Deranged rebuild, the next chapter

Twinturbostroker

Reaction score
"Diesel vehicles in Maricopa County are tested using the Society of Automotive Engineers J1667 test protocol, commonly referred to as the "snap-acceleration test." The test consists of measuring the opacity of three, wide open throttle, no-load accelerations from idle to maximum governed engine speed with the transmissions in neutral. The average opacity for the three accelerations cannot exceed the applicable standard for the model year of the engine. The maximum allowable for engine model year 1991 and newer is 40 percent opacity, for engine model year 1990 and older the maximum is 55 percent opacity."

I see the EPA is still on top of their brilliance game.......

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Found something interesting when I was pulling the crank adapter off the last motor that was I the truck. It somehow twisted it.

image_zps773b572a.jpg

image_zpsd9485af0.jpg

image_zpseb0a74ac.jpg

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
No there is no way it could have been put on like that. the threads would of been cross threaded like no other. it was bending the bolts when I was taking them out.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
No there is no way it could have been put on like that. the threads would of been cross threaded like no other. it was bending the bolts when I was taking them out.

Ah makes sense, that is an impressive amount of force if those bolts were as tight as they are designed to be. Time for ARP to come out with a better option for bolts.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Could have been put on like that potentially? Seems like if that started to move with enough force to change the angle like you've shown it would shear those bolts right off with ease.

I've seen the TC bolts through a billet flex plate do the same thing, on a 600ish HP 5.9, using factory bolts.

We retapped all the threads in the TC and used grade 8 hardware when we put it all back together. Last time I heard, it was still going on the same TC and flex plate.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.