The 600hp saga continues

Charles

Reaction score
For comparison, Brian J's old stock motor finally bit it recently. That was after literally years of passes in and above this power range, as well as some time spent over 700hp on fuel with boost spikes as high as mid 90's...

That's when you know you had the timing as best it could be. The rods slowly laid over, the truck started smoking on him as they got shorter, but continued to make pass after pass until one finally popped out to say hello.

IIRC he actually dynoed over 700rwhp on that stock motor, on fuel.

Big Bore

Reaction score
For comparison, Brian J's old stock motor finally bit it recently. That was after literally years of passes in and above this power range, as well as some time spent over 700hp on fuel with boost spikes as high as mid 90's...

That's when you know you had the timing as best it could be. The rods slowly laid over, the truck started smoking on him as they got shorter, but continued to make pass after pass until one finally popped out to say hello.

IIRC he actually dynoed over 700rwhp on that stock motor, on fuel.

That right there is an indictment against a lot of things many of us believe we need done to our motors to achieve that level of HP and against a lot of tuning. It's interesting to speculate how long that motor might have lasted with a set of billet rods.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Hahahaha!! Truth is I was going around a Cummins doing like 20mph and I was holding a steady 30mphish! LOL

Nobody doubts that.

Why do they inspect bridges after earthquakes?

If the bridge stood through the quake, then it oughta be fine right?

No way it's gonna collapse from people driving over it normally after it handled that, right?

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
This just sucks. Here I am setting at work doing nothing but setting on my arse, when I could be at home getting the heads put back on a Guy's duraturd so I can get my truck in the shop! Funny how life works. Go to work to make money and the whole time wishing I could be working on something! LOL

Milford

Reaction score
I like to think my pmr motor is stronger then most but it may be because of one little thing that I will never know. 400+ on stage IIs and it hydro locked at about 70mph and its still kicking with 250k miles on it. Stupid injector bolt snapped, i figured the motor was toasted. That was with DI tunes and i had a few degrees of timing pulled so my rods would not come out and get all angry. Didnt bend a thing when it when that happened.

Milford

Reaction score
I was talking more along the lines of push rods bending. PMRs turn to dust and like to desstroy everything inside an engine then it peaks its head out and says hi everybody!

TARM

Reaction score
So your motor @ 70 literally locked up dead stop or was it still turning over?

Were you in OD or was this a WOT run in 3rd?

Milford

Reaction score
Had my cuise control set. Tires didnt lock up but i guess it was the trans that kept that from happeniNG. Once i the shuttering started i popped it into nuetral and let it coast to the shoulder. Tried to turn it over and nothing, locked up. The next day after getting it back home i tried to turn it with a breaker bar on the crank pulley and it would go like an inch both ways but nothing else. I was so shocked when my block didnt have a hole and i still had all my oil. Being it was about -10 degrees out i could not smell any diesel in the oilig, it all smelled the same.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
OOCh so you really did hydro lock it. Only reason I asked is I have heard the term used incorrectly before. Its a good thing you cut it off right away. Lucky you did n't keep trying to start it. Still I am with you I would have figured I would have damage if that had happened like that. At least some bent valves something.

Milford

Reaction score
Thats exactly what i thought. Oh no i know the proper terminology of it
That cylinder was filled with fuel and the oil pan also. Should have said screw it and rebuilt the thing then but i was a broke a$$ marine at the time lol. Still not sure how nothing happened but she is still kicking.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
When i tore my PMR engine apart (what was left of it) i found at least one PMR rod that was visually bent but hadn't snapped yet.

TARM

Reaction score
Wow I have only seen them in pieces before. Usually at the wrist pin area. Do you by chance have a pic of that?

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
I'm sure the two that went right before it looked like that and only got to spin a couple (hundred) times before they looked like

TARM

Reaction score
Oh Damn that is ugly. That is the kind of damage that makes me sick but at the same time I love blowing crap up and things that go boom. LOL True carnage there.

What were you pushing power wise and what was your setup at the time?

Latest posts

Members online