EGT getting up there fast? Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pbguy420

Reaction score
I'm new to the diesel world, as well as auto upgrading. Just bought an 01 f250 7.3l. So far I've dropped on a dp f6 tuner, isspro gauges and have 5 inch turbo back exhaust waiting to go on....

My I know you don't want to go over 1200 for more than a few seconds... But I don't know how long it should take me to get there...

When I gun it off the line I get to about 1200 deg by the time I hit about 50mph and I back off. Is this normal, or should it take longer to get there? I'm in my 120 hp race tune when this happens....

Do I have a problem or is this normal for my minimal upgrades?
If it is normal what are my options for helping lower these temps? Let's start with any mods I can do cheaply before I go dropping big bucks on stuff ( still need to buy tires!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psdguy95

Reaction score
I woukd think that would be normal. You are getting on it. Mine will get up to 900 when going from 35 to 70 when I get on it.

AllanB

Reaction score
It is normal when you have it to the floor. My 6.0 has 190's in it, Mine will go way past 900 degrees I matt it to the floor. To my understanding, it will not hurt anything just running it through a 1/8 mile or even 1/4 mile liie this. You just don't want to run it for a long period of time, lioke towing with it this hot. I took them at their word and tried it. So far I haven't hurt anything. I think you will be ok. You might want to try an aftermarket intercooler when you can.

Arisley

Reaction score
For you truck an aftrmarket intercooler is just a waste of money. You are fine. Mine will hit 1600º in a race. It don't take long to get there either. It comes back down very fast when you let your foot out though.

KPSquared

Reaction score
do some data logging on your hpop performance. i bet it's weak. Weak hpop plus Jody's tunes equals high egt's.

He runs less timing and relys on HPOP pressure to advance the timing for better EGT/smoke control, your pressures must be low.

Last edited:

cfdeng7

Reaction score
You beat me to it about the hpop. Check your ipr duty cycle on wot pulls. Does the truck smoke a lot at wot. If you do a 3/4 throttle pull and a full throttle pull does full throttle feel stronger? My old 7.3's hpop was on its way out and 3/4 would feel the same as wide open. You reach a point where the hpop cannot keep up with the oil demands of the tune and you peak out.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Put that 5" exh on. That should help. Maybe an intake if you have a bad stocker. Ditch the ebpv system.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Intake will help some exhaust will make a good difference too i bet you notice they get quite a bit cooler if your still running stock exhaust and intake on the truck..

Jason

Reaction score
I've got Matt's tunes, on my '02, and with the 6637 filter, 4" mbrp turboback, porter housing and his tunes, on #6, from a deadstop, I can hit about 90mph or so and it'll hit 1300* degrees, and hold there. It'll creep a little higher but will never touch 1400 all the way up to 110mph. And that's with the original 277k mile hpop to boot!

Arisley

Reaction score
I have Tony's tunes, some big injectors, H2E turbo, and an Adrenaline HPOP. Mine waves at 1300 on it's way by on a WOT pull.

Pbguy420

Reaction score
Ok like I said I'm new to diesel so how do I test my hpop?

I'll try the different throttle pulls when I get a chance... You can get a ticket on base for blinking too much...

What is an epbv system? Sorry for my ignorance....

Im going to get the exhaust on soon as I get a chance. Btw I've got a k&n filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KPSquared

Reaction score
1200 is not a big deal but if it goes there quickly and would keep climbing if you didn't let out, then it becomes a problem. The 120 tune isn't a crazy race tune. . .egt's should stop climbing at some point. . if that point is well over 1500, there may be an issue.

GTOKILLER

Reaction score
Maybe I missed this but one very important detail that we all missed is were is the location on the EGT probe??? My first 7.3 was in the manifold & would run 900 on the highway 1600 was nothing with a tailer. After moving it to the down pipe temps were 700 & could get 1400 with a trailer at WOT.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Maybe I missed this but one very important detail that we all missed is were is the location on the EGT probe??? My first 7.3 was in the manifold & would run 900 on the highway 1600 was nothing with a tailer. After moving it to the down pipe temps were 700 & could get 1400 with a trailer at WOT.

YOU MOVED IT TO THE DOWN PIPE?

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online