Fuel cooler delete/relocation

Wayne

Reaction score
The truck I'm testing on, by way of reminder, has an airdog 2, elite airdog assist, twin EDE pumps, and cooler delete with the return lines regulated by the airdog upgrade. This is also the same truck that hit 240*F fuel temps previously. It's down to half tank, with some hour long trips, and a handful of harder runs, but no trailer towing. Highest fuel temp I've seen now the regulators are set properly is 137*F. Airdog 2 regulator is maxed and the elite airdog upgrade is at 10 psi. So far, so good, but I'm sure 1/4 tank could prove to be problematic since there's no fuel cooler whatsoever. Time will tell.

madman1234509

Reaction score
I think mine stock I see 100-120. Wayne, let us know what you see with 1/4 tank or less... Unfortunately it sounds like Ill have to just to my own trial and errors because the pumps im using do not have regulators built in.

Ill probably try running my return fuel from the heads to the regulator first, and the return from the regulator through a fuel cooler on the frame rail. If I see high temps Ill have to run the return out of the heads a different way, possibly not regulated at all.

stroker 6.4

Reaction score
Any updates with this? Getting ready to do mine and Very interested to see what you guys have figured out!

Wayne

Reaction score
Count me out, especially since I no longer work at Elite. To me, the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Last edited by a moderator:

stroker 6.4

Reaction score
I'm doing a fuel filter delete and using an air dog and elites duel fueler, so if i have an air dog just run the feed to the hpfp and are you returning off the heads?

Are you using stock lines for return?

Just trying to make sure I'm following correctly thanks!

blk350on20s

Reaction score
My feed setup: tank to fass, fass to regulator, regulator straight to both hpfp's.
Return: fass return goes back to tank. Head returns and valley hpfp tie together and go through a single pass finned trans cooler on the frame rail then to the tank. Second hpfp return and regulator return go through a second single pass trans cooler then back to the tank.

Truck runs great with no issues for years

stroker 6.4

Reaction score
So your heads and valley hpfp are unregulated right? So what return are you regulating the second hpfp return? Sorry for all the questions just tryin to make sure I understand!

stroker 6.4

Reaction score
I understand do you think it stays cooler that way than say with the elite fuel bowl delete with the regulated return like Wayne's set up?

Wayne

Reaction score
What the *** is that all suppose to mean, wang?

I just don't see it being worth making into a production kit. Maybe a write-up on a method that works would be cool for the hard core guys like you, Mr. Nacho Libre. The ones I built sure seem to work good from what I've heard though.

Reaction score
Unregulated returns work fine on many of our trucks. None have ever had a problem. Cooler fuel temps because of the returns going to tank instead of back into the bowl/block and partially reused hot fuel back into the hpfp/hphf's.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i think joe hueser found the promise land as soon as he unregulated the return . i saw high temps before that. makes sense.

ditdr

Reaction score
Just to shed a little light for you guys. Depending on what calibration you have in the pcm the fuel cooler pump on the lower fan shroud driver side will kick in at 120 or 140 degrees of frt. With newer recalibrations from ford it kicks in earlier 120*. We have been seeing in new england (which isnt a great comparison due to the fuel corrosion issues up here) when looking at the itp of the hpfp trucks with failed fuel cooler circulation pumps or if cab was removed and cooler wasn't bled properly (actively commanding on f_coolpump# for 30 minutes with fuel cooler inverted) typically will have black scoring on the cresent ring or on the body of the pump. And will cause a black pepper flake material in fuel rails which can stick injectors. Now i know that every truck is different but we have seen hpfp fail due to overheated fuel. these trucks are maintenance contract trucks and they are religious with fuel filters and using quality fuel and utilizing their wif drain. Also with factory trucks keep in mind the fuel system's are designed to recirculate warm fuel to the tank to prevent gelling through the dtrm. (diesel thermo recirculation module) I often want to delete this thing on my truck but i honestly think it needs it with a factory fuel system. If ford cools the vgt actuator it needs it if they could save several hundred dollars per unit they would. Those vgt actuators can cut off your finger they have about 200 newton meters of strength. However with a high volume fuel system you probably would have enough heat exchange through flow. But yet again we come to the issue of cooling the vgt actuator. Not trying to step on anyones toes so take it easy on me hope this helps!

blk350on20s

Reaction score
I've put 70k miles over 2.5 years without the fuel cooler or vgt cooler on mine. Zero issues. Just sayin

Latest posts

Members online