H-11s vs ARP's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne

Reaction score
Well guys, I'm sorry for what a mess this has turned out to be. I am to blame for a lot of the misinformation. Was it intentional? No. I think I can speak for both myself and JD in saying more steps should've been taken to clear up the misunderstanding of which material was used. As pretty much everyone else who's contributed to, or read this thread up to this point, he's been a little on edge, and probably spoke out of frustration in saying it wasn't worth the time.

The Elite studs have been referred to for so long as H-11, that I haven't even thought about them not being made of a different material in quite a while. A great deal of frustration on behalf of all of our head stud customers, as well as plenty of embarassment on behalf of people associated with Elite could've been avoided if this issue was cleared up sooner.

All of you please keep in mind that Elite is not the only company selling A-1 6.4L studs. Other companies who sell the A-1 studs have advertised them as H-11. Is this an excuse for any lack of clarity on behalf of Elite? No. I'm just saying Elite is not the only party contributing to the A-1 studs being misrepresented.

I will reiterate though, that until today I was not aware of ARP's and Elite studs being made of the same material. I was truly under the impression of Elite's being made of a superior material. I am disappointed to learn this, but thank oneturboforme for bringing this to light. Thanks to the guys at A-1, Tadd has also only recently become aware of the fact that the Elite material is the same as the ARP material, although he is the one who chose the material originally. (as mentioned before, ARP uses a different name) Plans were made to emphasize clarity of actual product material, but unfortunately it was not given enough priority until today.

I do, however, believe the Elite/ A-1 spec. clamping process, and fastener lube to be superior in comparison to ARP's method on torquing beyond yield. JD and Anthony were probably in the same boat on the lack of technically related head stud information. Should they have been more informed? Yes. Should we have more accurately advertised this information? Yes. We (Elite Diesel) are taking steps to ensure mistakes like this never happen again. For those who have been under the impression that the 6.4L Elite studs are made of H-11, and especially for those who have spent the extra money based off this impression, I'm sorry for any part Elite as a company and I personally may have had in the misunderstanding.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
So basically the thread pitch almost has to.be different
And for us running Elite studs that torqued to elite specs we should be ok as far as clamping force
Maybe increasing to 210- 220 might not hurt tho

MINK

Reaction score
WOP is another who needs to be aware so they can change titleing (this may of already been done)

Good statement Wayne.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Well unless they come up with some data quick, or lower their price, Id imagine they would lose business on the studs. If someone knows two sets of studs are made from the same thing and no one has evidence of which is stronger, why spend the extra money. Ive never seen arp studs had a catostrophic failure, nor have I seen elites but as far as anyone is concerned they could be just as strong as one another. You cant keep the price high soley based on you were the first company to have them. I could see if you were the ONLY company to have them...

I'm betting alot has to do with buying power. I.would think that arp purchases alot more material from a-1 and others than elite could ever imagine so.elite has to pay a higher price to get it done.

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Wayne mistakes happen all the time... Some things you should be leary about is what your saying right now as ppl are on edge.. keep in mind ppl are mad at elite bc how much the post about h11s in the past that's why there pointing fingers at your company, and from the sounds of it your company and a1 made these studs before arp so they were the only one and i THINK and only recently cam out with that material....... Please do your self and company a favor and say you believe you feel that the clamping force is higher bc your install procedure and lube, ppl are going to want facts right now from you guys not feelings, just trying to help ya out before this gets outta hand again

Dzchey21

Reaction score
WOP is another who needs to be aware so they can change titleing (this may of already been done)

Good statement Wayne.

I was thinking the same.because they actually advertised them as h-11s

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Dustin I think your confused or I am a1 makes elites studs... Arp makes theres own which are similar... Get what im saying? Different sfastener companies

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Does this mean my ARPs are really H-11s?

Sorry. Bad joke. Had to...

cbrown

Reaction score
I'm betting alot has to do with buying power. I.would think that arp purchases alot more material from a-1 and others than elite could ever imagine so.elite has to pay a higher price to get it done.

And I completely agree with you on that. However you cant deny the likelihood that there was also a price jump because they were supposedly H-11.

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Also for upping the tq like your asking the a1 rep said you should beable to move up to 210 in that email he sent me about his studs

Reaction score
I feel mislead because in all of the conversations I have ever had about 6.4 A1 H11 headstuds, I have never once been corrected and made aware of this. You would think I would have heard about this. I want to apologize to our customers who we may have given false information to, I do not want us to be made out that we are knowingly not telling the truth.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Dustin I think your confused or I am a1 makes elites studs... Arp makes theres own which are similar... Get what im saying? Different sfastener companies

Yeah I totally agree material same but the actual bolt is different

Wayne

Reaction score
Im not saying they actually are rebranded ARPs. But if they are made from the same material- keep in mind this was verfified by the A-1 rep- then they are basically the same. Regardless of what is used to install them, the stud is still the same. The difference is obviously coming in the istallation procedure.
If you want to look at it that way, then technically ARP's would be the re-branded ones as Elite was the exclusive distributor of the only 6.4L head stud on the market for over a year before ARP introduced theirs. from what I understand<(disclaimer, walking on egg shells now that both of my feet are in my mouth) ARP and A-1/Elite have developed their own studs totally independently of one another, so the fact that the material is the same is a coinsidince.
Wayne mistakes happen all the time... Some things you should be leary about is what your saying right now as ppl are on edge.. keep in mind ppl are mad at elite bc how much the post about h11s in the past that's why there pointing fingers at your company, and from the sounds of it your company and a1 made these studs before arp so they were the only one and i THINK and only recently cam out with that material....... Please do your self and company a favor and say you believe you feel that the clamping force is higher bc your install procedure and lube, ppl are going to want facts right now from you guys not feelings, just trying to help ya out before this gets outta hand again

As far as torque specs go, Elite's specs are decided by strength of material, lube used, and time tested seasoning procedures. A-1 has a great deal of input on final torque; just how much, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online