Motor Rebuild Help

juniort444e

Reaction score
Is there a huge difference between a 1995 motor and say a newer superduty motor. I may be picking one up very soon, long block that is for a great price. Just need to know what the major differences are if any. I will be swapping over all of my stuff and getting better tunes since its a forged rod motor. Not up to date on the older motors tho so any help is welcomed.

MINK

Reaction score
Is there a huge difference between a 1995 motor and say a newer superduty motor. I may be picking one up very soon, long block that is for a great price. Just need to know what the major differences are if any. I will be swapping over all of my stuff and getting better tunes since its a forged rod motor. Not up to date on the older motors tho so any help is welcomed.

hpop,up-pipes, manifolds(?), turbo+pedistal just off the top of my head. You can easly swap your parts over, this is what i did when i replaced my windowed 02 motor with and E99 longblock.

juniort444e

Reaction score
I figured that stuff would be. All of which is being replaced anyway. Manifolds tho, thought they were the same if not ill get a set of brand new ones ceramic coated and slap em on. What about sensors. Are the heads the exact same to.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
the webbing in the heads is different. between the push rods, that is. early stuff did not have it, later stuff did. when you take the valve covers off, you will see it. it does not affect mounting or anything at all, just on one it there one it is not.

and something about the front cover also.

co04cobra

Reaction score
RH manifold is different, front cover, cam has lobe for mechanical fuel pump (shouldnt matter) Hpop resivior. Thats all I can think of right at the minute.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. As of right now im either getting that long block or buying a 99 reg cab for a pretty good deal. What do you guys think.

95 motor minus turbo, injectors and a few sensors with trans and t case for $1000

99 reg cab 7.3 with 270xxx 4x4 in decent shape for $4000

My brain is having a breakdown trying to decide. What do you guys think. Im leaning one way right now pretty heavily but would like some of the members opinions.

TARM

Reaction score
With out seeing them both they could both be very good deals. If the motor tests with over 400 compression and the trans is good that is a freaking amazing deal. If not then it could be anywhere from good to great. It certainly not bad.

The truck deal again you need to do some testing. If the motor and trans are in good shape you have half the asking value right there.

juniort444e

Reaction score
I can test drive both but as far as compression testing i wont be able to do either until they would be considered mine. So just going into this blind and test driving the vehicles and looking over them with a somewhat scrutinizing eye what would you pick over the other.

It sucks because i wish i could get both, but i cant afford both. On one hand i get a great motor to swap in to get my truck back on the road fairly quick, on the other i get another vehicle so i dont have to bum rides when this one is down and i can swap parts back and forth really easy too. :shrug:

V-Ref

Reaction score
Buy the motor.

Pull your motor, hang it on a stand. Build it slowly as you learn, and can snipe a great deal as it comes along. Your injectors/turbo can make a bunch of power with a supporting long block. Take pressure off yourself, and keep it fun.

Buy another truck...you may get distracted in wanting to build that up...stay focused! LOL

Good luck!

juniort444e

Reaction score
My motor is shot. The wall on the side right above the oil pan is punched out. Not really sure how to fix that. So i still have to buy another motor to build. Im picking a short block up today or tomorrow for my final build that will be built right. My Concern tho is i dont have a ride or an extra vehicle to travel an hour to my parents to do thiis stuff. If i got the truck i would have that vehicle, and i thought about making it my mpg queen for daily driving and building my current truck for fun. Or vica versa. I might be able to get the truck for 3800 or 3900. I think thats a great deal. But we will see on how both pan out once i get to test drive each. The other motor, or long block setup that im getting has very high miles on it as well, so im still afraid to throw my stuff on and be worry free.

juniort444e

Reaction score
and v ref i am staying as focused as i can. lmao

I have this money saved up to buy a bts, but now this happens so im just kind of stuck in a hard spot right now.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Buy the motor.

Pull your motor, hang it on a stand. Build it slowly as you learn, and can snipe a great deal as it comes along. Your injectors/turbo can make a bunch of power with a supporting long block. Take pressure off yourself, and keep it fun.

Buy another truck...you may get distracted in wanting to build that up...stay focused! LOL

Good luck!

Basically that's what I'm doing. Got a couple of heaps to drive around in. Just now trying to get something going.

Latest posts

Members online