Motor Rebuild Help

juniort444e

Reaction score
Ok, im stressed between buying this truck or rebuilding a block to go in mine.

I talked to the guy who is selling the truck again and he will let it go for $3800. I have people telling me to get it because its a great deal, others are saying not to, to build my motor. Just a little fyi, i dont have much more then that in the bank so when you give your opinion think about that a little too. I have a list of parts that i would want to go into my truck, but it cost a good bit more then that.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Dp. Not sure how he tuned it, but he detuned it somehow someway because i told him i had pmr's and wanted to try to keep the motor alive.

Throw your new/used motor in there, throw your injectors and turbo on it and CHANGE TUNERS... Drive away.

I had "special" PMR tunes and 30% water/meth tunes from that "special" tuner... Cracked the block up two mains, if it had not spun the bearings it would have throw the rods...

Running a drop in used motor for 40k now with LARGER injectors then I had then, and not one issue with Swamps tuning...

2380902190100112691S600x600Q85.jpg

2755955330100112691S600x600Q85.jpg

CSIPSD

Reaction score
And just to be clear... I am sorry for your motor... Its what made me not give a fluk about these hp wars anymore.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Dp. Not sure how he tuned it, but he detuned it somehow someway because i told him i had pmr's and wanted to try to keep the motor alive.

For some reason I thought you were running Matt's tunes, so I was a bit shocked when you lost the rod. However I was a bit confused about the tuning strategy when you initially told me about it.

juniort444e

Reaction score
I talked to matt a few times not long ago about tuning the current setup. He didnt feel safe tuning it so after talking we both concluded that he wasnt going to tune it until i got forged or a built block. That was fine in my book and very respectable of him. On the other hand i got some tuning from my current tuner, not sure what he did or anything, all i know is it ran very hott and smokey, some what laggier then others said it should have ran. Not a problem as i learned to drive around it.

FOr all that may not know, i bought the injectors and turbo and everything else on false hopes i had forged. I tryed to check while the motor was still in the truck, and my fat head wouldnt fit to well. So i pulled the trigger any way on everything.

While installing everything i had to pull the motor for a number of reasons and only then did i get a clear sight in that tiny little hole and seen pmr's. I knew it would blow sooner or later being that everything i had wasnt ment to keep pmr's happy no matter how anyone tuned it.

No im stuck on either build this motor, with no transportation to travel from school to parents where my truck is at, about an hour ride each way. OR buy this truck and slowly build my truck, OR swap the motor out of the "maybe soon new to me bought truck" into mine with all my stuff on it since it is a 99 with forged and finally get Matt's tuning. Thats my life's problems right now.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Buy that damn truck, use it... and when your done swap all your crap into your current truck and either part out this one your thinking of buying, or get an engine for it! That's what I'd consider anyhow.

Fl Stroker

Reaction score
Buy the truck and get back on the road. Then figure things out on the motor deal. You can always do as you said and swap the motor into your truck just be carfull as it's a trickle effect. Tranny could go next. Save up and do it right the first time.

juniort444e

Reaction score
This is what i have been thinking really hard about.

Sending the short block "im picking up tomorrow" to a 7.3 guru who is going to build it to hold and withstand the beating i will throw at it and handle the power the setup will put out. Then get proper tuning and drive it easy to break it in over a period of time and save up for a bts and be done with building it, unless i go to compounds which would be simple as fabbing pipes and mounting them in, no rebuilding or pulling motor out and what not.

Fl Stroker

Reaction score
The rebuild isn't over night. Not having wheels suck. I was down for months with my build and I had them start the day it went. Luckily I had something else to drive for the time being. Depending on others sucks.

juniort444e

Reaction score
I know, so far this year i havent had a vehicle for roughly 5-6months. So i know, right now i can live without it, i will just be stuck to my apt at school which will lead to some drinking from not being able to go home and hunt or do other things.

I do have a backup plan i might go through with, just have to check some things out first. I will keep everyone posted on what route i decide to go with and what happens.

TARM

Reaction score
I put this in the turbo thread where you postedabout turbine housing but I decided to paste it here where it belongs to keep things organized.

You do not have enough funds for a proper build so itill either take a longer time or you would have to make compromises. My suggestion that should work well for ya. Pick up a long or short block. Have the heads or your current one worked and ported for max flow vel and fire ringed. Fill your block 1/2 way and slap it all together. Pick up a second sb to have as backup and for the eventual full build. Run what you have done while you are collecting al the parts and machining funds you need for the full build. Also if the worst happens and you blow the current block you have one sittting there so you will be down for the shortest period.

The above will also fit with your current funds of $4k. You can find that second sb cheap if you are not pressed to rush to get it. $500 sb and $1000 for a good lb can be found. The first one may cost a bit more as you likely want it sooner rather than later. But you still should be good for getting the rest done on budget. Then you have your heads and fire rings done and can be moved to whatever block.

Anyway that to me is a good way and likely a best comprise to get you what you want/need. Your back up and running asap with a more rigid block and heads that flow much better and will stay put without long cure time. You have a backup sitting as cya and for the full build. You will be able to run that 4202 and 200% to full power. Even compounds if you keep the tq limited with fuel and proper wg. Then you can open it full and crank it all up on the built one. This all allows you to grow and enjoy much of it as you get it until you reach your final goal. That with very little extra waste or redundancy.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Save up your pennies and buil the new engine right the first time.... If you try to get by you will pay double in the long run.... Also you may want to get advise from the guys that have built high HP engines and not just the ones that heard or read about them... You can hear and read but dont mean that is what is there.... no tis is just how I feel but what the hell do I know...

Then why are you posting? You don't know your dik from a thistle weed when it comes to anything powerstroke performance, so take your own advice and get to steppin

Cory S

Reaction score
sounds like you just need to sell your injectors and turbo and run stage 2's with a 38r. obviously you don't have the money to be dropping on a motor build non the less a built transmission which you have to have with your injectors and turbo. no offense to you at all, I'm just saying sit back and look at it from a financial stand point, and see if it is something you can really afford. which sounds like you cant? your talking about compounds and stuff. but i am looking at it from a totally different angle.

Latest posts

Members online