Fuel cooler delete/relocation

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
why do they regulate supply?

why can you not regulate just the return? everything between the fuel pump and regulator would be X psi?

White_monster

Reaction score
You can do a regulated return only if you have an airdog or fass since they have their own regulator but if you use an a1000 there's no regulator on that style pump.

BFT

Reaction score
I got rid of mine and it ran pretty well and stayed cool, but once you got to 1/4 tank it started to get hot fast. I didn't have the fuel bowl and filter though.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Well, its sounds like Wayne and WhiteMonster will doing some pretty informative tests within the next few weeks, itll be intersting to see what the results are.

Beans71086

Reaction score
I've got Elites stage 2 system. It's got an a1000 with a regulated return. I did a test a long time ago and you have to maintain a few psi on the return side for start up or the fuel system loses its prime. I've got a couple ideas in mind but till I try them I'm keeping them to myself just so I can test them. But my system is like every other system out there, it regulates supply and return with one regulator.

Well that sucks, that's essentially what I'm going to do. Was hoping you were still using the fuel bowl, looks like I'll have to get a small cooler for the frame rail then, unless your idea pans out.

Back to my other question, what are you guys doing with the actuator cooler?

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
You can do a regulated return only if you have an airdog or fass since they have their own regulator but if you use an a1000 there's no regulator on that style pump.

why do you need a regulator on the fuel pump?

iirc, you, meaning white monster, do or did, turn the reg up on the airdog all the way to use the supply/return reg to set system pressure.

im not following why, on a 6.4, you have to regulate the supply and return. if your already regulateing the return, it seems kind of redundant, to also regulate the supply.

why does it matter what pump you have, to determine if you regulate just the return.

im coming from a 7.3, which just requires a RR. everything between the pump and the return line, is X psi, which in our case, is about 60-65 psi.

does a 6.4 require 2 different pressures? one, say like 10 psi for the supply, and 3-4 for the return or something?

what is so different about a 6.4, that your fuel systems are so....funky.

6point0damn2004

Reaction score
Interested in what is found. Cleaning up under the hood is on my to do list. I'd like to get rid of the fuel cooler and move my batteries to my toolbox

White_monster

Reaction score
why do you need a regulator on the fuel pump?
The kits are designed similar to factory and when they came out that was sufficent. Things are changing in terms of performance and now we have found an issue. We need to possibly regulate the supply due to too much volume of fuel. I'll know more once I do my tests.

iirc, you, meaning white monster, do or did, turn the reg up on the airdog all the way to use the supply/return reg to set system pressure.
I tried turning the system pressure up but I developed a slight surge, higher fuel temps, and more noise from the lift pump. I've since turned it back down.

im not following why, on a 6.4, you have to regulate the supply and return. if your already regulateing the return, it seems kind of redundant, to also regulate the supply.
Regulate supply to dump excess fuel. Without a regulator the lift pump will keep pumping fuel and if the fuel can't flow through the pump fast enough pressure will rise, key on engine off and at idle are some examples of when excess fuel could be an issue. More testing to come before I have enough answers thou.

why does it matter what pump you have, to determine if you regulate just the return.
With an airdog you can set supply pressure with the internal regulator and then you can regulate the return on its own via a regulator. If you use an a1000 you don't have the internal regulator so it's possible you could need a second regulator. More testing on this to come.

im coming from a 7.3, which just requires a RR. everything betwKeen the pump and the return line, is X psi, which in our case, is about 60-65 psi.

does a 6.4 require 2 different pressures? one, say like 10 psi for the supply, and 3-4 for the return or something?
All we need is 10psi on the supply side just to keep the pump inlet flooded. Return pressure can be set at about 5psi but without testing I don't know if this is possible. The reason being that asking for only 5psi on the return might mean that only 5psi is maintained on the supply side. Hoping to get info on this soon.

what is so different about a 6.4, that your fuel systems are so....funky.
There not funky, there just new and were still learning all about them.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
yup, that does.

i think i have a real good idea of what your results will be, as this fuel system is, when you break it down to the parts, isnt much different from a 7.3 system.

dead head at the heads, or at the hpfp, and the heat coming from those is what your trying to battle, among other issues.

it will be interesting to see how your results for this engine, differ from those we found on our 7.3.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Im having trouble with the return fuel regulator. Are you guys regulating the return off the hpfp or off the heads or all 3? Reason i ask is the hpfp is creating a massive amount of pressure and i figure pressure would be very high on the returns from the heads. I feel regulating the return off the hpfp would get you good results for the feed because in theory it would regulate the whole system no?
As for the actuator cooler. Mine is now removed but i did at one point have it routed to circulate the coolant in its own circuit. Just extended the lines to bypass the fuel cooler.

madman1234509

Reaction score
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1827

If you look at this, I believe the elite kit, which most people are running keeps it like stock with the fuel cooler still attached. Excess fuel comes out of the front of each head, Ts together. Then that line Ts into the excess fuel from the injection pump, then goes to the fuel cooler.

When I put my kit together, Ill most likely keep it like that, and instead of having the cooler in the engine bay, just keep it unregulated and send it back towards the tank and through a cooler on the frame rail. If it needs to be regulated then ill send it back to the regulator, then the regulator bypass will be the only line returning fuel through a remote cooler and to the tank. Just waiting on results from Wayne and White Monster before I decide for sure.

Also, I believe there is a 2-3 psi check valve where the fuel from the heads Ts into the excess fuel from the hpfp, so pressure cant be that high.

Last edited:

blk350on20s

Reaction score
My system is like that without the regulator. All return lines y together then through a frame mounted cooler then to the tank. Supply line goes straight to the hpfp from the fass. Been like that for almost 2 years now

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Biggest reason to regulate fuel supply pressure is to protect the HPFP. From my conversations with a few shops that specialize in repairing and modifying the pumps, running them with too much inlet pressure will not only cause some drivability issues, but also can damage the pump (applies to K16 and CP3 both). You want to maintain adequate volume without cranking the pressure up too high, so if you're running a big pump like a Fuelab or A1000, you have to have a way to manage the pressure and return the excess back to the tank.

madman1234509

Reaction score
My system is like that without the regulator. All return lines y together then through a frame mounted cooler then to the tank. Supply line goes straight to the hpfp from the fass. Been like that for almost 2 years now

And this has been working for you up until recently correct?

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Yep. My fass is only making 5psi. got a new pump on the way. If that doesnt work then its hpfp time.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Ya. I gave a few guys what i did and they are doin good to. I think regulating the return is a good idea though

madman1234509

Reaction score
Yea, but I wont have a regulator on the fuel pumps, and if I can keep the hot fuel from the heads going into my regulator and mixing with the supply fuel Id rather do that

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Ya for sure. Shane is testing that but with a 2nd regulator on the return. Should be beneficial

Latest posts

Members online