EGT getting up there fast? Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTOKILLER

Reaction score
Haha, I was thinking the same thing. LOL

I leave the line at 1000* :evil:

Yes after I burned up a $60 probe & sent it through my 38r I didnt want to spend another 2k on a turbo just to know it was 200 deg. cooler after the turbo. Seems like a no brainer to me....... maybe not ??

CurtisF

Reaction score
Yes after I burned up a $60 probe & sent it through my 38r I didnt want to spend another 2k on a turbo just to know it was 200 deg. cooler after the turbo. Seems like a no brainer to me....... maybe not ??

That pretty much makes your EGT gauge useless.

You really do not know if it's a 200 degree difference, because it varies depending on load, ambient temps, speed, RPM's, etc. It can actually be anywhere from 50 to 500 degrees difference.... at any given moment.

And yours is the first time I've ever heard of an EGT probe breaking off and ending up in the turbo.

GTOKILLER

Reaction score
That pretty much makes your EGT gauge useless.

You really do not know if it's a 200 degree difference, because it varies depending on load, ambient temps, speed, RPM's, etc. It can actually be anywhere from 50 to 500 degrees difference.... at any given moment.

And yours is the first time I've ever heard of an EGT probe breaking off and ending up in the turbo.

Trust me I know, this is a daily driver not a crazy high performance race truck or pulling truck. I need it as reliable as possible. Not %100 sure what did it but the probe stopped reading & a week later the turbo puked.

CSIPSD

Reaction score

You just made your pyro gauge 100% worthless.

Something was wrong with your probe if it truely broke off. In 20 years I have never seen one break.

Move it back, before you melt a piston.

GTOKILLER

Reaction score
You just made your pyro gauge 100% worthless.

Something was wrong with your probe if it truely broke off. In 20 years I have never seen one break.

Move it back, before you melt a piston.

thank you all for the info but its been for over 200,000 miles not works great, have not melted a piston yet.... " knock on wood" I really dont push my truck that hard i guess

thuglike

Reaction score
I moved my probe to the tip and my egt's dropped 500* across the board. To think I spent money on an H20 system.

Arisley

Reaction score
I moved my probe to the tip and my egt's dropped 500* across the board. To think I spent money on an H20 system.

I just have mine safety wired to the exhaust manifold. The faster I go, the cooler it gets, especially in the winter.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I just have mine safety wired to the exhaust manifold. The faster I go, the cooler it gets, especially in the winter.

Me too! I went a step further and did the zoodad and ramaired the exh manifolds to keep em at a cool 175 deg while driving. The resulting.piles of snow on my manifolds arent any good though.

Charles

Reaction score
do some data logging on your hpop performance. i bet it's weak. Weak hpop plus Jody's tunes equals high egt's.

He runs less timing and relys on HPOP pressure to advance the timing for better EGT/smoke control, your pressures must be low.

Erroroenous.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Kpsquared, do some searching on psn and itll become readily apparent. I believe I may have given you the backstory on this before anyway. In fact, when you were in the consultation phase before you bought the dp tuner I explained the history. 80e tune specifically. Crunchy idle.

Pbguy420

Reaction score
Well explain it to me please I spend twice the price of the average tuner for Jody's tunes... I have the 80e, 80 tow, 120 race, high idle and exhaust brake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
Its a touchy subject. I havent seen, personally, any dp tunes for a couple years. My buddy kylekleinss on psn had dp tunes and after seeing the difference in sound from those to my php tunes switched. All om gonna say is there is an audible difference in motor noise from the dp tunes of yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online