The 600hp saga continues

TARM

Reaction score
I would find out what the timing looks like before I jump right back onto it. It may not have been the timing that caused it to pop but now that we are on a second engine why not take the precaution and that is regardless of who the tuner is. IMO who is a moot point. Also its looks from how I have read things that confirming that a rev limit is proper set is in order as well again whether that is / was the cause or not.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
I will find it odd if the tuning or the free rev caused it as my puller has broke a few driveline parts and free rev'd decently high more than once.... Just my 02.

TARM

Reaction score
OK how does your example of the free reving show that the tuning has nothing to do with it? Obviously if his free revd past where there should have been a RPM limit then the tuning right there need to be addressed. Let say it while it did free rev it did not some how go past a good limit on a stock full block like 3700-3800 then what did cause it to blow? One of the very easiest places to look first would be the tuning. Starting with when is the fuel being injected. At least it would allow you to rule it out or look at it down the line as a possible thing needing to be addressed. Sure it just as easily been a weak wrist pin whatever but something caused it to pop and to just simply write off the tuning as not having anything to do with it I would have to disagree with. Its actually something you can easily get answers to as it is unchanged nothing like looking at a engine and figuring out what were the exact series of events in a mechanically initiated failure.

Last edited:

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
OK how does your example of the free reving show that the tuning has nothing to do with it? Obviously if his free revd past where there should have been a RPM limit then the tuning right there need to be addressed. Let say it while it did free rev it did not some how go past a good limit on a stock full block like 3700-3800 then what did cause it to blow? One of the very easiest places to look first would be the tuning. Starting with when is the fuel being injected. At least it would allow you to rule it out or look at it down the line as a possible thing needing to be addressed. Sure it just as easily been a weak wrist pin whatever but something caused it to pop and to just simply write off the tuning as not having anything to do with it I would have to disagree with. Its actually something you can easily get answers to as it is unchanged nothing like looking at a engine and figuring out what were the exact series of events in a mechanically initiated failure.
If you read the whole thread you will see were I have the same tunes on two trucks one has 40+k with the setup and another 10with more fuel and the other has about 20k miles.... :doh:... I'm not saying it's not his tuning I just find it odd if it is being both of my trucks are still running strong....

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I really don't see why anyone is harping about "over-reving" an engine in the first place.

Forged rod engines at 600 are like PMR engines over 400.

I drove a PMR engine like that for 30k + AND saw 4000 RPM's (hard rev limit) more than once. It regularly saw 3800 RPM's on the 1-2 shift. Several trips down the drag strip, and well over 30 WS/2.6ish sled pulls. Engine purred like a kitten when it got pulled.

Some blow, some don't.

Eval the tunes, find a low mile factory assembled forged rod engine, and run it.

Charles

Reaction score
If you read the whole thread you will see were I have the same tunes on two trucks one has 40+k with the setup and another 10with more fuel and the other has about 20k miles.... :doh:... I'm not saying it's not his tuning I just find it odd if it is being both of my trucks are still running strong....

That most likely means that the tuning is pretty good. Hence the advice that was given following an engine failure to simply check your timing, probably pull a few degrees and pretty much go back with what you've got, as it couldn't have been that bad off and lasted that long.

If the rev limiter isn't working well, then get the MFD in check in the upper rpm range so the PCM can stop the engine at your set point. If the minimum MFD is keeping the injectors open, then it will not stop revving, no matter where you set the parameters for the limiter.

TARM

Reaction score

I am not talking about your engine or your tuning I am speaking of Vander's truck his tuning. I really do not understand the validity of the correlation you are trying to make. Are you saying that you two have the same exact tuning and all variables are the same so what you experience should be expected to be what he sees? How many times have we seen engines let go with basically the same tuning that another engine lived fine with? I am missing something I am sure of it. Maybe I did not reading something in the thread and that is why I am not getting it. But IMHO there are just way to many variables to make assumptions that what happens to one truck is likely to happen to another even if the setups are similar. In no way am I questioning your results or outcomes with your truck and its setup.

My whole point was that things dealing with tuning are so simple to check and because they are a program they are a constant that does not change so looking at what the program is now is what it was then. That is not he case when you go digging into things like mechanical failures. It can be causes by a whole cascade or changes or conditions. The thing about the rev limiter was just a thing to fix as it was pointed to being something that should of but did not work. Regardless of it being or not being the culprit something like that should work and if it doesn't its makes sense to make the changes so that it does. Again I am not saying any of this one way or another had or did not have a role in the failure just that its a very
good place to start and review its settings.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am not talking about your engine or your tuning I am speaking of Vander's truck his tuning. I really do not understand the validity of the correlation you are trying to make. Are you saying that you two have the same exact tuning and all variables are the same so what you experience should be expected to be what he sees? How many times have we seen engines let go with basically the same tuning that another engine lived fine with? I am missing something I am sure of it. Maybe I did not reading something in the thread and that is why I am not getting it. But IMHO there are just way to many variables to make assumptions that what happens to one truck is likely to happen to another even if the setups are similar. In no way am I questioning your results or outcomes with your truck and its setup.

