webb06 official build thread

webb06

Reaction score
under drivers side valve cover

IMG_1944_zpsb5c3e947.jpg

at first i thought this one was leaking but this is where the water was pooling up from the stud that was leaking right above

IMG_1945_zpse38eb148.jpg

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
dude that is so ***ked. this cracked block phenomonen is insane, craziest part is the low torque value you just used.

i wonder if the stock bolts have a part in this, as they are torqued so tight.

webb06

Reaction score
dude that is so ***ked. this cracked block phenomonen is insane, craziest part is the low torque value you just used.

i wonder if the stock bolts have a part in this, as they are torqued so tight.

whats the final torque value on the stock bolts?

White_monster

Reaction score
A bolt will never put as much clamping force or load down vs a stud being torqued to the same spec. A bolt has to overcome way more friction, torsional loses and such.

As far as blocks cracking, there has to be a casting number relation.

tensixniner

Reaction score
Weren't all the 6.4L blocks cast at the same Indianapolis foundary? .. Which has since been closed?

webb06

Reaction score
Weren't all the 6.4L blocks cast at the same Indianapolis foundary? .. Which has since been closed?

They are still making new blocks as far as I'm aware. I know mine came from Detroit. Unless its new old stock they have. Which I doubt

3brorce

Reaction score
Ya, you had a new block this last time which had never had the tty torqued down on so I think that can be ruled out I think.

madman1234509

Reaction score
I hope its a manufacturing flaw. If this was a problem 2 years ago it would have been acknowledged and a known common issue with these trucks that would have steered people away from them. Something has changed. What about lube? Could the lube for these studs have any role in this? Arp changed their lube within the last year or so, which in turn changed torque specs.

tensixniner

Reaction score
They are still making new blocks as far as I'm aware. I know mine came from Detroit. Unless its new old stock they have. Which I doubt

Your new block was shipped from a Detroit warehouse/dealer?

How do you know you got a "new" block? Ford is spray welding the bores and machining to original size so that's not a good way to tell.

Ford and Navistar had huge stockpiles of parts and engines in 08 and 09 when they were going back and forth with lawsuits and stops in production/shipments.

The International foundry closed July 09 but ford built Super Duty trucks with powerstrokes till I think March of 2010.

Jgon08

Reaction score
A bolt will never put as much clamping force or load down vs a stud being torqued to the same spec. A bolt has to overcome way more friction, torsional loses and such.

As far as blocks cracking, there has to be a casting number relation.

Im with Shane, there has to be something we are not seeing here.

08SUPERKING

Reaction score
Boy that's not good, I hope I never need to pull my heads off...

Hope things work out better for you....

webb06

Reaction score
Your new block was shipped from a Detroit warehouse/dealer?

How do you know you got a "new" block? Ford is spray welding the bores and machining to original size so that's not a good way to tell.

Ford and Navistar had huge stockpiles of parts and engines in 08 and 09 when they were going back and forth with lawsuits and stops in production/shipments.

The International foundry closed July 09 but ford built Super Duty trucks with powerstrokes till I think March of 2010.

I paid $2300 for the block alone. It better have been a brand new block is all I have to say. I know it cam from a warehouse in Detroit. Took 3 days to get to me

ford rules

Reaction score
Wow, sorry to hear about the 2nd bad block. Makes it even worse that's it's supposed to be new...

webb06

Reaction score
Any word from ford? Just curious as to what there going to do to make this right.

Wanted to make for sure it was the block today before we called. I removed the stud and you can literally watch the water roll out of it when it's being pressurized. Calling them tomorrow

HD F250

Reaction score
Wanted to make for sure it was the block today before we called. I removed the stud and you can literally watch the water roll out of it when it's being pressurized. Calling them tomorrow

I know that made u furious! Such a $hitty deal man, I am really hoping the best for you. I am fighting a fuel issue right now, but my problems aren't close to being as bad as yours.

Latest posts

Members online