Famous 6.7 tick after oil change

Randy_270

Reaction score
An update on the 5w30 Amsoil, at about 1800 miles and still no tick. Got another 2800 miles before I'll change it. Thinking of trying next either the Motorcraft 0w30 synthetic diesel oil or Mobil Delvac 0w30 or 5w30 just because the Amsoil is expensive.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
An update on the 5w30 Amsoil, at about 1800 miles and still no tick. Got another 2800 miles before I'll change it. Thinking of trying next either the Motorcraft 0w30 synthetic diesel oil or Mobil Delvac 0w30 or 5w30 just because the Amsoil is expensive.

That's awesome. With my experience it really seems to be temperature related. At least that's what I've found. The colder the more she ticks. It was -20 the one morning and then +2 the next morning and ticked like a bastard when it was cold and no tick when it was warm. Or I'm just going crazy from a case of the ticks lol

zporta

Reaction score
I'm good friends with a Lubricant guru and he has never pointed me in the wrong direction. That's what he recommended so that's what I went with

Randy_270

Reaction score
That's awesome. With my experience it really seems to be temperature related. At least that's what I've found. The colder the more she ticks. It was -20 the one morning and then +2 the next morning and ticked like a bastard when it was cold and no tick when it was warm. Or I'm just going crazy from a case of the ticks lol

Started it in -30C unplugged a couple weeks ago and no tick, and it started quite easy I might add. Last week was in the plus temperature and still no tick :D. I think the tick definitely drives people crazy lol.

Jomax

Reaction score
Ford put 15-40 in my truck no tick as of yet.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
167,360 miles on the '13, had a tick, once I switched to Valvoline EXTREME, no more tick, plus, the way I work her over, I get 7-8k between changes, no issues... I'll stay with V...

Drumnatural

Reaction score
Okay so I've read all 40 pages of this.

What I haven't found an answer to is who is getting this noise using dino oil? I've only
changed the oil once from the factory fill using conventional 10w30 with 9k(7500 at time of change) on the odometer and no tick.

I'm debating now whether to switch to synthetic or not for the next change.

Strokin&Smokin

Reaction score
Okay so I've read all 40 pages of this.

What I haven't found an answer to is who is getting this noise using dino oil? I've only
changed the oil once from the factory fill using conventional 10w30 with 9k(7500 at time of change) on the odometer and no tick.

I'm debating now whether to switch to synthetic or not for the next change.

If I were you I wouldn't switch unless it started the tick. Ford has changed mine 4 times now and still no tick. If it ever starts then I will switch and change it myself.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Drumnatural

Reaction score
So after doing some more digging not only do the mustangs have this tick but so did my Focus ST. It was an obnoxious off rhythmic taping sound that the dealer blew me off about.

I found the msds for XL-17 in which it contains mostly heavy parrafinic and some carbon black.

So by adding this stuff it will up the "weight" of your existing oil and add some carbon(which our engines naturally add as the oil breaks down).

So this helps explain why the sound sometimes goes away after the oil has gotten some miles on it. Ambient temp and engine temp seem to play a role as well but this carbon relation seems to be the biggest factor.

The fact that many ford engines do it to me says it has to do with shared internal parts/design. To assume all of the different ford engines are faulty is a pretty wild concept compared to it being just annoying design clatter.

Also the reason our engines have the sound go away easier/sooner then the cars is IMO a direct result of the amount of carbon we get in our oil compared to a gasser.

Randy_270

Reaction score
Bumping this thread....

So, on my way out to my in-laws yesterday with about 3800km (2375miles) on this oil change I stopped at a fuel station to refuel the truck and get some more snacks/drinks. To my surprise, the truck was ticking away, like it use to while running Rotella T6. I was a little mad at that but oh well the trip must go on. Now while at my in-laws, about 4500km (2800miles) on the oil change at the truck was quiet again... I don't know what's going on but I'll be searching for a different oil to try out for my next oil change...

And I thought I found the one...:cursing:

Latest posts

Members online