gauge why yours runs so much cooler than mine also because mine is comparable to his and him and I have the same setup just different brands of turbo lol

Outside temps were much cooler and that probably helped a lot. It was January. I've seen in the 1500's with our 300 tune and 58 psi of boost. That was over the weekend letting eat on an interstate on ramp. That boost number leads me to believe a wastegate probably wouldn't be such a bad idea with this setup. I wasn't monitoring back pressure at the time.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
When I was at rudy's event. I was not getting my high egt warning and I believe is was set to 1350. I was staying on the throttle a little ways past the lights watching the egt drop after about 80mph. I feel like the intercooler was really helping. I don't remember what the temp was, but I remember it being damn hot and having a fairly good sun burn lol.

jdgleason

Reaction score

It's tough to call that apples to apples... I'm 5500 feet higher than Jeff is, and I'm running different tuning.

Latest posts

Members online