H-11s vs ARP's

Status
Not open for further replies.

F250stroker08

Reaction score
I think alot of people have the right to be frustrated with Elite at this point. I know i myself am. When buying studs i seen that Elite studs were advertised at 240,000 psi tensile strength and and Arp studs at 220,000 psi so i thought i would go ahead and get the apparently stronger ones. Now they are both advertised at 220,000 psi tensile strenth. I bought the Elite studs during the black friday sale so i dont know what the exact price difference between Elite and Arp was then but now it is $237.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
It still doesnt change the fact that I paid premium (they were almost a grand) when they first came out for a product that was not as claimed. And now I have another set of "H-11's", sorry 17-22 or whatever they're called now, in my garage waiting to get installed.

It's not monetary to me. Its principle.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Dustin there's also a lot of trucks that puke that had elites studs....

Mine never has. I know I'm only around 600 HP, but I have never had a single issue with over 75 track passes, 20+ dyno runs, and a lot of abuse testing tunes. My coolant level hasn't changed in almost 35,000 miles.

oneturboforme

Reaction score
The mpd guys, plus a few more have been named in this thread alone all bc someone tried to call then out about saying the h11s are what was causing it

Dzchey21

Reaction score
It still doesnt change the fact that I paid premium (they were almost a grand) when they first came out for a product that was not as claimed. And now I have another set of "H-11's", sorry 17-22 or whatever they're called now, in my garage waiting to get installed.

It's not monetary to me. Its principle.

I totally understand bud i really do.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
I really think some of you all are really trying to dig to hard and are looking way to far into this.

JD, and Anthony havent worked at elite that long the only person that has really been there since the start is garrett and wayne, and i really doubt head studs get talked about all that much in the shop, thats also just an assumption but i really think some of you guys are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I dont hold JD to task on this. He's merely the messenger.

If there was any doubt in the studs, I would have never gone down the path I did. Chances are i would have torn into the engine and done something about it.

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Btw I'm not saying that's wgat caused Puking I'm saying there are trucks that puke with then so the point thst there are trucks that have them and dont puke isn't that solid bc there others that have

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I dont hold JD to task on this. He's merely the messenger.

If there was any doubt in the studs, I would have never gone down the path I did. Chances are i would have torn into the engine and done something about it.

So what was the story on your original engine?

Did you put studs in one at a time? Or did you do gaskets and studs at once?
Did the head get decked at the same time? Not trying to pry just asking.

nickg3130

Reaction score
Kinda weird how quiet the elite guys are while this is going on lol they're usually all over anything that has to do with their company. It would be nice to get some of their input to possibly clear things up about what happened.

derrick36

Reaction score
Stuff like this is hilarious now that the truth is out.

Anyone running enough power to justify studs in a 6.4 should be smart enough to not skimp a couple hundred bucks to risk doing the job more than once. I haven't even seen a 6.4 with ARP's yet, but know first-hand what kind of abuse properly installed H-11 studs can withstand as far as integrity. My next truck will be a 6.4, and when I do it, I'm doing it once. I'm not going the "cheap" ARP route like I did on my last 6.0, and doing arp's only to be back in it a couple months later because I lifted the heads, just to buy studs, gaskets, machine work, labor etc. twice.

I'm as fond of my money as the next guy, and like to save where I can, but a couple hundred bucks is only a fraction of the cost of a head stud job. Doing the job twice because I cheaped out the first time; well now, that pisses me off. To each their own though. If "good enough" is good enough for you, and you're okay with the risk of unproven studs, then go for it.

Now, if ARP wanted to give me a set for testing on my own truck, and I didn't already have it done I'm not afraid of the labor on my own stuff, and would gladly test, and provide feedback as no one I'm aware of has pushed them like the H-11's have been. If it were a paying customer, I must agree with Elite's policy on ARP's. We won't sell 'em, and we won't warranty the job to keep from blowing the gaskets, but we'll guarantee they've been installed according to manufacturer's specs if a customer provides them. We actually refuse to reuse ARP studs despite what the manufacturer says regarding this.

If you want the job done right, come to Elite (and other reputable shops). If you want to save a few coins the first round, take it to Joe Blow down the street. Then, when you're ready to have it re-done right because it failed when Joe Blow did it, bring it back to us. Until ARP has proven them selves in the 6.4 racing world I wouldn't touch them (except for the above senario). There's way too long of a list of 6.0 trucks I've re-done the right way after somebody wasted their money the first round.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
For a long time the only thing you could even get was Elite studs. I personally.don't care what they are made out of they work I do.know that.

Elite does have a bit of a mess on this one but I'm.pretty sure my hear studs just said elite studs.

I.might have named the install instructions incorrect years ago so that might be my.fault on an assumption

madman1234509

Reaction score
lol. I dont get how anyone can compare 6.0 headstuds to 6.4. And I dont get how people can say Arps arent proven. They arent proven because they arent on the forum flaunting their product... Right now.... There is ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE to prove elites studs are better then arp studs. From this point I think consumers can use their own judgement on what and what not to go with.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
The mpd guys, plus a few more have been named in this thread alone all bc someone tried to call then out about saying the h11s are what was causing it

your backwards.

mpd was/is claiming its elits studs fault.

not someone else calling them out saying that.

this whole entire thread is started, because mpd bought and installed elite's "H-11" studs, to the letter, and they failed. not saying it was the stud, just they were in it, and it failed. they then stated that they were goin back to arp's. and thus this whole fiasco started.

oneturboforme took some serious heat during this whole entire thing, but stuck with it, and now everyone is having a serious "omfg, wtf" moment.

it would seem that, while elite knew what was goin on, and started to curb the public opinion, but then for some reason decided to not spend the effort anymore, thus allowing the public to completely think they were H-11. though not advertised as such, it was a 100% logical assumption to make, and ppl cannot be faulted for making that assumption either.

now we find out, that the material is the same. comparing arp's to elites "studs". and the tensile strength is the same. but even though 220,000 is 220,000, for some reason the process makes them better. but, if the process made them better, why is it still 220,000?

now, the end result of this, is there are several people very......upset. having bought a product, that was for all intents and purposes, supposed to be superior. come to find out, as far as the data provided says, they are the same, simply billed out at an extra $237.

it'll be interesting to see where this actually ends up.

let the soap opera continue.

carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online