Deranged rebuild, the next chapter

PDT1081

Reaction score
As long as the crank was balanced before, and the ATI dampner was balanced before, and assembled correctly, it shouldn't have been an issue. At least, in theory. We do much larger assemblies here and we balanced parts only at times without issues.

Is the 6.0 internally balanced?

Mdub707

Reaction score
I would imagine the factory balances them to some sort of tolerance, but I don't know how well it's done, or what that tolerance even is.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Call ATI and discuss.

Planning on it. Just want to make sure I have everything figured out first So I have as much information as possible for the tech that I talk to.

And as for the balancing. Back when we first built the original motor for it we had it balanced because the Crower rods were so much heavier than stock. We used this damper when it was balanced. We had the same problem. It would eat a LPOP set every 20 passes or so. When It went early enough in the run to destroy both turbos we put the stock damper back on and never had any more problems. This motor isnt balanced and has hypermax rods and it was never balanced when Ben had it. no LPOP issues. When I rebuilt it last we put the ATI back on to see what would happen since we were getting close to 9s. And it lasted about 15 passes.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
probably not till the end of July or beginning of august sadly. We will be busy putting up hay pretty much all of July.

My goal is to hit 9.5 before they kick us out. then its getting out fitted to pass chassis cert and then start on my licensing passes and hope to be licensed before world finals!

And if I have time I will take a trip down to TSD and get it on the dyno and match the trans shifting to the power curve it makes and probably bring a big set of convectional injectors to see how they do compared to the hybrids back to back. I think matching the trans tuning will help alot.

Last edited:

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
Are you hitting the rev limiter during your runs? That leads to a quick death for LPOP's.

Sorry to derail a bit, but...

Can you elaborate? We have the emissions snap test here where we have to bounce of the rev limiter for 3 seconds, 3 times back to back... :jawdrop:

I usually set my rev limiter as low as the SCT will let me in hopes it won't be as hard on it...

HobbyStock62

Reaction score
Sorry to derail a bit, but...

Can you elaborate? We have the emissions snap test here where we have to bounce of the rev limiter for 3 seconds, 3 times back to back... :jawdrop:

I usually set my rev limiter as low as the SCT will let me in hopes it won't be as hard on it...

Da fuq?

FaSSt9602

Reaction score

That is our yearly emissions test here in Phoenix. It is ***in awesome...:puke:

They put a mirror and a sensor on the tail pipe and measure the smoke output. I pass with flying colors with less than 4 on the opacity test. Still makes me pucker my butthole reving the truck up like that...

"Diesel vehicles in Maricopa County are tested using the Society of Automotive Engineers J1667 test protocol, commonly referred to as the "snap-acceleration test." The test consists of measuring the opacity of three, wide open throttle, no-load accelerations from idle to maximum governed engine speed with the transmissions in neutral. The average opacity for the three accelerations cannot exceed the applicable standard for the model year of the engine. The maximum allowable for engine model year 1991 and newer is 40 percent opacity, for engine model year 1990 and older the maximum is 55 percent opacity."

Latest posts

Members online