Gfulton's Build

MorganY

Reaction score
The rad hose that comes out of the side of the rad towards the bottom on the passenger side. Where did you reroute that too? I see you just dead end the one end coming off of the coolant tank.

Look in the picture where the pipe is polished. It reroutes to the secondary radiator thermostat. The cap was temporary.

Do it,you won't regret it.....

Thanks, we're glad you're happy with it.

Are you sticking to that time line? The 2500mile trip from canada would be fun haha.

What kind of coin is invested into that truck performance wise, $10K?

Yes. The factory turbo comes out quick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Jesse_01

Reaction score
Look in the picture where the pipe is polished. It reroutes to the secondary radiator thermostat. The cap was temporary.

Thanks, we're glad you're happy with it.

Yes. The factory turbo comes out quick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yes I see now.
I may pull off the plastic intake when the weather gets nice to take a look around. Kind of get my feet wet a little before I decide to tear the turbo out.

What are your thoughts on the wicked wheel for the factory turbo?

Super08Duty

Reaction score
Yes I see now.

I may pull off the plastic intake when the weather gets nice to take a look around. Kind of get my feet wet a little before I decide to tear the turbo out.

What are your thoughts on the wicked wheel for the factory turbo?

I wouldn't run one personally. Factory turbos are already susceptible to premature failure with tuning. Billet wheel would just speed them up even more. Better off changing turbos or leaving it the way it was designed by a team of high paid engineers.

RedRice589

Reaction score
I wouldn't run one personally. Factory turbos are already susceptible to premature failure with tuning. Billet wheel would just speed them up even more. Better off changing turbos or leaving it the way it was designed by a team of high paid engineers.

How you know they high paid?!?!? :poke:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
i dont totally agree with that colton, in theory depending on design they might be able to actually slow down shaft speed with a wheel, only way to know tho is to see a flow sheet

Super08Duty

Reaction score
i dont totally agree with that colton, in theory depending on design they might be able to actually slow down shaft speed with a wheel, only way to know tho is to see a flow sheet

That's just how I see it. A lighter wheel could speed the charger up depending on design as you stated. I don't know this for a fact obviously. I'm also not a fan of throwing on a different wheel and running it without a balance done on the assembly. But again, just opinions here. If they increase hp, and remain as reliable as a factory turbo can be...then sure, go for it.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
no i agree with you on the rest of the points, running an unbalanced assembly on a charger that is already running way over what is considered normal shaft speed isnt good.

Lighter wheels dont really change speed, they just are more resistant to exploding the wheel at high rpm. Centrifugal force is exponential on turbo wheels by weight, billet is also more resistant to bursting a wheel because they contain less imperfections and stress risers that start the break.

Wheel design can speed up or slow down the wheel by basically grabbing more air or less air at different rpms. In theory a better flowing wheel should slow the shaft speed down some, how much... i dunno

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
no i agree with you on the rest of the points, running an unbalanced assembly on a charger that is already running way over what is considered normal shaft speed isnt good.

Lighter wheels dont really change speed, they just are more resistant to exploding the wheel at high rpm. Centrifugal force is exponential on turbo wheels by weight, billet is also more resistant to bursting a wheel because they contain less imperfections and stress risers that start the break.

Wheel design can speed up or slow down the wheel by basically grabbing more air or less air at different rpms. In theory a better flowing wheel should slow the shaft speed down some, how much... i dunno

i honestly figured a lighter wheel could speed up shaft speed, unless its capable of moving more air, which would increase resistance, therefore slowing it down. who's the engineer now ?? LOL

Super08Duty

Reaction score

Good points, didn't think of it that way.

MorganY

Reaction score

Shaft speed slows down, but when it slows down the added volume trying to be compressed in the same area is going to make more pressure inside the housing than before which is providing a torque in the opposite direction of rotation... That will increase the normal force around the shaft potentially causing more bearing wear and shear stress than the bearing and shaft assembly were meant to handle...on top of the assembly not being balanced from the aftermarket wheel.

In summary the way I see it. May be wrong, may be right, just the way I see it with what I've learned thus far.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Shaft speed slows down, but when it slows down the added volume trying to be compressed in the same area is going to make more pressure inside the housing than before which is providing a torque in the opposite direction of rotation... That will increase the normal force around the shaft potentially causing more bearing wear and shear stress than the bearing and shaft assembly were meant to handle...on top of the assembly not being balanced from the aftermarket wheel.

In summary the way I see it. May be wrong, may be right, just the way I see it with what I've learned thus far.

without a doubt. if the wheel moves more air, the shaft is just that much more stressed.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Slower turbine speed with everything else being equal will cause more restriction on the exhaust side as well...

gfulton

Reaction score
Thought I would give a little update. Truck is running great (about 1000 miles since kit) shifts are firm and the power comes on very smooth starting down low.

We will dyno this next weekend in Ennis and post results afterward.......Gary

SAK

Reaction score
Thought I would give a little update. Truck is running great (about 1000 miles since kit) shifts are firm and the power comes on very smooth starting down low.

You mean Spring Branch?

gfulton

Reaction score
The following weekend I help a buddy fry fish on Sat. and Sun. morning is clean up.
Will be home around noon so maybe we can drink a beer or two. Bring a pistol or two and we'll go to the the river and shoot...

SAK

Reaction score
The following weekend I help a buddy fry fish on Sat. and Sun. morning is clean up.
Will be home around noon so maybe we can drink a beer or two. Bring a pistol or two and we'll go to the the river and shoot...

I'll let you know when I'm headed up there.

Randy_270

Reaction score

Hows the spool compared to stock?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.