Towing

89 Stroker

Reaction score
looking at picking up a 53 foot enclosed goose neck car hauler and am second guessing if my truck can handle it,

2015 F250 6.7 obviously single rear wheel CCLB , its the basic model with no upgrades, im not sure of the weight of the trailer yet, but it would haul 3 baja bugs in it along with tires and such

what yall think?

Last edited:

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Can it be done....yes. Is it safe....no and I speak from experience.

I have a '97 SCLB OBS with rear dually springs and air bags. For years I've been towing a 34' enclosed GN race car trailer, grossing over 21k. My rear axle weight is 6880lbs. If I had stock 235 tires, the tires would have been overloaded. I have 285s "E's" on the truck. The truck had no issues towing but I have to pay close attention all the time.

I bought my '16 dually....holy sh!t, I never want to tow with a SRW again. Having dual rear wheels is a huge plus and the stability is night/day over a SRW.

With my OBS, I can feel the trailer "pushing" the truck in the turns. With the dually, there is none.

With your truck and 53' trailer, you better airbag it and play close attention towing. What got me thinking is what would happen if a rear tire blows?

Billy T.
[email protected]

89 Stroker

Reaction score
switching it to a 48 foot enclosed , not much of a difference but i get what your saying, would prolly do bags on it.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I bought my '16 dually....holy sh!t, I never want to tow with a SRW again. Having dual rear wheels is a huge plus and the stability is night/day over a SRW.

With my OBS, I can feel the trailer "pushing" the truck in the turns. With the dually, there is none.

This, once you have tried DRW for heavy towing, there is no going back, and you wonder in awe how you went all those years without those two extra little tires..................

psduser1

Reaction score
Can it be done....yes. Is it safe....no and I speak from experience.

I have a '97 SCLB OBS with rear dually springs and air bags. For years I've been towing a 34' enclosed GN race car trailer, grossing over 21k. My rear axle weight is 6880lbs. If I had stock 235 tires, the tires would have been overloaded. I have 285s "E's" on the truck. The truck had no issues towing but I have to pay close attention all the time.

With your truck and 53' trailer, you better airbag it and play close attention towing. What got me thinking is what would happen if a rear tire blows?

Billy T.
[email protected]

Yup:thumbsup:

tbsimmons

Reaction score

Someone saw the light and its bright.
Others will defend having a SRW truck. To me it is one of the following reasons:
Never towed with a dually
Didn't buy a dually
Company doesn't buy Duallys.
Salesman or like says I am fine

I don't see how people can defend towing with a SRW over a dually. I towed my fiver a couple of times with my brothers 2011 F250. Did it work, yes. Did I like it HELL NO for the reasons stated. For the mind, whats easier to bend 4 sidewalls or 8 sidewalls.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Extra funny from the shipping guy.....

Im not a shipping guy. Never have been. And ive owned two duallys. And twelve srw trucks. Id have to be running an excavating company to buy a drw truck just for towing.

I went to peoples houses and often there were times i didnt have room for the extra set of wheels and tires. Simple adjustment of what would and would not work for me.

After nearly a million miles on srw duramaxes towing, ive never longed for a dually. But im not towing 53' trailers.

If I was towing a gigantic fiver or a gn with a dozer or backhoe on it, sure, Id go for the drw truck. In fact thats why i had my last dually. 96 cclb zf6 460. It had utility fiatbed and underbody boxes.

If i needed a dually I wouldnt hesitate to buy one.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Someone saw the light and its bright.
Others will defend having a SRW truck. To me it is one of the following reasons:
Never towed with a dually
Didn't buy a dually
Company doesn't buy Duallys.
Salesman or like says I am fine

I don't see how people can defend towing with a SRW over a dually. I towed my fiver a couple of times with my brothers 2011 F250. Did it work, yes. Did I like it HELL NO for the reasons stated. For the mind, whats easier to bend 4 sidewalls or 8 sidewalls.

What fiver do you have?

Ive seen a lot of people towing those with f150s lately. Not huge ones but 30-35 footers.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
41' and over 20000 loaded with a height around 13-4.
Well with that reasoning I should get a Tundra since it pulled the space shuttle.
I would not get a half ton anything to pull over about 8500. I don't even use my half ton to tow my car trailer with a load for the dump. I have way to many hills grades and mountains that are truck killers. Any fiver that is 35 there is no way it's for a half ton unless there is nothing in it.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

BS Hauler

Reaction score
And wait till the DOT stops you and checks you out with a 53 ft trailer on a single wheel pickup. That is going to be fun.

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
I pull 40 and 15. My buddy pulls 45 and 17 with a lifted Chevy.

I personally would prefer a dually but it does just fine.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
You would get impounded here. Way over length. Either way doing just fine doesn't make it safe. Like I said I pulled my toy hauler with a SRW, it sucked and the trailer moved the truck in every corner, wind was a nightmare and I had to have 100 psi in the bags before putting the trailer on the truck.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
It depends on the overall weight that everything will add up to. Stability would be the biggest benefit to a dually, I have never towed with one but have heard they are way better. I tow way more than I ever should with a SRW and have never had any issues, but there are a lot of times I i wish I had a 450. A big trailer will probably be more problematic due to wind than the actual weight.

89 Stroker

Reaction score
picking up a 48 foot enclosed Friday, dry weight of it i believe is somewhere around 7-8K , the max i would stuff in it would prolly be around 5K or so if that

TyCorr

Reaction score
41' and over 20000 loaded with a height around 13-4.
Well with that reasoning I should get a Tundra since it pulled the space shuttle.
I would not get a half ton anything to pull over about 8500. I don't even use my half ton to tow my car trailer with a load for the dump. I have way to many hills grades and mountains that are truck killers. Any fiver that is 35 there is no way it's for a half ton unless there is nothing in it.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

Thats not what I said. My point was a 365 hp halfton with provisions for towing is capable legally as many people are doing it. Then I asked what yours was. If you said a 30' I was fully prepared to laugh at you and call you paranoid. If you dont like others input a forum is a horrible place to be.

I agree with your reasoning for using a dually for your setup. But that doesnt mean every trailer is 20k lbs.

My buddyy Daves 32' fiver is legal and hes under weight. So im not sure where your paranoia is. He drives for a living too and weighs trucks for the company he manages so im 75% sure he's oribably right in his assertions.

Then theres the aspectof myself having pulled trailers everyday of my working life. You know how many times people told ne i needed a dually like it was the first day I planned to light out. Nope. I didnt need a dually. Not one bit. Had one.

I agree with why you need one but not every area where you think everyone else should too. There are people who flat out cant run drw trucks.

Theres a guy running a srw here somewhere who is spending a fortune trying to outsmart the fact his traileris junk and he needs a drw to pull it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
It depends on the overall weight that everything will add up to. Stability would be the biggest benefit to a dually, I have never towed with one but have heard they are way better. I tow way more than I ever should with a SRW and have never had any issues, but there are a lot of times I i wish I had a 450. A big trailer will probably be more problematic due to wind than the actual weight.

I feel you. I really do. But my mindset is the same. But i just couldnt run drw trucks. My trailer was tall too. 12'8. A giant friggin sail but unless we gad 60mph gusts it wasnt bad.