My whole point was that things dealing with tuning are so simple to check and because they are a program they are a constant that does not change so looking at what the program is now is what it was then. That is not he case when you go digging into things like mechanical failures. It can be causes by a whole cascade or changes or conditions. The thing about the rev limiter was just a thing to fix as it was pointed to being something that should of but did not work. Regardless of it being or not being the culprit something like that should work and if it doesn't its makes sense to make the changes so that it does. Again I am not saying any of this one way or another had or did not have a role in the failure just that its a very
good place to start and review its settings.

In other words, no two engines are exactly the same. Tuning that is near perfect for one engine may be very close on another engine, but something can be slightly off that can be changed. See this all the time in the gasser world. Gassers and diesels are a totally different ball game, but either way no two engines are exactly the same and two engines with similar setups can almost always be tuned slightly different.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
I think y'all are taking my blown engine too personally. LOL It could have been a combination of things. I mean look at it like this. All of us pushing a stock bottom end to this power level are playing with fire. I welcomed it with open arms. Read my original build thread and I openly accepted the challenge of keeping it alive. In fact I pretty much turned it into a game of seeing how quickly I could blow it! LOLLOLLOL I still haven't had the time to pull it and look it over yet. When i do it'll answer a lot of questions. I'm not a tuning guru. I couldn't care less about the slightest aspect of tuning. I trust cale with it. I told him I don't care how he does the tuning, because he knows what's best. I still take that approach. He tuned it so the best person to talk to is Cale. I'll text him and see what he can add to this. If this is a learning experience for him, then good! I am more than happy to take a hit for the advancements of stock block tuning. If it was something else, then good for that too. That means he did his job very well. We won't know any of that though until its opened up and inspected. If its a rod I'll see if cale WANTS to change anything and if not I'll just not beat on it quite as hard. If its a wrist pin then I'll chalk it up to a manufacturing defect or something. If its the piston then maybe I'll try to keep from pegging out my egt gauge quite so often. Haha!! Hell I'm still thinking its a faulty water Meth nozzle dribbling into the intake! I just need to get it apart, do some checking, and find out. I'm still gonna fix it. I'm still gonna run a stock block. And I'm still loving life. I love the interest y'all are taking in it and I really do appreciate the comments and suggestions. It keeps giving me ideas and new approaches to the truck. I'll update you guys when i finally get er apart.

TARM

Reaction score
I am not taking it the least bit personal. LOL Not my money, time, or truck engine. In fact the only things I mentioned were the things you just stated you plan to do.

I am not so sure just turning a completely blind eye to tuning, when you consider just how critical it is to these engines, is the best course of action. But hey everyone is different and the fact we can each do and choose how we want to work things is what makes it interesting. I for example can not stand to not know how something works when it comes into my scope.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
I'm not turning a blind eye to it. I just have faith Cale will make the appropriate changes if there needs to be any when i find out exactly what happened. Trust me. We've been in close contact about it. Now I understand your view on tuning and I very much respect that. To me its the same yet opposite. I recognize how incredibly important tuning is so for that reason I'm not going to even attempt to understand it and make suggestion to a professional. He's got my back. I feel the same way about Matt's tunes in the excursion.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
Tarm I understand no two engines are the same... I was just stating that he is running the tune that cale made for my truck.Im not saying the tune doesn't need to be looked at I'm just saying...

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
Tarm I understand no two engines are the same... I was just stating that he is running the tune that cale made for my truck.Im not saying the tune doesn't need to be looked at I'm just saying...

I understand and I hope you were not taking it as I was trying to be a @$#@@# toward you. Just talking and debating is all.

I did not know you both had the same tunes. Like I said there was likely something I had not read. That makes a bit more sense. No matter I think everything is gonna work out just fine. If not then we will have plenty to talk about at Vander's expense LOL

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
I understand were your coming from tarm.... Vander did you get out ran by a Cummings? And your bottom end got mad and said f u?

TARM

Reaction score
At least if you do get beat by a cummin you can figure it was pushing at least a 100HP more to do it.

Latest posts

Members online