Motor Rebuild Help

juniort444e

Reaction score
Compounds are later down the road, if i even decide to do them at all after building the motor. I might like how the turbo lights after the build and stay with it for awhile.

I made my decision and im sticking with it. I picked up a short block and its in alot better shape then the pictures shown. So i will be ordering parts and building the motor and not buying the other truck. I am trying to find out how much it is going to cost to bore the cyclinders, deck the heads and exhaust manifolds IF needed and port and polish the heads. I can deal without a vehicle right now by stealing my gf's ride every now and then.

My goal is to have the motor fully built and tuned correctly and just drive it in a low tune to keep trans alive and happy until i can save the money for it. During that time the motor will be breaking in and i will perform all of the necassary maintenance.

Tarm thanks for the info like always. I am just going to do the build right this time, even if im down a vehicle for some time. More time to lift and watch tv at school i guess. I dont want to just slap another motor in and do it all over again. Just want the motor built right this time and be done with that. Then i will worry about transmissions later, alot easier to take out and install.

Ray, Josh fnck you both and leave my nuts alone.

Cory thanks for the suggestion and i thought about that before. Problem with that is i really love this setup and am very determined to make it work and have my cake and eat it too. Even if it takes some time without my truck i will live. Plus i get to save money on fuel by not being able to drive it around when im bored. As far as money, yes thats what i have right now, and wil be getting more every month. I get a decent kick back from army for going to this school so that helps out alot too. This will be my build to be proud of and enjoy for a long time. The money that i currently have will help start this build and next semester will help finish it.

Thanks everyone for the advice, greatly appreciated. I will post some pictures of my new block up soon and the old one's carnage too.

My goal 700hp fuel only. I want the motor to live forever and its a daily driver. How much should i be looking at money wise to build this motor. I know alot of people here have built or paid to have their built so some opinions from them would be nice.

juniort444e

Reaction score
I am Jake. Its going to be a few months before i get it completely done. But i would rather have it built the right way the first time and never have to deal with the major parts of it again.

bigjake0524

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea! At least you can save some miles on the truck and put them on your girlfriends car instead! LOL

juniort444e

Reaction score
I was nice and filled it up with the good stuff, and left about a half o tank. Didnt want to hear the b!tch fest if i didnt. She cooks for me too, since im training for the fat olympics i really need some good cooking around.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Not much going on here. Talked to someone few roughly an hour two nights ago and got some expert advice until his phone went haywire.

Im still just kind of laying back and thinking about the best route. But im not skimping on anything with this motor. And ill have enough left in a few months to get that BTS finally.

My plans are...
Firerings
Mahle pistons
Crowers/carillos
Stage 2 cam
Port n polish
girdle/deck plate
and some others im not thinking of right now. The new short block looks awesome so far and very clean (bigbore hope your happy). I am building a little shed thingy at my parents to work on my stuff during the winter so i can get this rolling soon.

I need to buy some tools while im at it. Im asking you guys to help point me in the right direction. What tools do i need for doing this stuff and what brand is worth the money.

I know ill need the ring compressor for the pistons, what else. What type of engine stand is good for our motors and from where. Thanks in advance.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Invest in a 4 wheeled OTC brand stand. somewhere around 100 dollars, and supports a fully assembled 7.3 without sagging at all. I am pretty impressed with mine

juniort444e

Reaction score
Where did you get it from. I was going to run out to summit but wasnt sure if they had one or not. Do they the right bolts to attach it to the stand or do i have to source those out somewhere else.

Started on my shed today, got the floor done. Hopefully get the walls and roof done this week and weekend and start playing around with my motor. ANd if i pick up this long block i will be back on the road again, with better tunes and hopefully running better with better mpg's as well.

Homesteader

Reaction score
juniort444e you could buy one or build an engine stand like I did if you got the time. All materials was scrap that I had.

2ed4702b.jpg

Big Bore

Reaction score
juniort444e you could buy one or build an engine stand like I did if you got the time. All materials was scrap that I had.

2ed4702b.jpg

I'd like to see more pics of that especailly the head where it rotates. I've thought of doing the same thing. It's become more of a priority now that I have a long block sitting in the back of my truck lol.

Reaction score
i definitely like the use of the slack adjuster to rotate the thing haha it does work quite well... thats how my stand spun for the mack carriers i would rebuild at my old job

JDub

Reaction score
My plans are...
Firerings
Mahle pistons
Crowers/carillos
Stage 2 cam
Port n polish
girdle/deck plate

Should make for a solid bottom end. Let us know if we can help you out at all. Usually have most of those parts on the shelf ready to go...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.