Fuel cooler delete/relocation

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought about it but I highly doubt it will ever come on. I know the fuel gets hot in the summer when towing. Plus I don't want to depend on the thermostat if it fails

You could monitor it on the DD. I would use a thermostat since it is easy to forget about cooling fuel. Hell those lines running to the cooler are long enough to probably cool it substantially too.

BFT

Reaction score
With the ambient temp and air going through the fins it should cool off pretty well. Sitting in traffic (especially with a load) is where I see everything get hot.

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Good point Erik.... Bft you could be our guinea pig lol... If you did put a tstat or leave the stock one you can tell us what temps your seeing without the factory cooler

BFT

Reaction score
It'll probably be the same to be honest. I remembering monitoring it last summer and it was 130-140 and heading out to Colorado this past trip I saw it pretty cool, like 40-50* cool.
It will be nice to get rid of all of that mess but still have a cooler for when I tow

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I don't think it will change much either, except when it is working hard. I haven't really even monitored fuel temps. It would be nice to get rid of some of that cluster *** in the front.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I know this thread kinda died but I figured I would post some info up.

Yesterday I drove back from Elite at 80 MPH ffor about 100 miles on 1/4 tank.of fuel.

Got home and fuel temps were 167 and the fan was starting to run slightly.

I'm thinking a fuel cooler might be in my future afterall but I want to have some sort of bypass for cold weather

BFT

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been lagging on mine. But since I have such a huge window now for getting stuff done, I'd most likely hae it done before Phoenix. Everything under the hood is done aside for the cooler & fan plumbing and wiring

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Still debating on pullin the actuator cooler. I dont have the temp sensor in the truck anymore so i think im gonna pull it off because i dont think the electric pumps even coming on. I wanted to heat gun it first to compare but havent gone very far lately to get any temps. Feel free to get a couple readings if you want lol. Ryan

Beans71086

Reaction score
Bringing this back because my cab is in the air. I'm probably going to do away with the fuel cooler completely. My question is more about the actuator cooler, wondering if anyone just teed it in with the cooling system? I see there was discussion about it, but has anyone done the deed with success?

White_monster

Reaction score
Pulling the fuel cooler will result in vey high fuel temps unless you change the routing of the lines. Ppl have hit as high as 220 degrees on the fuel temp sensor.

powr2stroke

Reaction score
Bringing this back because my cab is in the air. I'm probably going to do away with the fuel cooler completely. My question is more about the actuator cooler, wondering if anyone just teed it in with the cooling system? I see there was discussion about it, but has anyone done the deed with success?

interested also

madman1234509

Reaction score
I wouldnt delete the fuel cooler unless you are doing a low pressure fuel system..... At that point you could delete the fuel bowl, and instead of recirculating the heated fuel, you can just send it back to the tank and through a cooler on the frame rail. Really no point in deleting it with a stock system, seems more of a headache than anything.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the fuel cooler delete is a bad decision. No reason.

Wayne

Reaction score
Pulling the fuel cooler will result in vey high fuel temps unless you change the routing of the lines. Ppl have hit as high as 240 degrees on the fuel temp sensor.
corrected^
I wouldnt delete the fuel cooler unless you are doing a low pressure fuel system..... At that point you could delete the fuel bowl, and instead of recirculating the heated fuel, you can just send it back to the tank and through a cooler on the frame rail. Really no point in deleting it with a stock system, seems more of a headache than anything.

I haven't bothered studying the stock system, but I know the Elite air dog upgrade kit returns the heated fuel to the tank. While technically the heated fuel (and previously cooled fuel in a system retaining the cooler) is directly connected to the supply system, it actually has to go in the opposite direction of flow past the regulator to be recycled instead of going to the tank. The problem some guys are having is that the air dog regulated pressure is lower than the regulator pressure on the air dog upgrade, not allowing the upgrade regulator to open, which leaves the hot fuel in a dead head system without a cooler in some cases, causing temps to skyrocket.

I'll be checking fuel temps on a truck without a fuel cooler, but with an AD-II, and airdog upgrade having properly set pressures so we can see where fuel temps end up. This will happen some time within this coming week if all goes well. Obviously it will still get hot if there's less than 1/4 tank, but this test will be with 1/2 tank plus. I expect that with the AD assist regulator opening, fuel temps will be manageable. If not, we'll consider some plumbing where either a fuel cooler goes back on, or return fuel is not regulated or both.

I think the fuel cooler delete is a bad decision. No reason.
**EDIT** perhaps I won't be testing without a fuel cooler^^

Last edited:

White_monster

Reaction score
corrected^

I haven't bothered studying the stock system, but I know the Elite air dog upgrade kit returns the heated fuel to the tank. While technically the heated fuel (and previously cooled fuel in a system retaining the cooler) is directly connected to the supply system, it actually has to go in the opposite direction of flow past the regulator to be recycled instead of going to the tank. The problem some guys are having is that the air dog regulated pressure is lower than the regulator pressure on the air dog upgrade, not allowing the upgrade regulator to open, which leaves the hot fuel in a dead head system without a cooler in some cases, causing temps to skyrocket.

I'll be checking fuel temps on a truck without a fuel cooler, but with an AD-II, and airdog upgrade having properly set pressures so we can see where fuel temps end up. This will happen some time within this coming week if all goes well. Obviously it will still get hot if there's less than 1/4 tank, but this test will be with 1/2 tank plus. I expect that with the AD assist regulator opening, fuel temps will be manageable. If not, we'll consider some plumbing where either a fuel cooler goes back on, or return fuel is not regulated or both.

**EDIT** perhaps I won't be testing without a fuel cooler^^

Wayne the only problem I have with your statement is that I can't regulate pressure at the a1000 so setting the regulator at the pressure of 10psi still results in very high fuel temps. The heat is transferring regardless of flow direction.

Beans71086

Reaction score
Pulling the fuel cooler will result in vey high fuel temps unless you change the routing of the lines. Ppl have hit as high as 220 degrees on the fuel temp sensor.

But with what kind of low pressure system? I could see it super heating the fuel with the stock system returning already heated fuel back to the hpfp. I'm planing on deleting the fuel fuel and running Marty's a1000 pump setup with a regulated return.

^^^this^^^

Wayne the only problem I have with your statement is that I can't regulate pressure at the a1000 so setting the regulator at the pressure of 10psi still results in very high fuel temps. The heat is transferring regardless of flow direction.

How's your system setup if you don't mind sharing or pm if you like.

White_monster

Reaction score
I've got Elites stage 2 system. It's got an a1000 with a regulated return. I did a test a long time ago and you have to maintain a few psi on the return side for start up or the fuel system loses its prime. I've got a couple ideas in mind but till I try them I'm keeping them to myself just so I can test them. But my system is like every other system out there, it regulates supply and return with one regulator.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.