600hp was fun but boring. Going bigger!

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I thought about buying a shepered scope one time. Then realized for my 30-06 there was no need. I ended up buying a Nikon Monarch scope with the BDC cross hairs. I like it! Was a cheap scope with a full lifetime warranty, That right there count for a lot. Just have a hard time because of where it was made. With a my hand-loads in my 30-06 and a 200 grain bullet I now have a hold to point for 750 and if I do it right 850 yards. No nee to shoot a elk or deer any farther then that! could be done but no need.

Chris Leupolds are nice. If you buy one make sure it is a Gold ring edition. They are the only ones still made in the USA! That counts for a lot!!!

V-Ref

Reaction score
Anyone want to jump in here with gun talk? I'm always up for it.

Me too!

30-338 Lapua Improved

i-wcCQfwm-XL.jpg

It's got a Zero Stop 20 MOA knob 3.5-15x50 NPR1 on it now though :)

V-Ref

Reaction score
375 Cheytac Improved.....this rifle is a game changer...now that Cutting Edge is making great bullets that are actually obtainable for the 375 fellas......it's taken me a while to see the full potential of this rig. A decent laser for one is an obstacle when attempting to go past a mile.....

i-tcD44W4-X2.jpg

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Nice to see you finally got it done Tim! It looks sexy!

Jngreen- I guarantee the Lazz, 338LAI, 30-338LAI, and the cheytac are all over 600hp. LOL

DocBar

Reaction score
I thought about buying a shepered scope one time. Then realized for my 30-06 there was no need. I ended up buying a Nikon Monarch scope with the BDC cross hairs. I like it! Was a cheap scope with a full lifetime warranty, That right there count for a lot. Just have a hard time because of where it was made. With a my hand-loads in my 30-06 and a 200 grain bullet I now have a hold to point for 750 and if I do it right 850 yards. No nee to shoot a elk or deer any farther then that! could be done but no need.

Chris Leupolds are nice. If you buy one make sure it is a Gold ring edition. They are the only ones still made in the USA! That counts for a lot!!!
A 200gr bullet in an .06? That's heavy. Mine likes 165gr boat tails.

Blowby

Reaction score
Happy with my PST for a fraction of the cost of a NF. I did buy it used but it was in perfect condition, he must have been hunting in the safe.
Here's a through the scope view of the cross hairs on my Vortex Viper 4-16x50 FFP.
The cars are 1150 yards out. Not the best pic from my iPhone.

Crosshairs.jpg

Last edited:

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
There's a reason I shoot a 155 Gr Scenar from my Tikka. I can get 2,850 from it because its light, and it has the highest sectional density of any 30 cal round. That means more energy on impact than a slower heavier bullet. Even down range.

DocBar

Reaction score
Its not that heavy, I should 180 grain bullets from my .30-06 all day.

sent while swerving into the wrong lane...
180gr is about as heavy as you usually see a .30-06 round. The heaviest bullet manufactured is 220gr.

Having said that, every rifle I've ever shot has preferred different loads. I own two identical Winchester Model 70's, accurized by the same gunsmith, that simply will not shoot the same load with the same accuracy. One prefers the 165gr while the other prefers 168gr. I can get good hunting accuracy from 125gr to 180gr (the heaviest I've ever shot in an -06) but the rifles perform the best with the bullets listed.

DocBar

Reaction score
There's a reason I shoot a 155 Gr Scenar from my Tikka. I can get 2,850 from it because its light, and it has the highest sectional density of any 30 cal round. That means more energy on impact than a slower heavier bullet. Even down range.
I tend to load for accuracy and don't think a whole lot about downrange energy. Since my limit is ~400yds and I usually don't use friable bullets, the difference has been negligible in my experience. I've always been very careful with my choice of shots. If I'm not comfortable with the shot, I don't take it. It's not like I've ever had to get a kill or starve. Hell, I haven't even hunted in about 15 yrs. Too dang expensive in my line of work.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
A 200gr bullet in an .06? That's heavy. Mine likes 165gr boat tails.

No it is not really heavy. I like it. Infact it worked so much better then the 165 my brother has he is thinking about switching.

I really like the 200 grain bullet. So far out of all the different grain bullets i have tried these are the best. They are just a plain and simple sierra GameKing Boat tail soft point bullet. They only thing I do not like is the soft point. wish it was a poly tip.

I have tried the 150, 165, 180, and now the 200 gainers. I will not be going back!!

Do you hand load your bullets? If so how many grain of powder do you use? In my 30-06 I can shoot a 150 closer to 3000 fps. With the right powder a little faster.

I have yet to crony my 200 grain loads yet and I will say this. The 200 are flatter then the 150 I loaded. They beat them hands down. One way I know this is the fact that they hit higher the the 150 or 165 or 180 did. I had to adjust it so the bullets would hit lower. This was only at 400 yards thou. If its flatter there it will be flatter farther. The load book claims 2850 for the 200 grainers I am shooting. I would not believe that thou!! And I have still not used all the powder room in the case I could use. There is no high pressure mark or cracks on the cases either.

