6.7 CFD turbo kit frustration

Snake

Reaction score
The long and short of it is the owner wanted to do things that would make it unreliable and unstreetable as far as driveability goes, they ( SPE ) didn't want to do that an have their name on it. So he took it to Hillbilly Diesel so they can do the backwoods special on it.

Pretty much sums it up.

Edit - treed by a country mile. LOL Browser was refreshing

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
Well this thread took a fun turn.

Steve's gay.... and now everyone knows it.. Mouth hugs for errybody! :jawdrop::redspotdance:

Last edited:

Elliott

Reaction score
The long and short of it is the owner wanted to do things that would make it unreliable and unstreetable as far as driveability goes, they ( SPE ) didn't want to do that an have their name on it. So he took it to Hillbilly Diesel so they can do the backwoods special on it.

I thought maybe CFD paid him to bring it in so they could have a look at how a real diesel performance shop builds a truck. It would be sad to see how much CFD mucked up that nice build by SPE.

Dan

Reaction score
image.jpg

Can someone give me some insight to whatever could have caused this?

When my heads were pulled this is what was found, I never paid too much attention to what was going on here but now that I go back and think about it, I'm, well, ceruous... Of course I was never given an explanation just a picture! Haha

Thanks in advance

jdgleason

Reaction score
View attachment 20669

When my heads were pulled this is what was found, I never paid too much attention to what was going on here but now that I go back and think about it, I'm, well, ceruous... Of course I was never given an explanation just a picture! Haha

Thanks in advance

Looks like something bounced around in that cylinder for a short amount of time.... May have exited through a valve

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Considering the quality of those welds and the fact that you cracked a bunch of them my guess a piece of welding slag or small piece of metal passed through.

Dan

Reaction score
It was in all cylinders... #3 was the worst.. So yeah something had to have gone through there..

New pistons were put in and Heads were decked so I'm sure it was taken care of.. :D and that's all that matters for this guy!

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
It was in all cylinders... #3 was the worst.. So yeah something had to have gone through there..

New pistons were put in and Heads were decked so I'm sure it was taken care of.. :D and that's all that matters for this guy!

If it was me, I'd have the engine torn down and my lawyer on hold... If I was you, I would take a oil sample and have it sent off to be analyzed, on top of running a compression test, and whatever else I could to verify that there was something there worth building off of. Otherwise, without that knowledge, you could be building on top of a problem and you will never know where to start looking when it rears its head. As far as it sits, I would suggest it be treated as a non-runner and have everything gone through for peace of mind. You can't trust what you were told was done....

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
I agree with Steve on this one! You've stated numerous times that your just going to write this one off... But atleast have the guys at Custom Auto check the engine out before mounting the chargers in there. Don't just trust the engine is good, I'd hate to see you sink all this money in it again just for it to pop the first time the atmo starts moving air

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I thought maybe CFD paid him to bring it in so they could have a look at how a real diesel performance shop builds a truck. It would be sad to see how much CFD mucked up that nice build by SPE.

Ha, that would be funny. But looking at those welds I'd say they have a learning disability to put it nicely.

Dan

Reaction score
I see where you guys are coming from, and agree to some extent, but where do you start? Where do you stop eh? (If you know what im stabbing at) I mean the engine has ran without complaint thus far and has been driven rather hard, I understand completely where you guys are coming from and I'm going to roll the dice on this engine, it has all the right parts, carillos, head studs, push rods and valve springs, And we'll find out what a CFD engine can hold! Then i plan on getting a long block from ford and getting either an elite or spe touch to it.. This could be near future or further on down the road! :) depends what happens!

And I'm confident that it has the parts in that engine that I paid for, rods, new crank, new pistons, new rings, head studs, push rods, valve springs & retainers.. If not, I'm sure we'll find out when it comes appart! :)

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
View attachment 20669

Thanks in advance

Looks like weld slag that got pushed into the head for a few minutes, does the piston on that same cylinder look identical?

SPE

Reaction score
I agree with Steve on this one! You've stated numerous times that your just going to write this one off... But atleast have the guys at Custom Auto check the engine out before mounting the chargers in there. Don't just trust the engine is good, I'd hate to see you sink all this money in it again just for it to pop the first time the atmo starts moving air

As we have previously discussed, Dan, I'd get the engine balanced as well.

Dan

Reaction score

I'm banking on it popping! :) and that way I can justify cam and cut pistons and ported and polished heads, you know, a real engine build! :)

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I see where you guys are coming from, and agree to some extent, but where do you start? Where do you stop eh? (If you know what im stabbing at) I mean the engine has ran without complaint thus far and has been driven rather hard, I understand completely where you guys are coming from and I'm going to roll the dice on this engine, it has all the right parts, carillos, head studs, push rods and valve springs, And we'll find out what a CFD engine can hold! Then i plan on getting a long block from ford and getting either an elite or spe touch to it.. This could be near future or further on down the road! :) depends what happens!

And I'm confident that it has the parts in that engine that I paid for, rods, new crank, new pistons, new rings, head studs, push rods, valve springs & retainers.. If not, I'm sure we'll find out when it comes appart! :)

Well if all your new pistons look like that as well as the heads I personally wouldn't reuse them.

Dan

Reaction score
As we have previously discussed, Dan, I'd get the engine balanced as well.

Because its an internally balanced engine, this is a must, and is supposedly been done, I have 75% confidence in this build so I'm going to run it till it blows! Wish me luck! :) hahaha

Latest posts

Members online