Motor Rebuild Help

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
strip the pan, and bed-liner it. might hold a tad more heat in, but it wont come off....

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
$50. It was just one layer of coating, enough to cover the paint. its not as thick as the several coatings put on the bed

juniort444e

Reaction score
Cryo'd stock forged rods VS. Carillos or Crowers

I need some solid info here. I want to save the money and get the stock forged but not sure if they will live with the higher tunes that i plan on having. My goal is around 700hp give or take some. What should i go with. Need some opinions.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Might as well go with one of the two sets of rods while your in there for piece of mind and somewhat of an insurance towards a longer service life of the engine then you may have running stock forged rods. Can't say which though as I have no experience personally running either carillos or crowers.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Dont build an engine at all if you're going to leave stock rods in it. IMO its a waste of time and money to do a whole bunch of machine work and keep stock connecting rods at that HP level. If you plan on keeping stock rods, just throw in a good stock forged rod engine with studs and springs. and run it. Keep the engine build going slowly as you get extra money.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Thats what i was thinking. But my motor is running fine now, its the pmr's thats holding the tuning back sooo freakin bad and causing it to run hot, smokey and ineffiecent.

Im talking to someone right now on some billet rods. Trying to figure out if they are worth it or not. Kind of excited but we will see. If those fall through i gues i should be saving up for the carillos.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Thats what i was thinking. But my motor is running fine now, its the pmr's thats holding the tuning back sooo freakin bad and causing it to run hot, smokey and ineffiecent..

The rods are not holding your tuning back man, your tuning and turbo are the cause of those symptoms. Just because you have PMR's and can not use all the fuel those injectors have, does no mean your truck cannot run properly with those injectors. You also have a very large charger.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
:whs: the rods could be holding you back from using your charger, but I'd say the tuning is why the truck runs warm and smokey.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Well, from what i was told, and bare with me because some of this might be bass ackwards, but the timing is pulled way back trying to keep the cylinder pressures low, but still trying to spool a bigger turbo without over fueling it. If the fuel doesnt completely burn in one cycle and decides to ignite on the next then boom boom pow.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Well, from what i was told, and bare with me because some of this might be bass ackwards, but the timing is pulled way back trying to keep the cylinder pressures low, but still trying to spool a bigger turbo without over fueling it. If the fuel doesnt completely burn in one cycle and decides to ignite on the next then boom boom pow.

Sounds scary all the way around.

juniort444e

Reaction score
It is, and sometimes i kind of like it that way. But in the end that is the main reason i am building another motor. And started this just for that build, and to help answer my questions.

Latest posts

Members online