I will still be tweaking the loads to get it better. I will have to crony them and see where they are.

DocBar

Reaction score
No it is not really heavy. I like it. Infact it worked so much better then the 165 my brother has he is thinking about switching.

I really like the 200 grain bullet. So far out of all the different grain bullets i have tried these are the best. They are just a plain and simple sierra GameKing Boat tail soft point bullet. They only thing I do not like is the soft point. wish it was a poly tip.

I have tried the 150, 165, 180, and now the 200 gainers. I will not be going back!!

Do you hand load your bullets? If so how many grain of powder do you use? In my 30-06 I can shoot a 150 closer to 3000 fps. With the right powder a little faster.

I have yet to crony my 200 grain loads yet and I will say this. The 200 are flatter then the 150 I loaded. They beat them hands down. One way I know this is the fact that they hit higher the the 150 or 165 or 180 did. I had to adjust it so the bullets would hit lower. This was only at 400 yards thou. If its flatter there it will be flatter farther. The load book claims 2850 for the 200 grainers I am shooting. I would not believe that thou!! And I have still not used all the powder room in the case I could use. There is no high pressure mark or cracks on the cases either.

I will still be tweaking the loads to get it better. I will have to crony them and see where they are.
Do you have any chronograph records for these 200gr rounds? That would be interesting to see. 220gr is the largest .30-06 bullet I can find reloading data on, so that would make a 200gr bullet heavy by normal standards.

What powder and primer are you using, if you don't mind sharing? I might load a few rounds and see how they do when I get home next week.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Do you have any chronograph records for these 200gr rounds? That would be interesting to see. 220gr is the largest .30-06 bullet I can find reloading data on, so that would make a 200gr bullet heavy by normal standards.

What powder and primer are you using, if you don't mind sharing? I might load a few rounds and see how they do when I get home next week.

No crony tests yet. I am waiting for it get a little warmer first! I can share the data I have. I would be glad to. I will have to dig out the information and post it up.

A few things I can think of off hand is. 200gr sierra Gameking bullets. IMR 4350 powder (will have to dig out the charge) CCI primers (will have to dig that info out to) Winchester cases. And a Winchester model 670 rifle.

I will get you all the specs later. Just have to go dig it out. Like said they data claims 2850. I do not believe it in any way shape or form.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
OK Doc here you go.

56.6 Grains of IMR 4350.. I will be going a little higher with my next loads. But as you know from loading. I would recommend starting lower then that to see how you gun likes it. They all seem to be different.

CCI 200 Primers.

Winchester cases trimmed to a O.A.L of 2.494

O.A.L with the bullet is something I do not have. I could get you what mine are set at. BUT they are not what they recommend for a A.O.L i always adjust mine out a little closer to the rifling. helps with accuracy and lets you add more powder without adding much more pressure.

And the bullet would be a 200gr sierra Gameking. one of the cheaper ones out there.
The Ballistic Coefficients is .560 @ 2600 FPS and above. not bad for a hunting bullet.

If you see any details missing let me know!!

I have seen load data for a 240 grain bullet for the 30-06. Sierra makes a 240 for a the .308 cal that has a Ballistic Coefficients .711 would be interesting to see what that would do in a 30 cal made for HOT loads!

V-Ref

Reaction score
You guys got Tim all excited. :)

Yes Siree Dave......LR shooting is definitely a hot button for me :)

Nice to see you finally got it done Tim! It looks sexy!

Jngreen- I guarantee the Lazz, 338LAI, 30-338LAI, and the cheytac are all over 600hp. LOL

Chris....thanks on the Cheytac....although if I had to do it all over again, I would've found a away to put another 5-7 lbs into the rifle. 1.5 lbs of rifle wieght for every 100 yds of effective range given a goal of cold bore first round strikes on 1 MOA targets at ELR distances. That rig comes in under 18 lbs....so with Viht 570 and 370 gr RMBs @ 3200 fps...it's a handful to shoot precisely/consistently...and is critical of a perfect shooting position.

Lazzeroni....got to respect a fella that comes up with a whole line of cartridges meant to be the baddest ass, hardest hitting sons of bitches out there...

With a brother at GAP....the least of Chris's worries are a barrel set back :toast:

Happy with my PST for a fraction of the cost of a NF. I did buy it used but it was in perfect condition, he must have been hunting in the safe.
Here's a through the scope view of the cross hairs on my Vortex Viper 4-16x50 FFP.
The cars are 1150 yards out. Not the best pic from my iPhone.

Crosshairs.jpg

I agree....the PSTs are the scope to beat at that price point! My experiences have led me to this list to recommend to friends and family (listed in most economical to most expensive).

PST
Sightron SIII
Leup MK4
Razor
NXS
Premier
Schmidt Bender

I've never used the Zeiss stuff though. Swaro has some great stuff, but reticle choices, and available travel vs. the price point...is why they're not listed.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.