Famous 6.7 tick after oil change

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Took 5800+ miles and 2 oil changes, but I have now heard the ticking. Only 2x now, both after the engine was warmed up and driven a while.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Mine ticked yesterday at 19 degrees by the afternoon 39 it was gone

There has to be something to do with the cold that agitates it. Like I posted before when I was in kansas. Same thing here in michigan. It was in the negative digits and it sounded horrible. The worst it has. Its up past 30° now and no tick.

live life full throttle

uga33

Reaction score
I'm happy to report that it quit ticking on this oil change today. I'm at the 4k mile point on this oil interval. 5/40 Valvoline Syn.

2008badlander

Reaction score
So after skimming over all of these pages this ticking is perfectly normal and will eventually go away if im reading correctly right? Traded in for a 6.7 and they did all the service and changed fluids today and im hearing this noise...

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
still no tick ... maybe next change.. but hopefuly not. maybe kicking your trucks ass helps?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Its possible I guess.. I find the hotter my temps get the less it ticks untill is cools back down. This is with the mobile one this time. Only time it ever ticked out of the blue with delo is when it was below 20°.

live life full throttle

Motostroker

Reaction score
still no tick ... maybe next change.. but hopefuly not. maybe kicking your trucks ass helps?

Time for a twin turblows and a stock bottom end I guess then.....it won't tick when there is a tennis ball sized hole in the oil pan right??

redracer62

Reaction score
I did my first oil change yesterday and ~100 miles later it's ticking. Enough that my GF even ask what it was lol.

uga33

Reaction score
Mine is really starting to get on my nerves. I just want to know exactly WHY its doing it. I think it would help me come down from the ledge!

Atsah

Reaction score
4 months and 3K miles of light use and my 6.2 gasser ticked like a bas!ard for the first twenty minutes and really loud to, it was embarrassing. The dealer said it was normal, I said it's normal if it's a POS, It sounded bad enough for me to sell it, so off it went..

uga33

Reaction score
Found this on another site. I like all this technical lingo. Only thing about it is that I have tried this and it hasn't fixed my issue:

"I have a 2010 with the 6.4 and it didnt start ticking until the first oil change. I ignored it after reading the TSB that Ford released stating it was nothing to worry about and was related to tolerances in the bottom end (rods and mains). However I noticed it went away after a few thousand miles into the second oil change. So the third time around I carefully watched the amount of oil on the dipstick when the 15 qts were added, and found something shocking. This engine is over full if it has 15 qts of oil, even though thats what Ford and INternationsal says it holds. Adjust your oil level to where you show about 1/8th of an inch below the top full mark, and it will stop the ticking. When the oil is cold its thicker and tends to string out more like honey and sticks to the block and rods, but when it heats up it gets more like water and drains quickly back into the pan or sump. What you are hearing are the counter weights and connecting rod caps running in oil. This can cause overheating of the oil supply due to the crankshaft directly transfering heat to the oil supply, and can effect the hydrodynamic wedge thats created between the bearing and the crank journal and can cause non-reversal of the crank pin. I have 16 years background in large natural gas and diesel engine technical services and shop/field overhaul and troubleshooting, so I have a little bit of knowledge. Cutting back to about 13.5 - 14 qts has taken the noise out of my 6.4, I would like to hear if this is true for some of yours. Repost and let us know."

redracer62

Reaction score
My dads '12 has never ticked once and I've done all the maintenance on it from the start. Added 13 qts at each change. Mine ticks after the first one but the dealer did this change(free) so I don't know how much they put in it.

Latest posts

Members online